So more commentary on the "mugging" of Porsche by GM

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So more commentary on the "mugging" of Porsche by GM

At the Laguna Seca Speed GT race, some comments from Greg Creamer:

"But what made the race such a travesty was the manner in which one of the championships was claimed. It is really sad when the corporate need to win a championship at any cost to justify a budget line-item comes at the expense of sportsmanship, ethics and fairplay. And those qualities were left littered about the scrap heap by the time the checkers flew at Laguna. To be sure, Andy Pilgrim won his championship the old-fashioned way….he EARNED it every step of the way. One of the classiest acts in the paddock, when the job got tough during the season he just put his head down and did the absolute best he could. He is truly deserving, without doubt.

But otherwise…

Now, admittedly the Porsche gang was behind in the numbers game, particularly after some early damage to a couple of their other big players. But the way Wolf Henzler, Porsche’s lone remaining front-line contender was simply and blatantly MUGGED, and literally beaten into submission, was just horrendous, and shameful. I mean, even in Ferrari’s most infamous moments of “team orders” they didn’t flat take out any other competitors!

And using other members of your extended “corporate family” to help do your dirty work smacks of both bad sportsmanship and showmanship. In fact, it was the second GT race in a row that the fans both at the track and watching the tube were deprived, by corporate “management,” of what could have been some stellar racing. Which, as I recall, is what they PAY to see! Guess in some minds they’re ultimately just not all that important, eh?

All in all, a rather sad ending to what was for the most part a truly excellent adventure of a season!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg,
Thanks for that post. Everyone I know who saw that was was disgusted by the blatent and transparent manipulation they saw. It was obvious to anyone who saw it. The setup, the crime, the motives, and the perpetrators and conspiritors both on track and in the pits, were obvious.

Given the little that I know about the way SCCA runs its events, it seems incredible that they were so totally neutered by corporate toadying that they did not appear to see what everyone else saw. Did the SCCA stewards investigate? Did they even consider penalizing such a blantant and premeditated act? If they didn't, then surely the SCCA has sold out its legacy as the nation's premier amateur racing sanctioning body to become the motorsport equivalent of Pro Wrestling.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony
Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a race sanctioned by SCCA PRO RACING? With "Pro" drivers racing under SCCA Pro Racing rules. Not an SCCA Club Racing event with amateur drivers racing under SCCA Club Racing rules.

Please keep in mind that SCCA Pro Racing and SCCA Club Racing are two entirely separate entities that have different rules, goals, and agendas. Please do not confuse SCCA Pro Racing with SCCA Club Racing, they are two very different animals.

I will not argue that what occured was very unsportsman like. But the Pro Racing world is a very different place than the Club Racing world where you are racing with your friends.

cheers
Dave Parker
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 10-27-2005, 02:59 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of discussion over at the Speed World Challenge discussion board. SCCA's stance seems to be that there was no clear evidence showing that contact caused Wolf's flat, so no penalties issued.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
See? I said I know very little about the structure of SCCA, and then went about proving it.
Thanks for the clarification that there are, in fact, two SCCAs. I did not know that.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:15 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

http://bbs.sccaproracing.com/cgi-bin...?ubb=forum;f=2

There is some very good commentary from WC drivers, an SCCA Pro official, etc.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony
To quote you "No Worries".
You learn something new everyday.
Believe it or not there are actually three SCCA entities. SCCA Club Racing, SCCA Pro Racing and SCCA Enterprises. The first two are self explanatory, the third is the SCCA that brings you your Spec Racer Ford and your Formula SCCA cars.

All three of these beasties are part of the umbrella corporation known as the Sports Car Club of America. Or as I like to call it "Spoiled Children Crashing Automobiles".

cheers
Dave Parker
SCCA Member for eight scary years.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Tony, Dave, all: Pro racing has it's own regulations, nowhere does it say it's OK to drive into each other.
I suppose one of the Porsche teams could have protested.

1.5.7 Personal Conduct
1.5.7.1: Every person associated with an SCCA Pro-sanctioned event shall conduct himself according to the highest standards of behavior and sportsmanship, particularly in his relationship with other competitors and Officials, and in a manner that shall not be prejudicial to the reputation of SCCA Pro, or to the automobile sport. Failure to do so may result in penalties as specified in PRR section 1.11.2

1.7.16 Driving Conduct
1.7.16.3: It is the responsibility of all drivers to avoid physical contact between cars.
1.7.16.5: It shall be incumbent on all drivers to preserve the right of their fellow competitors to "racing room" on the track. Abrupt changes in direction to impede, or affect, the path of a car attempting to pass may be interpreted by SCCA Pro Officials as an attempt to deprive a fellow competitor of his right to "racing room."
1.7.16.6: Safe Pass
The responsibility for the decision to pass another car rests with the overtaking driver. However, this will not relieve the overtaken driver from the responsibility for the safe passing of the other car. The overtaken driver shall not block. Any driver who fails to make use of his rear view mirror, or who appears to be blocking another car seeking to pass, may be black flagged.

BTW I hate guys who quote rules and regulations.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:15 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, sorry pro or amateur league I still think Tony is spot on. Regardless of which SCCA sanctioning body the actions on track were in poor form and not in line with the spirit of auto racing pro or not. It also looks like the Pro body, on paper at least, looks down on the actions as well. If they have the guts and fortitude to look the money in the eye and do something about it is another thing altogether.

I could be wrong but I would think the key goal of pro racing is to attract and entertain people positively so that they might watch again and also purchase the products that are waved in front of them during the races. Some folks might not be able to see the difference between roller derby and real racing but some folks can. SCCA runs the risk of debasing the very name of the club by allowing this kind of stuff to happen.

If a PRO race is run and no one watches or cares does it count or does the series continue? OK i 'm done now...

Last edited by kurt M; 10-27-2005 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: So more commentary on the "mugging" of Porsche by GM