Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a lightweight battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I was planning on mounting my Odyssey on its side, but when it arrived I noticed that it states "not for inverted operation" or something like that on it. Anyone have any problems from mounting it on its side?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:24 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inverted means upside down. On its side is ok, upside down is not. I read on their website that mounting in any position except upside down is ok.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The Odyssey PC680MJT that Skip uses appers to be about a 1 1/2 inch taller than a standard battery. It seems to me the only way to mount it in the stock location is flat with the poles facing forward.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I had an Odyssey PC680 in the garage for about a year before I installed it (been kinda busy...); it fired the car right up and seemed to have discharged very little while stored, unconnected.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:21 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Campbell
FWIW I had an Odyssey PC680 in the garage for about a year before I installed it (been kinda busy...); it fired the car right up and seemed to have discharged very little while stored, unconnected.
This is what I would expect. The reputation for AGM batteries is that they discharge quickly. In fact, an AGM battery has less leakage than a normal wet lead acid battery. The only reason they appear to discharge faster is that they usually have less capacity. If the car has no draw on the battery then the battery will maintain a charge for a long period of time. If the battery is discharging quickly, then look to the car for the source of the loss and not the battery.

The solution is to either to disconnect the battery if it is going to be stored for a long period of time or to use a trickle charger. A trickle charger for a normal lead acid battery can be used for an AGM battery though the ideal trickle charge voltage would be slightly higher so the battery won't be maintained at 100% charge.

Stephen

Quick Reply: Looking for a lightweight battery