Sponsored by:

writeup of CMP

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:57 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default writeup of CMP

Does anyone have video or a write up of CMP?

Thanks

andy
Old 10-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Try this: http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/SC/CMP.html#HotLap

I couldn't find decent video anywhere, but would appreciate it, too, if someone could show a link.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:17 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CMP was my first race ever, so I went to the "chalk talk" Thursday night before the race. I thought it was very good and I would recommend it to anyone who has not raced / driven there before. The track is relatively technical with 14 corners, but it's also a whole lot of fun once you get the hang of things in a couple of sessions.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

I'd defer to Chris on his comments as they are probably more suited to most cars on Rennlist I'd add that what was once a very easy-going track surface has sort of given up a bit over the last few years and is moderately abbrasive (tire-wise). From its dawn, its always been a very brake intensive track and that still remains (basic issue is the auto-x section - t11-14 - where each turn requires braking coming off of very short straights). One of its less endearing qualities is the monsterous gator teeth off several of the turns that make use of them highly unattractive.

I have found that entering T12 from full track left can unsettle many cars - you may want to try that entry from track center and move it out track left and find what suits you best.

I'd also echo the "watch it" on exiting T3 on the track out curbing.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

T3 can bite you if you are wide on the exit and freak out, but most of the track is wide open with plenty of room for mistakes. Some of the exit curbing is pretty harsh, so I just stay off it, especially coming out of 14.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:19 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a video of CMP - at a fairly sedate pace.

CMP 944CupRaceApril05
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 AM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone so far

andy & Laurie
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 AM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

tony:

the movie won't open. do you have it in another format?

thanks

andy
Old 10-24-2005, 01:53 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally Posted by andy sanborn
tony:

the movie won't open. do you have it in another format?

thanks

andy
Andy, if Tony doesn't have one that will open for you, I have one in the rain at www.ipsolve.com/racestuff (CMP Wet Laps Edit: sorry, its actually "Kershaw August ECR Fun in the wet"). Image quality ain't great and the driving ain't too much better but it should give you a good idea of a) where the track goes and b) where the puddles form (always seem to track left entering T13 and left off T1 exit). Not sure if it will help.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Here is what's posted on the CMP web site. I've got a lttle over 30 days at CMP, and find the author's line to be spot-on. There are only a few difference I'd suggest since we aren't running down-force Formula cars...
  • Stay off all the outside Gators. Otherwise, using the inside rumbles on turn 3 and turn 12 can be a good thing.
  • You have a hell of a car if you don't need to touch the brakes, or at least breath off the gas for the Kink (turn 9).
  • I never run turn 3 10/10ths. I've seen some cars get demolished coming off at turn 3. There is nowhere to go if you screw up. You will hit Armco or tire walls.

------------------------------
Larry Connors-91 Benetton B191 F1 3500
ONE LAP AROUND
CAROLINA MOTORSPORTS PARK

-BY LARRY CONNOR

Carolina Motorsports Park, is a great track, and well run facility. It combines a wide range of turns. High speed, varying radius and a good technical section. We spent three days at the facility in late July testing for Goodyear and developing some new components for our RT-41 Raly Atlantic car. Here is one lap around!

Turn 1.
Approach in top gear, brake at the 2 marker, turn in just before the access road and carry the brakes to the apex, 2nd gear in our car.

Turn 2.
Hard acceleration out of 1, touch the curb at 2, and get set-up for Turn 3.

Turn 3.
Earlier turn-in than you would think. The key here is exit speed. Give up a little bit going in to maximize exit speed, 4th gear.

Turn 4.
Much faster than you think! Downshift from 5th to 4th, turn in approximately 10’ past the 1 marker and hit the left-handed side curbing carrying lots of speed.

Turn 5.
Use inside curbing, in 2nd gear, let the car carry out to the rumble strips, and initiate turn-in for 6 at the end of the outside rumble strips. I am fully accelerating as I exit 5 through 6 and 7, because we are entering the second longest straightaway down to 8.

Turn 6.
I think you just have to find the right line that your car works best at with the whole focus of carrying speed.

Turn 7.
I generally had to use 4-6” of the exit rumble strip to carry maximum speed.

Turn 8.
Most important turn on the course. It links the two longest straight-aways. Brake at the 1½ marker, do not over-brake the car, turn in approximately 10-12’ past the 1 marker, get 75% of the turn done in the first 25%, and should be a full acceleration by apex. This turn is banked and you can carry more speed than you might imagine. I am in 4th gear, again using the outside rumble strip to carry maximum exit speed. Essential to carry speed to the corner, short transition, and maximum exit speed. Remember do not over-drive into the corner and kill exit momentum!

Turn 9 & 10.
Are really non-events.

Turn 11.
Brake past the 2 marker, key is late turn-in, apex at the second inside curb, there is quite a bit f grip here, be smooth but progressive throttle. I exit in 2nd gear, upshift to 3rd and back down to 2nd as I approach Turn 12.

Turn 12.
A bit tricky. Another late turn-in, I try to touch the inside curb without upsetting the car because it is a tightening radius. Get the car rotated before the apex. I use the exit rumble strips but not so much to upset the car. 2nd gear, hard acceleration to 13.

Turn 13.
Quicker than it looks, opening radius at the exit. I brake hard, rotate the car, and fully accelerate before reaching the apex. Use the rumble strips if necessary at the exit.

Turn 14.Critical corner! Leads to front straightaway. Very late turn-in. I brake past the 2 marker focusing on slowing the car to its lowest point just before initial turn-in so I am carrying maximum exit speed. I found myself sometimes turning in a few feet too early. This is a very late turn-in!

Keys to quick lap at Carolina Motorsports Park are the following: Turns 3, 4 and 8. Second, not making errors through the technical section of Turn 11-14.

Both Thomas Kapp and I, who oversaw the testing, thought it was an excellent test track because it combines a variety of corners, good consistent grip, and a very accommodating staff!

Times: By the third day we were down to 126.2. I think 125’s in our Atlantic car are possible depending upon grip level.

Enjoy yourself – go fast! It is a great place to drive!
------------------------------------
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 AM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys and girls:

Please stop by the mobile chalet and say Hi next weeekend! It will either say "Treadway" or if I get the stickers off of it...."Hooville"

andy
Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

There is a good video at www.bigpinekey.org

He has a vid of him spinning in the kink which is pretty neat.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I have video but no host. I seemed to peak on my laptimes after about four runs but I know there is more on the table. I can't wait. I'll be there with my mobile chalet too (it's a Maverick with green stripes). Look us up!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,
The movie is a standard wmv format - will open with any reasonably recent Windows Media Player [v10.x is current, but a late v9.x shoudl be fine too].
Old 10-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thank you, gentlemen, for the video.

Quick Reply: writeup of CMP