Sponsored by:

Brake pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:27 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake pressure sensor

I installed a brake pressure sensor in my 964 RSR over the week-end and have a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me with...
To install the sensor I removed the brake line from the ABS pump to the bulkhead, cut a bit of tube and installed a T junction so that you had the line just like before (the horizontal bit of the T) but also an area to install the pressure sensor (in the vertical bit of the T). The issue that i MAY have is that the flaring tool that I used just did single female flares (i.e. like the top of a funnel) and I noticed that the original Porsche brake lines had a conical shaped flare. Is this an issue or will this work just fine? I have plenty of time to fix this before I try in case it's not good - either way, I will drive the car and test everything before I drive it at speed but I would value your opinions/wisdom
TIA
JM
Old 01-04-2006, 05:52 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche uses a metric bubble flare. I would not recommend using a standard flare in its place.

The following is the cool hydraulic hand held unit I am getting that does all types of flares...

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8700

I am not an expert on it, but it does not look like a wise idea by the shape and sealing areas of both flares...

Norm
Old 01-04-2006, 06:03 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

A more cost effective solution is just go to NAPA. They have all different lengths of metric brake lines with the fittings and bubble flares already on both ends.

Of course you wont have a cool new tool :-)

Norm
Old 01-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also don't want to look at post-ABS brake pressure, unless you are evaluating the performance of the ABS system.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
You also don't want to look at post-ABS brake pressure, unless you are evaluating the performance of the ABS system.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Chris,
Can you tell me more? It looks like all lines go from the brake fluid reservoir to the ABS pump and then from there get distributed, through the firewall to all calipers. Did I miss something?
Thanks
JM
Old 01-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to tap in between the master cylinder and the ABS pump. If your car is a real RSR (or turbo or C4) then the master cylinder and booster assembly is bolted to the firewall next to the fuel tank.

If you have a C2 made into an RSR then the master cylinder is between the front wheels under the trunk floor.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 01-05-2006, 05:54 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
You want to tap in between the master cylinder and the ABS pump. If your car is a real RSR (or turbo or C4) then the master cylinder and booster assembly is bolted to the firewall next to the fuel tank.

If you have a C2 made into an RSR then the master cylinder is between the front wheels under the trunk floor.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Chris,
Thanks so much for the clarification, the car is a real RSR and I think that I did exactly what you said. I will re-check though to make sure.
What about the flaring question I asked. Is the flaring I did not appropriate?
All the best
JM
Old 01-05-2006, 07:15 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

Porsche (and many Euros) uses ISO or "bubble" flares. The other type is the inverted flare seen on most US cars. There is nothing wrong with either type. It is merely a matter of campatibility. If you have used the proper flare for the components you have, and done a good job of it, it should be fine.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Porsche (and many Euros) uses ISO or "bubble" flares. The other type is the inverted flare seen on most US cars. There is nothing wrong with either type. It is merely a matter of campatibility. If you have used the proper flare for the components you have, and done a good job of it, it should be fine.
I did use the right flare for the component. Thanks so much!
JM
Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Default Correction - did it all wrong

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I did use the right flare for the component. Thanks so much!
JM
Finally looked at the PET charts and now understand all I did was wrong - thanks to all for pointing it out.

One more question: There are 2 lines coming from the master cylinder going to the ABS pump. Can I take either one?

Sorry for all these basic questions, just learning!

JM
Old 01-07-2006, 08:34 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe this is the correct schematic?

I think you'd be targeting #6 or 7, depending on whether you wanted to monitor front or rear brake activity.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:42 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
I believe this is the correct schematic?

I think you'd be targeting #6 or 7, depending on whether you wanted to monitor front or rear brake activity.
Yes, that's what I'm ordering from Gert Carnewal but I was wondering if anyone knew which was front and which was rear. I don't think that it's a problem either way since the proportion between front and rear is not adjustable but it would be nice to know...

Anyway, thanks to all!
JM

Quick Reply: Brake pressure sensor