The Proper Care and Feeding of your Instructor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Proper Care and Feeding of your Instructor

I wrote this at the behest (challenge?) of Z-Man because he was looking for an article for his club's newsletter Porscheforus on DEs written from an Instructor's point of view. I will put it in our newsletter Der Gasser as well. If anyone else would like a copy of it I can e-mail you the word file.

The Proper Care and Feeding of Your Instructor

By Larry Herman

You see us frantically running from car to car, and then disappearing into our own rocket ships from time to time. Occasionally, you might even catch us huddled amongst our own, gesticulating wildly and laughing about some driving interplay. We are the illusive instructors, talented, experienced, and full of knowledge to be passed onto others, such as you. The problem is that we have a lot to do, but we don’t have much time, and so we need to be managed, and cared for, and loved. What I would like to do here is explain to you novice and intermediate drivers exactly how you can get the best out of your instructor.

The first and foremost thing to do at the beginning of an event is to seek out your instructor. Most clubs have assigned instructors and usually include that list as part of your registration package. Your instructor most likely will have towed their car there, and will be busy unloading and getting ready. If you get your stuff done right away, and seek them out, it will be one less thing for them to do. It’s usually not a bad time to introduce yourself, review your track experience, and get to know them. If that is not convenient for them, they will probably suggest a time to meet before your first run. That time can set the entire tone for your weekend. It gives you the opportunity to discuss your abilities, deficiencies, and goals for the event. It also gives them time to discuss their instructing style, what they will be looking for, and how they can best teach you. It’s a good way to understand each other. Some students like a lot of chatter, and some don’t. Same with instructors, some talk a lot, and others spoon feed information as it’s needed. This helps to put you both on the same page.

Pick up your instructor for your run session where they are setup, and be early. It gives them time to talk to you. If they are involved with something, it helps as a reminder that it’s time to go out, and once again they do not have to search for you. The few minutes you spend directly before and after your sessions are where a tremendous amount of timely information can be exchanged. Alternatively, you might spend lunch with them discussing the whole morning, but do not be put off if they politely decline. After all, it is their weekend too, and many like to spend some time amongst their friends and family.

First time out in the car, take it easy! Impress your instructor with your smoothness, knowledge of the line and self control. Don’t think or act like you are the next Fernando Alonzo, you are not. Nothing can start you out on the wrong foot more than charging headlong into the first turn with cold tires and an instructor who does not yet know your abilities. Show me how you can be smooth, and I'll show you how to go fast. If you are ragged and inconsistent, don't expect me to work on advanced techniques that require precise control and have a small margin of safety. You will spend the weekend plodding around on the line until I feel comfortable with you. And this is really the issue, comfort. Drive within your comfort zone and I will be comfortable too, and probably more receptive to you going faster. Here is the real truth: we go as fast as we do because we feel comfortable with what we are doing, not because we are scaring ourselves to death. I don't like my student scaring me either.

Do not be afraid to ask questions. Your driving skills need to be built upon a solid foundation of knowledge and repetition. If your instructor assumes that you understand a particular skill, but you do not, it may very well impact all of what they are trying to teach you. Remember that it is more embarrassing to slide off the track and crash your car than it is to ask the same question a dozen times until you understand the answer.

Be patient with your instructor. Just like not everyone can be a great driver, not everyone can be a great instructor. The difference is that one has to have a prerequisite amount of driving knowledge, skill, and seat time in order to be an instructor, and so they have much more experience than you do. Even if you may not agree with everything that they tell you, there are things that you still may learn. I still try different lines and techniques because I never know when I will find something just a little better than what I have been doing for years. Be receptive to different ideas. Just like you always hope to get an instructor that you really click with, we hope for the same in a student.

And finally, remember that your instructor is doing this for you because of their love for the sport, and their desire to help other similarly inclined drivers feel the same way. So, at the end of the event show them that you appreciate what they have done for you. Thank them, profusely. Buy them a beer, or if they are really good, a set of Pirelli P Zero Slicks (245 & 305 x 18 for me please).
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:12 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

nice job
Old 11-20-2005, 12:16 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Larry!

Good job!

Brian
Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very eliquentlly put You must be a very patient and understanding individual to write what needs to be said, but without the agression and anxiety that those issues bring about. Nice job.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:13 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry, how was lunch/ breakfast at Summit Point? We definitely appreciate your helping students and advanced group drivers. It was your influence that moved Darren into Black group where he belongs. I guess next year I am going to find out just how hectic your schedule is since I am signed up to take the national instructor's course at Pocono. Hope I can help take the load off by handling a green student or two. You mentioned comfort and this is very true. Running with your son on the track, we often take lead follow sessions at speed placing the car in the precise position each time(opinions add up). I was progressively building speed and was happy to be putting down 1:25's at Summit in a D class car without ever feeling concerned with car position or balance. My split times added up to an ideal 1:24 while I worked on a specific turn/section every other lap. I think early on students are just so excited and wanting to receive an instructor's praise, that they confuse speed with technic/smoothness. I learned this years ago while running with an out of region instructor. He was all over me about precision and smoothness and while I was running faster laps than him by some 5 seconds, he was absolutely correct. The next event I dialed it back and began structured improvements. It was immediately rewarded with advancement to a solo driver. I still enjoy getting feedback from veterans such as you and even more so when I start instructing. Key point, I see alot of white/black group drivers actually driving poorly after improving for so many years. Most of these individuals seldom or never take an instructor for a ride anymore.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:26 PM
agio
Racer

Larry, you have articulated the "life of an instructor" trackside! Well done. Down here in Florida, whether it's PCA, PBOC, NASA or Chin, at the drivers meeting the students are introduced to their instructors. Usually, there is adequate time for the interview process and to get ready for our run. We usually are the first run group. Your advise to get with the instructor at their location is smart and avoids wasted time and energy.
I concur and why not come down and run with us for the winter?
agio
Old 11-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Larry, a very well expressed view from the instructors seat. I have had you as well as many other great RTR instructors over my 7 years of DE progress. I have always felt safe and challenged to grow with the excellent instruction our region offers. My comfort zone has always been much slower then the car is capable of as I have worked on being smooth and consistent. Speed did come with the great instruction and lots of seat time working on the the issues that instruction brought out. I turned consistent 1:33 (even a few 1:32 laps) at Summit last weekend and that felt good but still in my comfort zone. Wouldn't be there without you instructors. THANKS!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:38 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry, from another instructors point of view...Thank you. Well written, informative and hopefully well read by all students of speed.
Hope to see you this upcoming season...
Old 11-21-2005, 02:13 AM
brucegre
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
First time out in the car, take it easy! Impress your instructor with your smoothness, knowledge of the line and self control. Don’t think or act like you are the next Fernando Alonzo, you are not. Nothing can start you out on the wrong foot more than charging headlong into the first turn with cold tires and an instructor who does not yet know your abilities.
Oh yes please.

I remember taking out my first instructor. It was on a track that I knew really well, and I had spent the previous three days flogging my 996TT around it on my own. To Marc's credit, he remained calm, but he was very, very insistent that I slow down. I never thought about his comfort, I just wanted to go fast.

Now that I spend a lot of time in the right hand seat, I know how he felt, so I'm very careful to explain to a first time student that all I want to see is smoothness and consistency. We can go fast after I'm comfortable.

Great article Larry.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:59 PM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Very well said..! You have nicely summarized a PCA weekend.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:52 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a great read for anyone new and a probably a great refresher for those that have been at it for awhile.

I don't think it could be anymore important for students to realize beforehand that the instructor knows more (particularly beginner/intermediate drivers) and to go into the event and be coachable. Personally, I go into an event with an open mind and take the instructor's word as gold because I know that the only way for me to be smooth and go fast is to value the instruction given to me. It seems that so far my instructors have really appreciated it and I've found that it helps me get better quicker. Probably something that all instructors probably hope for and which they deserve, for their willingness to ride along and teach those with less experience.

Grateful DE student,
Bill W
Old 11-22-2005, 12:17 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Larry that was a wonderful read and incredibly on target. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:14 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Larry, I am going to PM you for a copy to put in our newsletter down here.

Dan Smithyman
DE Chairman
Gold Coast Region PCA
Old 11-24-2005, 05:38 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Larry,
Very nicely written-expresses the relationship between instructor and student very well.
It would be very helpful for all DE's to make this suggested reading for students.
Looking forward to meeting you.
Thank you
Old 11-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very well written and an excellent view from the other side of the car!

As a new student (3 events, just promoted to blue) I appreciate the perspective and advice.

I will also pm you to ask for permission for out local PCA chapter to put it in their newsletter too.

Marc

Quick Reply: The Proper Care and Feeding of your Instructor