Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks, I misunderstood.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:53 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do they use treated plywood for floors? Some of the websites I looked at, said Advantech, which is not teated to my knowledge. Seems for long term use, the treated plywood would be best (other than extruded alum).
Old 12-26-2005, 12:19 PM
camber799
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, the extruded aluminum is the best but is BIG $. It is worth it if you are going to own the trailer for years and have the $.

The plywood floor situation varies by mfgr.You really have to investigate each manufacturers choice. Some use marine plywood and then do all sorts of finishing proceses to make the plywood last as long as humanly possible. Some use cheap plywood and don't do anything at all (rare). I'm not aware of some of the newer materials but a marine plywood or similar along with some good coatings would make for a good floor. If you plan on owning the trailer for a long time you should avoid the trailers that have untreated, poor quality flooring.

I don't mean to scare you regarding flooring. Even the cheapest trailer floors last a long time. It just seems to me a wise decision to investigate the flooring before you buy. If all other things are equal, I'd choose to go with a manufacturer that puts some money into the floor. I'd pay a little more to get that.

I hope this helps.

PS Here is the link for Advantech http://huberwood.com/builders/dsp_pr....cfm?doc_id=23
Old 12-26-2005, 02:38 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just when you think you've heard it all about enclosed trailers, well here is another...Millennimum. I picked up a 22 enclosed w 2/ 5200 bs axles for $8500. It weights in at 3500lbs. BTW that is w/an extended tongue and cabinets and power. It comes w/ a finished interior as well. I have had nothing but GREAT!!! things to say about Millennium. Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:34 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
It sounds like you want enclosed. Try ATC: www.aluminutrailer.com. I love mine.
Ditto - I just ordered a stacker, my second ATC trailer. Their great service and ability to customize to your spec is terrific. Their trailers are top of the line.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:02 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sleder:

Did you buy the Millineum trailer that was on ebay in WV? If so, I was watching that auction pretty closely.

Brian
Old 12-26-2005, 08:11 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, I bought mine this past May. They were great to work with, and they deliver when promised!!! Brian are you still on for NASA VIR?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:42 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The advantech seems to have a 50 year warranty which at least sounds good. I see the tile floors and also the tile floor with Alum diamond plate runners. Any opinions here?

I have heard from a couple of local PCA memebers who have bought from ATC and all are very happy with their trailers both in the buying process and with the trailers specifically.

Mike
Old 12-26-2005, 10:59 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm hoping I'll be with NASA at VIR. I had my car weighed and teched today.

Scheduled to have it dynoed tomorrow.

Brian
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 AM
camber799
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikew968
The advantech seems to have a 50 year warranty which at least sounds good. I see the tile floors and also the tile floor with Alum diamond plate runners. Any opinions here?

I have heard from a couple of local PCA memebers who have bought from ATC and all are very happy with their trailers both in the buying process and with the trailers specifically.

Mike
I haven't owned a trailer with tile flooring so I am not speaking with personal experience but I think the diamond plate will hold up better. Leaving the wood exposed is not a good idea. Some people paint a wood floor to seal it but I have seen people put their car in the trailer with hot tires. When the get home and try to unload the tires have stuck to the wood and literally delaminate the plywood by pulling it up. If you want to save money and have a wood floor you should get four pieces of diamond plate and screw them to the floor where the car sits so that the tires are resting on the aluminum.

I would avoid carpet. Some show car guys go for that but liquids end up on the floor and it's a challenge to get out of the carpet.

If you are a racer I think you'd be happy with diamond plate or extruded aluminum (provided you want to sepnd the $).
Old 12-27-2005, 11:30 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We use Advantech in our homes, but it is an interior product. Exposed from underneath without some type of sealant/paint would shorten it's lifespan considerably. Even then, I would worry about water getting in places you can't see.

Originally Posted by mikew968

Mike
Old 12-28-2005, 06:09 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had an open ATC and a buddy of mine has an enclosed ATC. Both were the lightest trailers in their respective classes. If you are at all concerned about weight you should at least look at an ATC.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The advantech in a trailer application has a 15 yr warranty. I agree the ADP over the advantech would be the combination of function and price.

I think that I will order the ATC:
20' with 4' wedge
alum walls and ceiling
wired battery, with 12v flor lites and loading lites
Alum extruded ramp and flap
4' side door
airline track

Anything I am missing?

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Mike - thanks for your email; I sent you a reply that should help.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 12-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

HI All,

I'm very happy so far with the ATC40 I got last winter. I put a good chunk of miles on in 2005 virtually trouble free. It does tend to be a tail dragger. RR track as Summit pt cost me a drag wheel, but the mounting was designed right (sacrificial) and welding in a new one was not a big deal.
Three tips for what they are worth. The aluminum flooring shown is a snap to sweep or wash out. I have dealt with diamond plate it looks cool and is less slippery when wet but is a bitch to sweep. You will notice my SRW truck. I use truck air bags to beef up rear springs and the rig maxes out tires. The reasons are this is a business owned truck (commercial plate in MA) so if I went with DRW truck I would have been over CDL weight limit for Gross Combination weight. In fact the trailer GVWR was reduced even with SRW to get under limit (26,001lbs combined). I don’t thing this is an issue for privately owned but with business owned I was extra careful as my co-driver does not have CDL. Also I hate dually as a daily driver! Lastly and most important my truck has a 6.5” bed. I went through mega adjustments Including a custom modified truck hitch point to get cab clearance of those gas station tight turns and double backs
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Trailers...