Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Weaving Warm Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005 | 05:55 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I know of a racer who also managed to "warm" his way right into the outside wall on the back straight at Mid-Ohio, on the pace lap no less. Made a mess of his car, too.
Alan
Old 10-17-2005 | 09:36 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Maybe it's related to just the Hoosier/Fikse combo?
The current local cure for spinning H/F combo's is hair spray. As in, clean the tire and wheel mating surfaces with acetone, let dry, then apply 3 coats of Aqua Net hair spray, then mount while still a little tacky. Sounds crazy, but some guys swear by it. I won't reveal the names of those who store cans and cans of hair spray with their brake cleaners and windex!
Old 10-18-2005 | 08:58 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Don't laugh too hard, it works! Use the hair spray rather than the tire soap to mount the tires and wait as long as you can (a day or two if you can) before using the mounted tires. Hair spray gives better grip than dry mount and is easer on the tires during mounting as the spray is a bit slippery when wet. As Mike said, clean the tire and rim bead areas well first.

Is is not just the H/F combo that spins. More tire grip higher HP or car weight will make lots of tire/ car combos spin on accel or under hard braking.
Old 10-18-2005 | 09:00 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
The current local cure for spinning H/F combo's is hair spray. As in, clean the tire and wheel mating surfaces with acetone, let dry, then apply 3 coats of Aqua Net hair spray, then mount while still a little tacky. Sounds crazy, but some guys swear by it. I won't reveal the names of those who store cans and cans of hair spray with their brake cleaners and windex!
Your reference to cans and cans of brake Kleen gave it away
Old 10-18-2005 | 11:48 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Sounds crazy, but some guys swear by it. I won't reveal the names of those who store cans and cans of hair spray with their brake cleaners and windex!
Come out of the closet. Anyone who has a potato cannon has a couple of cans of Aqua Net laying around...it's the preferred propellant for serious potato launchers.

Re: tire warming - the 'weaving/no...sliding/yes' is not exactly a revelation. For the 20+ years that I've been playing with this crap, the Goodyear Racing engineers have shared all this same data with anyone who asked - weaving just scrubs off the dirt and rocks and old tire worms/spooge, while actually flexing the carcass by braking & accelerating and sliding the tread (which you can do with aggressive weaving) warms up the tire. Welcome to the last century, please wake me up for meals.
Old 10-18-2005 | 09:20 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

(YAAAWWNNN) I'm hungry... Is it time to eat?
Old 10-19-2005 | 08:02 PM
Cory M
Drifting

"I was trying to warm up my tyres on the installation lap and the best way of doing this, especially when driving slowly to save fuel, is to zig-zag across the track."

This is a quote from Michael Schumacher discussing his crash in China. He has so many engineers analyzing his data that I really doubt he would be wasting his time zig-zagging if it wasn't effective. I generally rely on hard braking during the warm-up lap to heat the tires, and zig-zags to clean the tires, but I'm not worried about maximizing my fuel load during a 30 minute track session.
Old 10-19-2005 | 08:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Knitting doesn't help much either.

Quick Reply: Does Weaving Warm Tires?