Millville Track Update...Developers at PCA Meeting

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:25 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts
Default Millville Track Update...Developers at PCA Meeting

I had the good fortune, last night, of attending the Schattenbaum Region monthly meeting with 2 of the 3 developers of the new Millville, NJ track as guest speakers.

Having just returned from a great 3 days with NNJR at VIR, and absolutley being blown away by how nice the track and facility were, I was anxiuos to see thier plans and ask questions about the new project.

In a nutshell, I am pumped! The track is to be just a hair under 4 miles in length. There will be elevation changes of up to 100 feet. Ground will be broken (all DEP approvals are in place) in March of 06 with cars on the track the following spring. There will be no noise restrictions. The track is shaped sort of like VIR, in a backwards L that is. There is a large bowl (sort of like the carousel at Shannondoah) at one end that you enter flat with the angle increasing as you reach the middle then flattening out by the exit. The paving through here will be 35 feet wide providing oppurtunity for passing (if allowed of course). The ammenities will be first rate as they hope to not equal but surpass VIR in the overall experience.

Run- off room looks to be abundant (although not as much as VIR which seems to have hundreds of feet in some areas) which will allow me to drive completley over my head, spin off track and not hit anything important.

They indicated that the track will be available for club members approx. 20 days a year with the rest being allocated for spectator events and car club use.

They indicated that they go before the planning board with final plans this week (this should be a formality as the local pols. are firmly behind the plan) and they have a little work to do with the FAA (the track abuts (sp.) the Millville airport) but they indicated that this is 98% done.

Overall a very impressive presentation given by true car enthusiasts.

Jamie
Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! I can't wait!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:09 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update Jamie. Its good to hear some first hand info on progress. I'm sure the local pols are entirely behind the project, given what VIR has done for Danville's economy.

Should be a terrific facility, and its definitely a great location for us NAVA/DC guys as well as the NJ/NY/PA region. At 2.5 hours from my house, its significantly closer that VIR!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Great news, thanks. I grew up in S. Jersey and my folks still live there, so a weekend at the track can be a family trip soon...
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't freakin' wait!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have also had them to a meeting of our Region. I can't wait either! I hope the track also causes some other tracks in the region to think again about the recent and planned price increases for track rental.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the updates, Jamie!

A new, potentially cool track that's less than two hours away...excellent.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks for the updates, Jamie!
A new, potentially cool track that's less than two hours away...excellent.
And only three hours away from us up here in CT!! That will be GREAT, hope all goes on schedule!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
We have also had them to a meeting of our Region. I can't wait either! I hope the track also causes some other tracks in the region to think again about the recent and planned price increases for track rental.
Hey Bull, how about just getting them to think about repaving! Lime Rock & Summit Point are horrible.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bull,
I was thinking the same thing myself. I think it will be inevitable that the other tracks will have to make upgrades, along with some rental pricing evaluations. The proximity of this track to major populations centers along with the fact that you can probably run up to 200 cars there at a DE will serve to force the hand of the other facilities.

On a side note, I'm sorry we didn't get to meet at VIR I stopped by a couple of times but you may have out with a student.

Jamie
Old 11-17-2005, 04:08 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamie, Thanks for the great news. How fantastic will it be to have a VIR caliber track only 1.5 hours away, as IMHO VIR was more than worth the 7 - 8 hours of trailer time.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:07 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,
You're welcome. Thanks for putting me in touch with Andreas....another really cool rennlister.

Hoping to meet up with you in the spring for some driving. I know you're probably doing more racing and less DE's but I've just about convinced Andreas to meet me at the April Schattenbaum Summit (main track) event and would love to get together with you, Skip, Sam and some of the other Md. area gang. Yes, I know its a long way off but I've got seriuos track withdrawl at the moment so I'm placating myself by making plans for next season.

Renvagn,
Well worth the long haul to VIR! It will be a yearly trek for me for sure!

Jamie
Old 11-17-2005, 05:19 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by jford
They indicated that the track will be available for club members approx. 20 days a year with the rest being allocated for spectator events and car club use.

Jamie
I can't wait for this facility to open . . . 20 track days for clubs is not many considering all the organizations that want dates.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:06 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Is the 20 days available for club members of the track????????
Old 11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Is the 20 days available for club members of the track????????

Quick Reply: Millville Track Update...Developers at PCA Meeting