Sponsored by:

Pondering Time Trials vs. Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest you start in HPDE3 and if you find it too slow go to 4. In 4 it's all open passing and no point-bye required. If you've not run that way before, it can take a bit of adjustment.

Having your own AMB transponder makes life easier, especially if it's hard wired. I found the cheapest source was PCA club racing. There is a form on the web site.

If my car is done as promised, I'll be seeing your guys at Infineeon on 2/4 and 5.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:38 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom W
I'd suggest you start in HPDE3 and if you find it too slow go to 4. In 4 it's all open passing and no point-bye required. If you've not run that way before, it can take a bit of adjustment.

Having your own AMB transponder makes life easier, especially if it's hard wired. I found the cheapest source was PCA club racing. There is a form on the web site.

If my car is done as promised, I'll be seeing your guys at Infineon on 2/4 and 5.
I appreciate the suggestion but at the same time it's going to be my first time in HPDE4 at some point no matter what. I already bought the AMB Transponder and I'm about to order my new Pilot Sport Cups or I might go with the Dunlop Rs on my stockers. Coilovers installed gotta put the sparcos back in and I'm ready.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:21 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

If my car is done as promised, I'll be seeing your guys at Infineeon on 2/4 and 5.
Tom what are you having done to your car? Do you know of a good shop in the bay area?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car is in for a major makeover. I decided last year to keep it for a few years so I had a new engine built to replace the one that went kaboom in my first race. With the transition from DE to racing, I had to decide what class I wanted to fit into. Stock was no longer a real option and few in NorCal actually race stock 993s or 964s. So I went with PRCs new GTL class as the basis of what to do. I can also do NASA's GTS-Challenge too without issue as PRC runs with NASA (so no new license or tech required).

The car will be going in shortly to get RSR body work to fit 10-11" rubber in front and 12-13" in the rear. The sun roof mechanicals are being removed and it will be welded into place. A fiberglass trunk hood will be used and a 3.8 wing with extensions added to the back. The gas tank will be removed to allow all the crap between it and the firewall to be removed (I no longer have heat or AC). I'm almost done removing all the carpet and sound-proofing (just some glue left to mostly remove). The lower dash will be removed too. Jongbleod will go up to Jerry Woods to measure and test fit new wheels to the new body once the body work is complete. I'm looking at getting 9.5 and 12" wide, 18" diameter rims. Though much bigger, they will weigh about what the 17" cup II rims I have now weigh (19-20 lbs). So, when done, the Turtle should be "fatter" but lighter. I'm trying to get under 2500 lbs. It will still be slow as I'll be the one driving it. I'm leaving the doors and windows stock for now.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys -

I'm planning on running the PCA-GGR TT at Sears Point too. I think my car is in TT5 but it's far optimized to the rules. Slicks are only 50 pts and I'd think they'd make as much of a time difference as the 100 pt bump from street tires to R-compounds. I'm not that hardcore though and I'm only out there to have some fun.

Tom - it sounds like you're building quite a beast. I can't to see it up and running.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:49 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis K
Hi guys -

I'm planning on running the PCA-GGR TT at Sears Point too. I think my car is in TT5 but it's far optimized to the rules. Slicks are only 50 pts and I'd think they'd make as much of a time difference as the 100 pt bump from street tires to R-compounds. I'm not that hardcore though and I'm only out there to have some fun.

Tom - it sounds like you're building quite a beast. I can't to see it up and running.

50 points for slicks is not much eh? maybe i should downgrade my brakes back to oem so i can run slicks and not bump myself up another class

are you running seca again? if not cya @SP
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 PM
dnitake
Racer

Watch the mods if you run R tires. Only 150 points til you need a roll bar.

BTW does anyone know if a harness bar rated as an anchor point for the shoulders and stock seats is a NO NO? The stock seats have the integrated headreast w/ no holes. If there is a problem, are there brackets or belt hardware to make it legal? Inspection is coming up soon. I have a BK 1029 Harness mount and a 5 point.

3.2T Time Trials
1. Roll Bars: Roll bars (or cages) are recommended in all cars. Roll bars are required in all open cars, including convertibles. The Boxster is defined as a convertible. 914s and Targas are not open cars. Roll bars or cages are required in non-open cars with greater than 250 mod points. Approved roll bars are defined in Appendix D
Old 01-07-2006, 12:24 PM
dnitake
Racer

I understand this is a new rating system this year for PCA. While I'm sure there is to be some controversy and amendments, this is quite a body of work especially for a bunch of non paid volunteers. My hats off to you if any of you involved read this. You are non-paid right? :-)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:23 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Guys I think for the time trials slicks wouldn't even be your best bet. From what I understand you have to get a lot of heat in them before they start working better then the R compounds. Not gonna happen in 1 warm up lap. The hoosier guy told me the AS304 would work the best but I think they'd be prone to cording. I'd go with the RS305 for the best result.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

so, based on this new pt system. a bone stock GT3 has a HUGE advantate, no?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:53 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

yes the gt3 has all of the go fast bit already and seemingly has an unfair advantage over cars modded to the gt3s base level. hell, the gt3 can put on slicks and be at my point level but i actually have more power than the gt3 but i don't have the stiff chassis
Old 01-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan: When I had stock seats (no holes) and a 6-point, I attached the shoulder belts to the roll bar and slid the sub belts through the seat back and sat on them (routing all the way to the front of the seat defeats the purpose). I used a strap on each side of the headrest to hold the shoulder belts together (in effect making an H-belt with a moveable H-cross member).

No offense, but I think the expense of slicks or Hoosiers for a TT is silly for all but the few really experience drivers who are so competative they feel they MUST "win". I treat GGR TTs as DEs and just go to have fun and friendly competition, not with the intent to win a class. I thinbk street tires for the first 3-5 DE days and then switching to R-compounds works fine. If anything, stay on street tires longer.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:05 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

No offense, but I think the expense of slicks or Hoosiers for a TT is silly for all but the few really experience drivers who are so competative they feel they MUST "win". I treat GGR TTs as DEs and just go to have fun and friendly competition, not with the intent to win a class. I thinbk street tires for the first 3-5 DE days and then switching to R-compounds works fine. If anything, stay on street tires longer.
i hear ya. i'm out there for fun and comraderie not to win..... though, winning is fine too. i won my class on the last TT at t-hill. class was Op and i won with a super slow time.... i was the only car in the class, LOL.

i'm still on the lookout for the stickiest street tires available (100+ treadwear) to drop me down a class.

Last edited by karlooz; 01-07-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:42 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

hey, the new cayman is only 500 base points only 50 points behind the 996 TT
Old 01-07-2006, 04:13 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.ipb-autosport.com/

They are a GGR TT sponsor and located in Sacto.

In this excercise to analyze the new GGR TT classification system, let's not forget that safety should be a priority. A base 996 is a fast car that needs to be respected. I'm not picking on you, bowman, but Sparco Roadsters are touring seats and don't carry a FIA or TUV certification. I worry that in the quest for the right car class and faster times that safty is taking a back seat. I would not TT a 996 using R-comps or slicks without a good race seat and at least a roll bar. I DE'd my 40th with a Sparco Rev seat, harness bar, and 5 point harness using MPSC's and found the car to be wickedly fast, easily getting into 5th gear at the end of the straight at TH. I quickly realized that a small mistake could be punished by a lot of damage. This is why I'm running a 78 SC! The 40th is now back to stock. So this is what I recommend for the TT.

1. Stay with street tires unless you are willing to add enough safty items to your car that you feel comfortable if you his something hard or roll it.

2. Don't mix harnesses and stock seats. The seats were not designed for them. You don't know what will happen in a crash.

NASA events in my experience are run with an eye on safety but much more relaxed than a typical PCA event. The drivers in the upper groups are faster and more aggressive and you may be mixed with racers tuning their cars for their sessions. You will get passed everywhere on the track.

I'll see you at Infineon!

Quick Reply: Pondering Time Trials vs. Mods