Sponsored by:

KING DRAGON RACING SEATS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KING DRAGON RACING SEATS

Anyone have anything to say about these? I know they were discontinued and made in Italy.
I am about to purchase a Carbon Fiber one in mint condition off of Rennlist. I am just waiting fort a shipping cost from the seller.
The Date of Manufactur was 1996, stupid question, but do they go bad, or is there an exp date on seats for PCA Club Racing?

Any help is appreciated
Old 10-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe FIA 8855 is the current standard for seats. If this seat has it, then it meets the minimum sefety requirement for most sanctioning bodies. Seats do not have an exparation date, at least not yet. On a diffent note, I have two race seats is my garage bought mail order that do not fit my body well. I will not buy another seat again unless I had the chance to try it on for size first.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Antonio - are the seats too big or too small? Interested in selling them? Will they fit someone who is not of narrow girth?

-Z-man.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 AM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Antonio and Rich,
FIA homologated seats do have an expiration date. That is why they have a date of manufacture label on the left side of the seat.
For SCCA and PCA club racing this date indicates the five year span that the seat can be used WITHOUT a seat back brace if it is rigidly mounted (meaning that it does not slide back and forth). After the five year span you will need to either replace the seat with one that is in date or add a seat back brace.

Several of the King Dragon FIA homologated seats lost their homologation about two years ago because they failed random quality control tests. I would check the FIA website to see if a particular King Dragon seat you are considering still has FIA homologation.
A FIA homologated seat that was made in 1996 would be required to use a seat back brace because it is way outside the five year window.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

cheers
Dave Parker
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Rich,

Please, don't dick around with safety items. Considering the serious $$ you've invested in your car, it seems silly to me that you would consider buying a 10-year old seat (that wasn't even the best available seat on the market 10 years ago).

IMHO, you should buy a new (or, recently used) Recaro race seat.

Hey, what can I say, Jack really likes you!

Richard
Old 10-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Z-man, sorry for the slow reply. I was off line for a few days. My seat next season will be a Mono 1000 Lakes which is a rather narrow seat. It requires minor alterations to the floor pan in order to fit low enough. This last season I used a Momo Start , which would probably fit someone "who is not of narrow girth" but I personally do not recommend it as a driver's seat because it not very supportive.

Dave Parker of OG racing,
I'm looking at the 2005 SCCA GCR, pages 118-1999. It makes reference of FIA Standard 8855-1999, however I could not find any reference to the 5 year rule. Where did you see it?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rich

I hear ya on that one. The seat is in super MINT condition. Guy said it sat in there storage unit and they forgot it was there for years. I was gonna use it as a passenger seat, but decided to get a Recaro Hans for myself.
Tell Jack I said whats up. He must be huge. I am getting a new trailer with sleeping quarters and plan on camping and bringing my pooch/s next sason.
Was down at Ricks last week gonna get my car to him soon.

Quick Reply: KING DRAGON RACING SEATS