Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skip Barber

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Barber three-day racing school is a sound investment and will accelerate a driver's learning curve significantly. I make a point of working with the professionals at the Skip Barber Racing School each year at Lime Rock Park and at Watkins Glen International. I still prefer Barber Racing School activities to driver education events--particularly since every driver uses the same type of car. My performance--or lack of performance--is a direct consequence of my skills in the car and is not contingent upon my car's capabilities. The Dodge R/T 2000 is an excellent race car in which a driver can hone his or her driving and racing skills.

My 911 is always much faster after I complete a Barber Racing School program.

PCA National Instructor
BMWCCA Certified Instructor
Skip Barber Racing School Multi-year Participant
Old 10-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone compare Skip vs. Bridgestone?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

test
Attached Files
File Type: txt
rennlinst.txt (15 Bytes, 85 views)
Old 10-14-2005, 03:45 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add Bertil Roos to the list. I did the three day school and had a BLAST. Also, no deductible for completely wrecking or hurting a car. In fact, they encourage you to push to the very limits and spin if need be. I haven't done the Skippy school, but I would say Bertil Roos is a better option.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no crash liability for the Barber three-day racing school. Crash liability applies to Barber Racing School advanced activities (e.g., lapping, the advanced two-day racing school, practice, race weekends).
Old 10-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Geo
Race Director

I went to the predesessor to the Bridgestone School (Spenard-David Racing School) in 1989. So much has changed through all I can really comment on is the cars. The cars are Reynard SF-86s - Formula Ford 2000s or Formula Continental in SCCA paralance. That gets you 2 liter engines and wings. But that also means 20 year old cars at this point. They were decent to drive. But they are real race cars as opposed to school cars. Cars specially built for schools are usually built a little more stout since they have no rules to meet including minimum weight. They tend to be built to withstand more abuse.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:13 PM
prg
Pro

Tthe only disadvantage of an open wheel school is that it make you realize just how heavy and slow to respond your street car is. Most of the 3 day schools are on street type tires. If you do a day on slicks, you'll never want to go back. The Derek Daly 5 day school is the reason I own a formula car now. I realize it's the minority opinion on this site, but real race cars don't have fenders.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by prg
Tthe only disadvantage of an open wheel school is that it make you realize just how heavy and slow to respond your street car is.
I went to racing school when I was racing karts. The F2000 felt like a pig in comparison.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 PM
agio
Racer

Here's a thought: First, do a fair amount of DE's at various tracks with various instructors...maybe 10 to 15 track events (=10 to 30 track days). if you like the experience, go do a Skip Barber (or other) class. I've been instructing for some time and when I instruct a novice who just completed a "racing" school, a paradox of sorts may become apparent. The "DE" side has certain objectives, which are different from that of "racing." The DE instruction protacol, setting, and results are different from the racing venue--of course, there are overlapping concepts, but the end game is different.
In any case, I would advocate taking a car control course or clinic...this would be valuable no matter what your personal objectives are...including simply driving on the street.
Good luck and have fun...but be safe!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by agio
Here's a thought: First, do a fair amount of DE's at various tracks with various instructors...maybe 10 to 15 track events
What's that, 3-4 months of DE's for you down there?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:18 PM
agio
Racer

Gary, to give you an idea , we've had more than 22 DE/Racing track days from July through October. Of course, you do the one's you want. We have PCA, PBOC, NASA, & CHIN all offering track days at various tracks here in Florida and even at Roebling Road in Savanah, GA.
So, yep it's a few months at most!
Gary, come on down already! hehehe
Old 10-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to avoid racing school and go for the two-day driving school at Barber. It teaches the fundamentals to set the stage for DE and racing (if desired). They teach threshold breaking, heel-toe and do some skid pad work but focus a lot on fundamentals for street and/or track driving. I'll report back mid-November to let you all know how it went.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:13 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to avoid racing school and go for the two-day driving school at Barber. It teaches the fundamentals to set the stage for DE and racing (if desired). They teach threshold breaking, heel-toe and do some skid pad work but focus a lot on fundamentals for street and/or track driving. I'll report back mid-November to let you all know how it went.
Based on the cross section of people on my 3-day Skippy course, you might as well just go straight to that. 10% hadn't driven a manual is a long while. Most never really planned to race. you might as well get pushed out of your comfort zone so driving a Porsche or whatever at track days seems a lot easier. All of the track day type skills are taught. I was just about the only person on my course that knew how to double declutch or heel toe. You pick it up pretty fast when threshold braking at 100 miles per hour.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasoncuk
Based on the cross section of people on my 3-day Skippy course, you might as well just go straight to that. 10% hadn't driven a manual is a long while. Most never really planned to race. you might as well get pushed out of your comfort zone so driving a Porsche or whatever at track days seems a lot easier. All of the track day type skills are taught. I was just about the only person on my course that knew how to double declutch or heel toe. You pick it up pretty fast when threshold braking at 100 miles per hour.

That's interesting to hear. The guy I spoke with at Barber was really selling me hard on this program rather than a race program having had no prior track experience. If it doesn't work out, I'll employ a little consumer rage and get a discount on the 3-day race school.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:13 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by agio
Gary, to give you an idea , we've had more than 22 DE/Racing track days from July through October. Of course, you do the one's you want. We have PCA, PBOC, NASA, & CHIN all offering track days at various tracks here in Florida and even at Roebling Road in Savanah, GA.
So, yep it's a few months at most!
Gary, come on down already! hehehe
You are KILLIN me!

Quick Reply: Skip Barber