Pondering Time Trials vs. Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,

I didn't interpret it as cocky. GGR TT's are really 1.5 days of normal DE and 0.5 day of sending the cars out 4-5 at a time (well spaced) to run 3 laps, 1 warm-up and two timed. I don't find it too different to run the timed laps from running a nice clean lap in the DE portion.

When I ran the 993, it was covered by my normal insurance for all but the timed laps. I took the risk. The Turtle is "self-insured" for track mistakes. I have a policy for liability, theft and fire but no collision.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:15 AM
bowmanm98
Racer

Tom have you run with NASA before? Are they pretty cool or is it practically racing? I am going to TT out there in Feb as well. BTW with the new rules I have some room for more mods. Any suggestions? Coilovers, Seats, Rs, Dry cell...what next? I really want to do PCA with you guys but I don't have 6pts.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:44 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The GGR TT/AX point system is new and interesting. My 78 SC is in TT9 with DOT R-compounds and TT10 with street tires.

I'll be at Infineon Feb 24-26 with you nuts. This will also be my first outing on this track!

bowmanm98, you will be surprised how much faster you can go around a race track when you don't have to fight to stay in your seat. You should have a good single piece race seat and 5-6 point harness at the top of your mod list. I would forgo any serious weight loss measures if you drive your car on the street. Your next mod should be track time and instruction. I would put R-compound tires after this.

You can skip all this mod mess and buy Kim's Yellow Yonker 993!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:10 AM
bowmanm98
Racer

Originally Posted by earlyapex
bowmanm98, you will be surprised how much faster you can go around a race track when you don't have to fight to stay in your seat. You should have a good single piece race seat and 5-6 point harness at the top of your mod list. I would forgo any serious weight loss measures if you drive your car on the street. Your next mod should be track time and instruction. I would put R-compound tires after this.
I already have the seats Rs and coilovers. I have a harness bar too, but the bar sits a little higher then the holes in the seats. Any recommendations for installers? I'll be in Marin this weekend.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 AM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,
Thanks for the affirmation. I'll take one any day of the week :-)
Didn't mean to pry, but I saw your car and its mods on GGR. I see what you mean. The points for a heavily mod'd car add linearily. It sounds right that any one of these mods added to the base car would be a reasnable handicap, but as they combine, it might be a non-linear summation like root mean square or something. Hey, what do I know. GT3's might just be finger lickin' good to you.
I was fortunate enough to get a ride in Hank Watts' car at Infineon which weighs in at 1310 pts. I can't even intellectually gradate the performance gap btwn my car and his to account for the 710 point spread, driver notwithstanding. Like how far is a light year? Twice as far as half a light year.
This is going to be fun!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bowman: Yes. They run a very "millitary" DE, very different from PCA, NCRC and others. Mandatory drivers meetings and wrap-up's after each session. You get a sticker at the meeting and if you don't have the sticker on your car, you don't run the next session. I drove in HPDE3 and HPDE4 and found them no different than the advanced run groups with other organizations.

If you have the seat and belts, I'd leave it alone and spend some money on track time.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:59 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
Bowman: Yes. They run a very "millitary" DE, very different from PCA, NCRC and others. Mandatory drivers meetings and wrap-up's after each session. You get a sticker at the meeting and if you don't have the sticker on your car, you don't run the next session. I drove in HPDE3 and HPDE4 and found them no different than the advanced run groups with other organizations.

If you have the seat and belts, I'd leave it alone and spend some money on track time.

i ran the PRC/NASA event and it wasn't so strict. everyone was courteous and respected each other because hey, it a PORSCHE ONLY event. i heard the regular NASA events have boneheads who treat DE as a race. doesn't help that they don't care about banging up their civics against your porsche .

can't comment on the TT portion of a NASA event.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
tinymcoupe
Intermediate

I hope this does not crash this thread or misdirect it in anyway.

I will be doing TT this year with PCA OC chapter and the only mods I have done to my 01 996 C2 is the following:

1) PSS9
2) GHL headers and exhaust

What is the alignment spec that I should be shooting for de purposes? running on stock sport designs....what about tire sizes? I stock sizes now.
should I get gt3 sways or leave it alone?

Thank you in earnest

Adam

Old 01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

How many points do coilovers count against you in PCA? I got 30 for the non stock springs, is that correct?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
How many points do coilovers count against you in PCA? I got 30 for the non stock springs, is that correct?

looks like 10 points for " 67. The car has non-stock adjustable coil spring platforms " and 10 points for " 75. b) The car has shock absorbers with greater than one external adjustment"
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Oh yeah, I don't have adjustable shocks so it would be 40 I guess? Plus 10 for the seats and 100 for the tires. I'm looking at 650 even. Does that sound right Carlos?

You think NASA TT is a bad idea?

Does PCA use the AMB Transponder to time you?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I don't have adjustable shocks so it would be 40 I guess? Plus 10 for the seats and 100 for the tires. I'm looking at 750 even. Does that sound right Carlos?

You think NASA TT is a bad idea?

Does PCA use the AMB Transponder to time you?

hmm i thought the JICs are adjustable.

you have r-compounds (100), non-stock springs (30) and adjustable springs(10), stock rear spoiler (5) and race style seats (10). you have adjustable sway bars? otherwise it looks like 155 mod points + 500 base points = 655 -> TT7 . missed TT8 by 5 points! you have a 45 point mod cushion to TT6

yes PCA uses AMB. planning on buying one intead of renting it every time.

don't know about the NASA TT but it sounds fine. i was just stating there are boneheads (gross generalization) in HPDE. TT would be very controlled. like GGR.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:39 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

I know of a group buy where you can get the AMB for $305 shipped no tax if you're interested.
That spoiler thing is stupid, lol. If I go to a 19 does that count against me? Only if they are wider huh. I am thinking 19s with MPSC is the ticket.

What class are you in Carlos?

Wait check this out, I think 30 is the max.

NOTE: If you selected option 65), you are not required to select 66) in respect to spring platforms.

I have the non adjustable shock JICs 7k/10k ones. No sway bars. I kinda like the understeer bias. Not looking to go off *** backwards at Infineon.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know of a group buy where you can get the AMB for $305 shipped no tax if you're interested.
That spoiler thing is stupid, lol. If I go to a 19 does that count against me? Only if they are wider huh. I am thinking 19s with MPSC is the ticket.

What class are you in Carlos?

Wait check this out, I think 30 is the max.

NOTE: If you selected option 65), you are not required to select 66) in respect to spring platforms.

I have the non adjustable shock JICs 7k/10k ones. No sway bars. I kinda like the understeer bias. Not looking to go off *** backwards at Infineon.
66) doesn't pertain to a 996 anyway. "If you selected option 65), you are not required to select 66) in respect to spring platforms" but you still have to choose 67.

diameter doesn't count for our cars but width does. i guess you are limited to 235ft/265rr with the MPSC. you ccould go with pirelli directional 235 up front and 295 asimetrico in the rear. the 295 is recommended for a 10.5" wheel but maybe you can squeeze em onto a 10"

with regards to NASA TT's, i think you have to progress to HPDE4 before you can TT. how many track days do you have? not sure but you might want to check. i'm thinking about doing it too.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:12 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Oh you're right, they have the camber plates. I am at 2 degrees camber all the way around and a tiny bit of toe front and back. TT7 it is. I can use the Dry cell and maybe get some exhaust too. Do you have any of your old exhaust for sale? 265/235 sounds cool and they are so light. 21lbs I think. I wish I knew of a good shop to install some 6pts and a fire extinguisher.

I told the guy my experience and that I have done some middle groups and he said if you're comfortable with open passing go ahead. If there is a lot of traffic I'll just pull off and get space, I do that no matter what group I'm running.

Come out feb 4th/5th to infineon with NASA. I think you get 4 sessions instead of 5 but is should be fun.

What tires did you end up getting? I say Sport Cups but I am biased. They seem like the fastest Rs that have tread and last longer than one weeked.

Quick Reply: Pondering Time Trials vs. Mods