Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
refer to my photo:

Who's holding up who?
The way I see it two German drivers and one british driver is trying not to be passed by a fast Swede.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
The way I see it two German drivers and one british driver is trying not to be passed by a fast Swede.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:27 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I have hundreds of track days at numerous tracks, am a multi region and nationally certified driving instructor, PCA Club Racer, and can assure you that I was never surprised by any car or bus ahead or behind me, despite being faced with a large and complicated new track. I am a good ocular driver and know how to use my mirrors (racing teaches you how to do that REAL FAST). I understand that there are some that do not have the driving maturity to time themselves and stay within their limits. I also know that driving skill varies greatly on these Internet sites. I should not be one of these that falls into your "worry" category.
I think you are reading comments from several people that are meant to be general and taking them personally. While it is great to hear you are such a good driver, it really isn't the point. As a previous poster said, we aren't going to solve the lap timing issue here. You can obviously do whatever you like - no-one is trying to restrict your rights...

BTW, I actually thought your write up was great. The track is amazing and a very special experience. Learning the track is an incredibly complex and time consuming process - but that is what makes it fun.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 AM
GREEN HELL
Track Day

The RING is the best track in the world IMHO... but yes on the touristenfahrt days it is a very dangerous place to try to post fast laps... NOT because of the speeds and all.. but the lack of understanding of the new drivers there for the 1st time. It's very hard to get a good lap time anyhow due to traffic and all on the open lap days. I'll still go every chance I am in Germany. here is a picture of me in the karussell.
Attached Images  

Last edited by GREEN HELL; 12-13-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by GREEN HELL
here is a picture of me in the karussell.
Looking good!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:23 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Looking good!
Where the hell is that Golf in the background going?

No argument from me: the 'Ring (Nordschleife) is the best track in the world!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:33 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

im gona get a 330ci in GT4 tonite and see what i can do!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:35 PM
GREEN HELL
Track Day

[QUOTE=DrJupeman]Where the hell is that Golf in the background going?

That is a black e-30 M3.. he was staying wide and them diving in on the karussell.. some what diff line that what I was taking.. he was a good driver though
Old 12-13-2005, 03:44 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=GREEN HELL]

That is a black e-30 M3.. he was staying wide and them diving in on the karussell.. some what diff line that what I was taking.. he was a good driver though
Golf/M3, all the same...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:48 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

[QUOTE=GREEN HELL]

That line dropping into the Karusell is pretty common rather than entering at the start of the banking. Always seems a lot slower than you think it should be. Rough on the cars though.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:17 PM
GREEN HELL
Track Day

[QUOTE=jasoncuk]

That line dropping into the Karusell is pretty common rather than entering at the start of the banking. Always seems a lot slower than you think it should be. Rough on the cars though.
I agree it makes the turn a bit easier if you stay out a bit before dropping in.. but he was staying out a bit longer than most.. diff car diff line i guess.. or he simply liked that line better.. none the less yeah that is a bit rough through there.. and yeah you are going faster than you think I have found out...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=GREEN HELL]
Originally Posted by jasoncuk

I agree it makes the turn a bit easier if you stay out a bit before dropping in.. but he was staying out a bit longer than most.. diff car diff line i guess.. or he simply liked that line better.. none the less yeah that is a bit rough through there.. and yeah you are going faster than you think I have found out...
The fastest line into the Karussel is when leaving Aremberg focus on the mighty lark (tree just behind the corner) just above entrance to the corner (no kidding). Outside wheels cross the right corner of the concrete dropping full tilt. Your speed should increase, but not as much as you think, this is a constant radius turn. Exit is violent, catch both apexes on the right crossing the exit concrete corner with your right wheel again. This was how Robert Fassel showed our group (Robert is the chief test driver for BMW and a racer). Try it , you won't believe how fast the turn becomes.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Great Write Up!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

[QUOTE=bobt993]

The fastest line into the Karussel is when leaving Aremberg focus on the mighty lark (tree just behind the corner) just above entrance to the corner (no kidding). Outside wheels cross the right corner of the concrete dropping full tilt. Your speed should increase, but not as much as you think, this is a constant radius turn. Exit is violent, catch both apexes on the right crossing the exit concrete corner with your right wheel again. This was how Robert Fassel showed our group (Robert is the chief test driver for BMW and a racer). Try it , you won't believe how fast the turn becomes.
If you're focussing on that tree when you're exiting Aremberg you're going to have a major disagreement with some of the armco in the 25 corners and 15km until you get to the Karussel.

You meant the Steilstreckekurve. However your description of the ride through the Karussel is spot-on. Interesting bit of useless information is that this was originally a 'regular' corner until the famous Rudolf Caracciola started hooking his tires into the irrigation ditch on the side of the track.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:46 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

[QUOTE=bobt993]

Swedeboy, you pedant! Poor guy is allowed be confused at least until he gets a few hundred more laps in.

Green Hell, I think that you may find that the Karussel actually tightens some for the last bit. Sure seems that way to me anyway!

You are right about the exit. Often, if I see a photographer there, I'll make sure I exaggerate the exit bit to get a bit of air for him.

Works at Klein Karussel as well...

Quick Reply: My Nurburgring Nordschleife experience