Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever experience pad knock back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Chris is right on.. (those Swift guys know their brakes )

The most likely culprit is stoptech's two piece attachment system, poor torque takeout, excessive float, etc. but the thermal stability issues could also be a problem resulting in TV and excess RO. Poor stiffness and seal tension issues with the brembo/stoptech caliper can also result in inconsistent piston rollback.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like i'll be getting new bearings .

i've had the stoptechs at least a year now. i have about 20 track days and the knockback started this past event. the previous events i have been using dunlop SSR r-compounds and started using wider and stickier MPSCs. i don't think it is because of the design of the stoptechs but i do think that the increased diameter contributes to it.

the front pads are still good but i do have to replace the rears.

Originally Posted by wlittleman
I'm afflicted with this problem. I have the stoptech kit for a 350z, and I have pad knockback pretty bad. I installed the brake kit when the car had only 10,000 miles on the odo and two track days within those miles. I experienced knockback on my first track outing with the new brake kit. I had brand new pads and bearings that should be practically brand new.

With knockback this bad, I'm wondering how much worse it's going to get when I put on r-comps next month, and load up the hub even more. After much thought, discussion, and research, it have come to the conclusion that the 350z has weak hubs/bearings. There is no play in the wheel when I jack up the vehicle and do the shake test either, and the wheels seem to rotate well.

Many folks who DE their 350z's and use stoptech brakes are experiencing this, and now that I hear that karlooz has this problem, I am again wondering if this is a hub flex problem or a brake design problem. The Porsche brake design shouldn't be that far different from a stoptech kit should it? Do you guys experience this with your oem brakes?

karlooz, was this your first experience with knockback with this brake kit, or is it a brand new kit? If you've been using this kit for a while now, and just started noticing knockback, then I think you should get your hub/bearings serviced or replaced.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart
Chris is right on.. (those Swift guys know their brakes )
Too funny Michael Andretti often complimented our Indy cars (Champ cars) with respect to our braking systems. He often said 'nothing brakes like a Swift'...Not sure if thats a good comment or???

Seriously, our upright evolution (1997-2000) seriously contributed to braking performance. Stiffer uprights = better brakes and less knockback.

Get those wheel bearings checked

Quick Reply: anyone ever experience pad knock back?