Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin quits F1

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005 | 10:14 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

F1 was so comical this year they should get all the drivers on tricycles that are too small for them and race around a go kart track! Now that would be entertainment. WRC has some class and its drivers have it too. Those guys get my vote for the best car atheletes of the year and the most exciting races.
Old 12-15-2005 | 10:28 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Let's not forget the GP-2 series this past season. That gets my vote for best racing entertainment from the F-1 folks.
Old 12-15-2005 | 01:40 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Next few seasons should be very interesting, lots of changes.

Redbull has secured Adrian Newey as technical director. How well will the McLaren car develop without his guidence? Redbull has bought Minardi and will be running two teams, it will be interesting to see how all that works out and how similar the cars are considering that F1 rules require each team to design its own chassis. Honda has bought the remaining shares of BAR to make it an all Honda team, I expect them to continue doing well (as long as they don't get caught cheating this year!). BMW split from Williams and has taken over Sauber. Sauber has been a pretty good private squad; with BMW in control, and with their budget and experience, they should also run well. How good will the Williams team be without the BMW engine and without any superstar drivers? A new F1 team with Honda power is being started by former GP driver Aguri Suzuki. V10s and V8s will be on the grid together next year and the rumor is the restricted V10s outperform the new V8s. The qualifying scheme that put Ferrari at such a disadvantage last year has been changed, and several teams have switched from Michellins to Bridgestones. Rumors of a manufacturer breakaway series in the future still persist, while Max Mosley wants to reduce cost and turn F1 into a low-tech spec series.

Lots of changes...
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mitch236
Let's not forget the GP-2 series this past season. That gets my vote for best racing entertainment from the F-1 folks.
What short race clips I saw of GP2, it was awesome. F1 farm club baby!
Old 12-16-2005 | 10:16 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
Exactly ! I did not like the tire situation in F1 this year...take the rubber out of the equation and let the driver/motor tuning determine the champ...Obviously, I am taking absolutely nothing from Alonso, however, I think Kimi would have been champ if it wasn't for a couple of unfortunate mechanical failures.

Micheal was just plain screwed having to ride on Bridgestone(michelin had it goin on). I just can't see that the motor/chassis/driver was responsible for his poor showing this season...gots to be the rubber
SO i see you are not tired of Michael , the FIA and ferrari continuos manipulation of the sport, letting both Schumacher and ferrari looking good all the time . After having the best racing in F1 in over a decade and very competitive racing , with really great drivers , you are disappointed for michael!

Well i feel the same way for barrichello ,along with anyone who has challenged michael over the last decade or so , having been made to make michael look good.( this is not to say he is not , just had a dose of helping along the way) Michael and bernie has done a great deal of harm to the sport creating michael's image, after the death of Senna and now, finally, the sport has a number of talented drivers to move on with. bridgestones or not, this will be michaels last year !
A sight overlooked by most is that Barrichello on leaving ferrari this year was taken out of the loop completly , this led to most of michael setup problems , if you really study , follow ,the sport he uses barrichellos early practice times and setups to find his own , without this michael and ferrari was left searching .
Old 12-16-2005 | 11:29 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

From a meeting late last week...

Originally Posted by FIA
The World Motor Sport Council met in Monaco on December 9, 2005. The following decisions were taken:

FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

It was agreed that the main objectives of the 2008 Formula One Technical Regulations should be to reduce drastically the cost of competing and to change the aerodynamic characteristics of the cars so as to make it easier to overtake without increasing cornering speeds.

Detailed regulations will be finalised in the week commencing 19 December and will include:

A standard Electronic Control Unit
Long life engines
Long life gearboxes
A single tyre supplier
Restrictions on the ability of the teams to change their aerodynamics during the season
Rev-limited engines
and other measures
Old 12-16-2005 | 03:44 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

I can understand the need to control costs but I sometimes think that is a bit of a red herring to disquise the real reasons for doing something. I think having two tires was good for the sport, and going to a spec ecu, spec tyre, aero change restrictions, rev limiters does not make the series more interesting to me but just the opposite.

As far as the sport favoring Michael, conspiracy theories abound on that subject. I ask what happened this year, Ferrari and Michael were clearly out done by Renault, who had a better package than Ferrari. Clearly the tires were a big part of that issue. If I was in charge for the next year I would limit aero to improve passing abilities, allow tire changes, allow qualifying setups to be changed for the race, beyond that I would not change a whole lot.
Old 12-16-2005 | 07:50 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
SO i see you are not tired of Michael , the FIA and ferrari continuos manipulation of the sport, letting both Schumacher and ferrari looking good all the time . After having the best racing in F1 in over a decade and very competitive racing , with really great drivers , you are disappointed for michael!

Well i feel the same way for barrichello ,along with anyone who has challenged michael over the last decade or so , having been made to make michael look good.( this is not to say he is not , just had a dose of helping along the way) Michael and bernie has done a great deal of harm to the sport creating michael's image, after the death of Senna and now, finally, the sport has a number of talented drivers to move on with. bridgestones or not, this will be michaels last year !
A sight overlooked by most is that Barrichello on leaving ferrari this year was taken out of the loop completly , this led to most of michael setup problems , if you really study , follow ,the sport he uses barrichellos early practice times and setups to find his own , without this michael and ferrari was left searching .
That may all be true, however you cannot take anything away from Michael's driving skills. He is still the best driver in Formula 1and has been since driving for Benneton. It too bad Senna didn't live longer to drive. The rivalry racing between those two would have been great...cheers
Old 12-16-2005 | 11:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
F1 was so comical this year they should get all the drivers on tricycles that are too small for them and race around a go kart track! Now that would be entertainment. WRC has some class and its drivers have it too. Those guys get my vote for the best car atheletes of the year and the most exciting races.

Riiiiiiiigggghhhht.

I totally agree about WRC drivers but what you say about F1 drivers is totally bull****.
Old 12-17-2005 | 12:05 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
That may all be true, however you cannot take anything away from Michael's driving skills. He is still the best driver in Formula 1and has been since driving for Benneton. It too bad Senna didn't live longer to drive. The rivalry racing between those two would have been great...cheers
"clears the throat".

Just had to say I disagree.

Yes, he is awesome driver but no way no how he is currently the best driver, or he is the best driver since driving for Benetton.

In my book, drivers who shared track with MS, there's at least Senna (doh!), Hakkinen and Raikkonen who are better driver than he is.

Two of them are Finns but that's not why I think this way.

Just looking at the situations where MS (or dirver's compared to him here) has NOT had the world championship car, those three (AS, MH & KR) have done better.

MS has only once won driver's championship without the championship car and never without Rory Byrne & Ross Brawn, big chunk of credit goes to those two guys.

And the above mentioned Ferrari, MS, FIA marriage certainly hasn't made his championships any harder...
Old 12-17-2005 | 01:23 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
"clears the throat".

Just had to say I disagree.

Yes, he is awesome driver but no way no how he is currently the best driver, or he is the best driver since driving for Benetton.

In my book, drivers who shared track with MS, there's at least Senna (doh!), Hakkinen and Raikkonen who are better driver than he is.

Two of them are Finns but that's not why I think this way.

Just looking at the situations where MS (or dirver's compared to him here) has NOT had the world championship car, those three (AS, MH & KR) have done better.

MS has only once won driver's championship without the championship car and never without Rory Byrne & Ross Brawn, big chunk of credit goes to those two guys.

And the above mentioned Ferrari, MS, FIA marriage certainly hasn't made his championships any harder...

I agree and concur on most , When Mika had a competitive car he made michael look silly most of the time . Do i believe Hakkinen to be better than Michael , ultimately NO!

Mika is a better racer , michael the more complete package . you can review
The races and passes made on Herr Macher by Mika , they showed how it is supposed to be done, michael passes where mostly clumsy , made in the pits , or resulted in off's with him getting the better deal ( i will say Michael is the luckiest WC i have ever seen ).
The biggest deal to affect Michael and ferrari this year , THE LACK OF ALLOWED TIRES CHANGES DURING PIT STOPS..

MICHAEL ` was never one to conserve tires and in reality the sport came to michael when in 94 they went to refueling , this effectivily allowed banzai sprints between pit stops without the need to pace the distance .

I/we can get into many situations concerning the MOST SUCCESSFUL F1 WC OF ALL TIME , he is, in my humble opinion , just not the best or the greatest.

THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE KING ! ALONSO 05

Quick Reply: Michelin quits F1