Sponsored by:

Go-Karts in the Southeast

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go-Karts in the Southeast

Does anyone know something about karting in NC, SC or VA. It seems that there are lots of dirt ovals but few sprint or road tracks. Where would one go to race in the international classes for juniors and older farts.

I know there is paved road course racing at Rockingham, VIR and LMS, but is it well supported and attended? The arrive and drive options like Endurance Karting in Concord don't cater to my daughter's age group at 8 yrs. old. I'd also like to go with her as more than a spectator.

I am really not interested in dirt or ovals, since I like to turn both ways! I guess that makes sense since I don't like Nascar either.

Anyone?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:33 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

What about contacting the WKA in Concord. (World Karting Association).

They could probably list out a ton of options.

Brian
Old 11-04-2005, 05:21 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/ 704-455-1606

Dave, one of the premier tracks of the east coast is in the infield of Lowes. It was just repaved this summer and is supposed to be fantastic. I have not been there but I hear they race every weekend. My son is beginning year 2 of his karting career and we plan to race at the '06 national race at Lowes March 10-12.

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/ne...es/480117.html

"Drivers who have competed in karting events at Lowe's Motor Speedway during the formative years of their careers include Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon, Indy 500 Rookie-of-the-Year Danica Patrick, two-time Indy Racing League champion Sam Hornish Jr., Formula One point leader Fernando Alonso as well as Formula One regulars Jenson Button and Kimi Raikkonen"
Old 11-04-2005, 05:34 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar
I know there is paved road course racing at Rockingham, VIR and LMS, but is it well supported and attended?
Sorry once again typing without fully reading. LMS I guess _is_ Lowes, and true to form in the karting world, while their site says there is karting tomorrow, there is zero contact info or details. I have heard from our karting community up here that they run regularly, so one idea is just show up and start asking questions. I'd bet there is a local community of cadet kart dads who'd be more than happy to welcome you to the fold. Every track I've ever visited seems served by a handful of more or less local kart shops one of which would be delighted to rent you a cadet or kid kart to try out.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The track at Lowes looks fantastic. I have a friend who raced against Jarno Trulli on that track.

However, according to one of the Bimmer racers who lives in NC, they do not race there regularly. In fact, someone posted this week on Bimmerforums that there are two races scheduled there next year.

If this information is incorrect, I'd love to know about it.

As for tracks in the SE, there is a track in Barnesville, GA that used to kick off the WKA season every spring. However, I've heard rumor that the track is now dormant. That would be sad since my friends who used to go there seemed to like it.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe a bit more north than you asked for, but the kart track at BeaveRun in PA is a very nice facility, wireless timing and scoring (bring a Gameboy for the plug in module).
Old 11-05-2005, 07:36 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

www.bigsouthseries.com www.southernroadracing.com i used to race in the georgia/alabama region and those were the two major series in the area. they sometimes hit up CMP, but i don't know if they go to lowes or not.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to purchase a kart to get started in sprint racing and road racing. The karting scene in the SE is a bit sparse, but from what I understand, Barnesville is starting to clean up and have a real season. It is about two hours south of me. I went to the event at Road Atlanta this weekend and spoke to a really nice guy (Ray Spiers) about karting and I learned a great deal. Those shifters are unbelievable! 1:38's around Road Atlanta! Unbelievable... I cannot wait to get one.

Quick Reply: Go-Karts in the Southeast