Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing Motul 600 with Ate Blue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 01:12 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can stand behind SRF... i used on my 997 never boiled... used all season ,,, never bleed the system... calipers got so hot on vir south the calipers began to leak but fluid was fine
Old 01-10-2006, 10:22 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Charlie,

I have been using SRF for the past couple of years. I never bleed, I just change it once a year. It's amazing how well it holds up. It never boils in my car. ATE would need to be bleed after every event. I've boiled it a couple of times, that's when I gave up. Living in Texas with 100F degree track days being the norm, SRF has yet to disappoint.

George
See, given that I change Motul after every event it isn't hard to justify the cost of SRF if one doesn't need to bleed as often. This is not an area that I will skimp on cost or time, but if SRF is that good, then why not.

Thanks all for the endorsements. I will consider SRF this season. I clearly have the fat pig car to justify its use! My friends don't call it "Tubbo" for nothing...
Old 01-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, here is a dumb question, if you have ATE in the system, do you need 2 cans of SRF to get a proper flush of the system? (one for the flush and 1 to fill it back up)
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did. Results were marginal after the first flush. Suspect I still had some ATE in the brake system [ABS plumbing] and the clutch circuit. SRF is chemically incompatible with non-synthetic fluids.

Life was good after the second flush. No bleeding, rock solid.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem with a long brake pedal (that is the result of boiling fluid) is the longer term influence on the confidence level of the driver. It takes a while to brake at your markers if you nearly had an "off" after furiously pumping the pedal and barely making it around the corner. I only use SRF. Never had a problem.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:14 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SRF is fully miscible with all DOT 3 and 4 fluids. It is not based on glycols as most other fluids are but it can be mixed with other fluids without any reaction problems. The results will not be as good as pure SRF as the lesser fluid will act as a weak link so to speak. The best thing to do is charge the brake system with SRF after a complete rebuild and cleaning. Short of this you can vacuum evacuate the existing system and then charge with SRF. Drive the car and get all components to cycle to mix the new with any remaining older fluid and repeat the vacuum flush and charge. Pressure flush is more of a dilution method than vacuum removal. Nether method will get it all out in one shot and vacuum will require more work in air removal. You can jump the ABS pump on some of the systems in order to cycle the fluids but other than a teardown there will be some glycol based fluids remaining. It would be good if you could test for Glycols and this would let you know how effective the change was. I would bet that even a diluted by glycol SRF charge will be better than a pure glycol based fill and each time you flush and replace with SRF there will be less and less glycols in the system. How much less depends on the methods used and the complexity of the system.

SRF acts differently to moisture than the glycols. It does absorb moisture but to a lesser extent and with less loss of boiling point % for %
Old 01-11-2006, 10:34 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I did for peace of mind is add temperature strips to my calipers. If I ever see temps above 470F, I'll do a quick bleed. Have yet to get them that hot.

I get a negative reaction locally when I taught the virtues of SRF. I always get, "too expensive", "ATE is just as good", "I don't need anything THAT good". I guess to me in the larger scheme of things, $70 per year is miniscule compared to just about every other thing on my car. Ok, you might need two bottles the first time, $140. Heck, I would pay more than $140 a year just so that I don't have to bleed after every event.

Finally, if you buy in bulk, you can get pretty good discounts. Typically, several of us go in on a case of SRF, which equates to about $55 per bottle.

George

Quick Reply: Mixing Motul 600 with Ate Blue