996 Cup in SCCA ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:33 AM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Cup in SCCA ?

Can a 996 Cup run w/ SCCA club racing? What class? Are they competitive?

Thanks,
Old 11-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

They rule GT2 class on the regional level. Check out the national results. Not sure how they did on that level.

Hmmm, 6th, 8th and 10th in the run offs with our very own Mike Piera first cup car to finish. A few things to consider here. The people racing national GT2 are modified to the full advantage of the SCCA rules. A GT3 cup is racing other venues so is probably at a disadvantage at that level.

Last edited by Dbltime; 11-27-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:17 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

The GT3 cup car is quite competitive in SCCA GT2, but very track dependant.

I won the 5 nationals races I entered before the runoffs at tracks I knew pretty well. Pocono and the Glen have long straights where the Cup car has quite an advantage due to HP and aero. Similar advantages exist at Road Atlanta where I broke the SCCA track record at my 1st PCA club race there, and Road America. Mid Ohio was tough though, as the LIGHTWEIGHT tube frame cars killed me coming out of the slow corners (cup car is like 600 pounds heavier) and I could not pass even though my top speed was higher. Also GT2 is the toughest class at the runoffs as there are 23 national championships among the top 4 drivers and they had spent countless hours and dollars testing and racing at mid ohio over the years.

Topeka Heartland Park could be better for the cup cars but I dont know yet, at least it will not give them the advantage of racing there for so long.

Our race will be on Speed channel 1/1 at 1pm (easy to remember, watch while shaking off your hangover). I will have my 15 seconds of fame at the beginning of the show

Quick Reply: 996 Cup in SCCA ?