Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&N restraints - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:12 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I just placed my R3 order... thanks Tim!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:44 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope gbaker will post a recap after the 1st week of December. I for one will wait till then before I make my decision.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:27 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
I hope gbaker will post a recap after the 1st week of December. I for one will wait till then before I make my decision.
isn't the bottom line Hans or R3 ? Giving R3 it's due, I noticed that most NHRA Funny car guys wear the R3. Considering that they can hit the wall at over 300 mph, I think that speaks volumes for that restraint. Not saying it's better than a Hans...rather it makes more sense than a Hans if you ride/instruct other drivers....
Old 11-18-2005, 11:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
isn't the bottom line Hans or R3 ? Giving R3 it's due, I noticed that most NHRA Funny car guys wear the R3. Considering that they can hit the wall at over 300 mph, I think that speaks volumes for that restraint. Not saying it's better than a Hans...rather it makes more sense than a Hans if you ride/instruct other drivers....
I personally think the ISAAC is the most elegant solution from an engineering perspective. Of course, although an engineer by training, I no longer practice, so don't take my word for it. Just because most people are doing something doesn't make it the best (but I agree that there is nothing wrong with the HANS or R3).
Old 11-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my first event with an R3, 3 days at VIR.

I just couldn't see spending the money on a device and then get in a student's car with no protection. (My last student was a first day novice in a 996TT. We hit 140 on the straight at Summit, much faster than my '71)

I'm still learning the right sequence of events to put it on. Right now I put the R3 on, then my helmet, secure the straps, then get in the car. Getting the belts over the R3 and my shoulders requires some attention, and a few times over the event it felt like the helmet restraint straps got tighter, limiting movement to one side. This could have been a slight snag at the helmet rings or me simply moving around in the seat.

I'm using the supplied U shaped pad but it's still not as comfortable as the seat was before. If you need to go in reverse in the pits-it's all mirrors. I may adjust my seat further tilted back to compensate for the extra padding.

Even with a few issues on my first use, I'm completely sold on the concept of an H&N restraint and I really like the R3. I wore it as a passenger and every session driving and now I won't go out without it.

Todd
Old 11-19-2005, 01:51 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll pass on the news.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

We may have some summary information in a few days. Putting together the documentation will take a few more.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
James Achard
Pro

I heard a rumor that the patent expires on the HANS device in the not to distant future. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If so, this could have some interesting effects on their pricing.

James
Old 12-05-2005, 07:36 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

The first patent was issued in 1987, the second in 2000.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rockitman
It is interesting to note that NA$CAR, described by some to be on the forefront of closed cockpit safety technology, has mandated HANS only for the past season (or perhaps 2).

If in fact SFI38.1 has any substantial merit, an R3 device (which is 38.1 certified/compliant) SHOULD be legal to use in NA$CAR.

Why then is the HANS the ONLY H&N restraint allowed?

It would a technical contradiction for a sanctioning body to mandate one certified/compliant device and exlcude another.
If this line of logic is followed, then the same sanctioning body could, for example, mandate Willans harnesses and exclude all others, independent of any SFI/FIA certification.

As Master Yoda would say: " A dark and dangerous place this line of thinking leads".....
Old 12-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Super D
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
I'll quote myself from this thread;

...The HANS and Issac devices are the pinacle of H&N protection, both testing to a very high level of neck tension reduction. The R3 is significantly lower in this regard, but well within the range considered surviveable. ...
I've used the HANS for years, but a few friends have started using the R3. You're stating above that the R3 tested significantly lower in neck tension reduction. Can you provide a link to that data? It's pretty important, if that's true. I'll reserve judgement until I read it for myself. Thanks very much.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
I've used the HANS for years, but a few friends have started using the R3. You're stating above that the R3 tested significantly lower in neck tension reduction. Can you provide a link to that data? It's pretty important, if that's true. I'll reserve judgement until I read it for myself. Thanks very much.
http://hansdevice.com/core/media/med...44d8e&_xt=.pdf

Too bad they wouldn't put an ISAAC on this plot as well, but such is the nature of gorillas these days.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:11 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super D
Perhaps "significantly" was indeed not the best choice of words.

Based on what I have seen, the rankings of efficiency are HANS (by only a very slight margin, and only in some parameters) over the Isaac, then the Isaac Link, then the R3. You might actually call it a dead heat between the first two, and they both have strengths and "weaknesses" relative to eachother.

ONE SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM with trying to compare efficacy is that not all of the devices have been tested under the same conditions. Hutchens and R3 are touting their recent results, but it is my understanding that those tests were only conducted under the edicts of the SFI 38.1 regs, which I understand are open to SERIOUS debate as to their worthiness.

Both Isaac and HANS have been tested quite a bit. R3 does not offer any results other than the SFI 38.1 test that I am aware of. I am left to wonder if their is a reason for this? They also have used some rather deceptive tactics to try and claim an advantage over other devices. I must add that they are not alone here by any means.

MY OPINION: Based on my study of the bio mechanics of what goes on here, I do not see how any device that relies on the human body for retention can be as effective as a device that does not. The human body is not a hard object, and clothing and tissue will take some time to deform before skeletal hard points are fully engaged. Since the amount of force generated is a factor of time, this is a significant point.

There are varying degrees to which different devices rely on the body for retention. HANS and Isaac(2); essentially, not at all. On the other end of the spectrum is the original Hutchens device; "discredited" because of this rather large time factor. The upgraded Hutchens II seeks to address this, but it still relies on the human body and a rather long load path for retention. The R3 relies far less on the body for retention, but that reliance is NOT eliminated.

Any H&N device is better than nothing, but there are differences. To my knowledge, the R3 does not test as well as the Isaac or HANS. However, the ability to go where the wearer goes is a big advantage in some circumstances.

I hope that I have not made any errors in judgement here. I am just a highly interested amateur, so take my blatherings for what they are worth. At the least, whether I'm right or wrong on a given point. I hope to get people thinking, digging, and making informed decisions. If I have blundered, perhaps GBaker can correct my mistakes?

We should all hope that Headrestraint.org flourishes, because without truly independant voices offering unbiased info, the comparative truth might never be known!

EDIT - Thanks Lew. That is a nice fancy new graphic that HANS did for us all. Perhaps it also reinforces my use of "significantly," eh? And yes, it is indeed too bad that Isaac is not allowed out to play in the $FI $andbox!!!!

Last edited by RedlineMan; 12-06-2005 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-06-2005, 04:13 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Some very good observations have been put forth here. I'd offer my 0.02 but I hate typing on a laptop, especially when I'm stuck on a stool in a coffee shop in Vandalia, Ohio.

Anyone know what's in Vandalia, Ohio?

Hehehe...
Old 12-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by gbaker
Anyone know what's in Vandalia, Ohio?

Hehehe...
You are here - X.

Quick Reply: H&N restraints - need opinions