Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's be careful out there -- this is dangerous stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005 | 01:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Best to stay put, belts tight, just incase someone goes off and TBones you! since no fire,
-wait for flaggers to slow traffic.

Wonder what he was sayiing on the radio?
He's telling his crew he lost the left rear and he's getting out of the car and ok..****...**** thrown in as well.
He's a very experienced race driver( Bessang) in a GT3R car I believe.
Old 10-21-2005 | 02:30 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

This video just proves that time is not constant. Did you notice how time speeds up when things go wrong? Learn from it when you have your next shunt.
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:19 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
That is Hans Stuck driving, going for a fast lap time and losing a rear wheel -- according to this recent thread.
Hansi is NOT driving that 996 GT3 RSR, the driver is Marc Basseng, it was during the VLN race earlier this month. Marc Lieb was the co driver.

They were third fastest in practice, behind Alzen, who had a terrible crash and Olaf Manthey who eventually won, and announced his retirement from racing.

I cannot imagine how a video titled with the name of the driver, can be attributed to another driver. Its a bit like saying how good Meg Ryan was in Pretty Woman. Whoever told you that was giving you a bum steer.

R+C
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:22 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flat Top
This video just proves that time is not constant. Did you notice how time speeds up when things go wrong? Learn from it when you have your next shunt.
My experience is quite the contrary, everything seems to slow down when things go pear-shaped. This is a good thing, it gives you time to do something about it.

R+C
Old 10-21-2005 | 07:35 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Nordschleife

So you concur that time is flexible?

Regards
Old 10-21-2005 | 08:01 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flat Top
Nordschleife

So you concur that time is flexible?

Regards
Yes, time is relative, and rarely convenient. Either too much or not enough.

To misquote 'mastery makes Time Lords of us all'

R+C
Old 10-21-2005 | 08:18 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
That is Hans Stuck driving, going for a fast lap time and losing a rear wheel -- according to this recent thread.
Has Stuck ever been competing in Porsches, thought I was sticking to BMW? (Sincere question, not ironic!)
Old 10-21-2005 | 10:06 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rassel
Has Stuck ever been competing in Porsches, thought I was sticking to BMW? (Sincere question, not ironic!)
lots of Porsche drives

quote -

This year Hans moves to Porsche as a factory driver. He becomes Drivers' Champion in the World Endurance Championship with Derek Bell in a Porsche 962, winning at Hockenheim, Mosport Canada and Brands Hatch. He takes second place in the German Sports Car Championship driving with Brun Motorsport in a Porsche 962. With wins at the Nürburgring, Wunstorf, Zeltweg and Erding he earns the title 'German Driver of the Year'.

He narrowly misses first position by one point, taking second place behind co-driver Derek Bell in the World Endurance Championship. He wins both the 24 Heures du Le Mans in France with Derek Bell and Al Holbert, and the 12 Hour race at Sebring with Jo Gartner and Bob Akin in a Porsche 962. He also takes second in the 24 Hours of Daytona with Jo Gartner and Bob Akin in a Porsche 962.

"My first Le Mans win was very spectacular, but it had a very bad black mark on the win because it was the race in which Jo Gartner died, my Austrian friend I won Sebring with. So my first win at Le Mans was definitely under a black shadow."

Driving a Porsche 962, Hans wins the 24 Heures du Le Mans race in France with Derek Bell, and becomes Drivers' Champion in the German ADAC Super Cup in addition to taking second place in the 24 Hours of Daytona with Bob Akin.

Hans wins the 12 Hours at Sebring and takes second place in the 24 Heures du Le Mans in France with Klaus Ludwig in a Porsche 962. He finishes third in the U.S. Trans-Am Championship driving an Audi Quattro, earning the 'Rookie of the Year' title with seven wins

In the U.S. IMSA GTO Championship he takes fourth place driving an Audi 90 Quattro and clinches five wins with Walter Röhrl and Hurley Haywood. In the 24 Heures du Le Mans in France he takes third place driving a Porsche 962 with Derek Bell

Hans becomes Drivers' Champion in the German Touring Car Championship in an Audi V8 Quattro, winning at Avus, Wunstorf, Norisring and Hockenheim. He also competes in the Sports Car World Championship with Team Joest in a Porsche 962C. He takes fourth in the 24 Heures du Le Mans, France.

In the German Touring Car Championship, Hans takes third in an Audi V8 Quattro with wins at Norisring, Diepholz and Singen. He also scores three wins in the U.S. IMSA Supercar Championship in a Brumos Porsche 930 turbo.

In this year the Audi factory team withdrew from the German Touring Car Championship mid-season. Hans took second at Nürburgring Germany, and had two wins at the U.S. IMSA Supercar Championship in a Porsche 930 turbo.

Hans wins the title in the U.S. IMSA Supercar Championship in a Porsche 930. He has an incredible tally with nine wins and 11 pole positions. In addition, he wins the 12 Hours at Sebring with Walter Röhrl in a Porsche 930 turbo

In the 24 Heures du Le Mans, France, with Thierry Boutsen and Danny Sullivan, Hans takes third, driving a Porsche 962. He wins the 6 Hours of Watkins Glen IMSA Championship with Walter Röhrl in a Porsche 930 turbo. He also wins the Touring Car World Final at Donington, driving for Germany in an Audi Quattro.

He takes fourth in the German ADAC Super Touring Car Cup driving an Audi Quattro. In a Porsche 930 he finishes second in the 12 Hours at Sebring and another second in the 6 Hours of Watkins Glen U.S. IMSA Championship in a Porsche 930 turbo – both with Bill Adam. Again with Bill Adam, he takes another second in the 3 Hours of Sears Point U.S. IMSA Championship in a Porsche 930 turbo. With Thierry Boutsen in a Kremer Spyder Porsche 962, he takes third in the 24 Heures du Le Mans, France.

He takes a sixth place finish in the International Touring Car Championship with Team Rosberg in an Opel Calibra, but wins at Helsinki. He becomes GT winner of the 12 Hours at Sebring with Bill Adam in a Champion Porsche 930 turbo and GT winner in the 24 Heures du Le Mans with Bob Wollek and Thierry Boutsen in a Porsche GT1. He scores German BPR Series wins at Brands Hatch and Spa- Francorchamps with Thierry Boutsen in a Porsche GT1.

He drives for Porsche works in the International GT Series with Thierry Boutsen in a Porsche GT1. Hans also becomes a Formula One columnist for BILD, the biggest German newspaper, and a special commentator for German RTL television during the ADAC Super Touring Championship.
Old 10-21-2005 | 10:21 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Definately a horrific crash, the clip was edited for sure. Would it be safe to assume the Ferrari didnt have a fuel cell, and tank was up front (know less about them than Porsches)? Wonder how a cell would have held up from a direct impact like that.
Old 10-21-2005 | 10:27 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
lots of Porsche drives
Haha, seems like you have his CV somewhere
Now that's plenty of experience in the drivers seat of a Porsche.
Old 10-21-2005 | 12:17 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

In the VLN crash you can actually see the loose wheel for a split second as he is flying thru the air backwards before impact. Not a fun ride.

Eric
Old 10-21-2005 | 04:03 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Hansi is NOT driving that 996 GT3 RSR, the driver is Marc Basseng, it was during the VLN race earlier this month. Marc Lieb was the co driver.
My mistake. I read it in the previous thread. I'll edit my previous post with a correction.

Quick Reply: Let's be careful out there -- this is dangerous stuff.