Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here with experience setting up a car specifically for snow & ice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:46 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
experienced Audi ice racers often run with locked differentials.
the EDL is not an effective substitute in snowy/icy conditions.
An old Audi is better at this than a newer one.
Some of the the most opinionated SOBs the world has ever seen are successful Audi ice racers. They favour the 5 cylinder motor.
Hi Robin,

Funny you should mention this. We've just been having a discussion on Audiworld on the same topic and came to the same conclusions:

Is the 4000 CS Quattro is the best Audi for snow & ice?

My solution will be to add an LSD to my S4. I'm hoping to install it in the next few weeks.

Stephen
Old 12-03-2005, 08:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockfan4
I picked a fwd car over awd for two reasons, weight and complexity. awd typically adds 200 - 300 lbs to a car, and I could get a VW down around 1600 lbs before it gets packed with snow. Second the awd cars seemed to always have some sort of mechanical problem. Maybe they're better now, I've been out of the game for a couple of years.

RWD is a lot of fun. There's two local cars that are a blast to see run. One is a 1st gen RX-7 with about a 1000 roofing nails in the tires, it just shreds the ice when it takes off. The other is an old 60's Plymouth, yes, with a hemi, with bolts in the tires. He runs ice drags and will run some of our events too. I might head out again this year, we'll see. Right now we're getting so much snow I'm afraid the ice won't be very good.
Sorry 4 WD faster all the time everywhere on loose surfaces !
Old 12-03-2005, 10:02 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob D..
Setup depends on what you want to do.
Right now, the goal is to just get out on the ice, try something new, have fun and hopefully learn something. Thanx to the above Chevette video, I already realise that it will take something a little different to my Audi to be competitive in ice racing.

Set-up so far mirrors some of the ideas you mention. One question I had though was tyre pressure. It makes sense that soft, pliable tyres are ideal for ice, but what is ideal for snow? I know that higher pressures are better for rain. Is snow more like rain or like ice? I would expect it to be more like rain and that you want the tyre to cut through the snow (where it is impossible for the tyre to cut through the ice).

I'm surprised that you say an Audi would be under powered with studs. Is there that much traction? I assume you are talking about the ice racing type studs and not the street studs we are use to.

Stephen

Quick Reply: Anyone here with experience setting up a car specifically for snow & ice?