Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 'Golden Second' - what is fast, what is slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Fair to say the the World Class guys have incredible native talent on top of it all... but they are tiny minoity... may 20 in the whole world?
I'm not so sure. Fast is always relative. How many in like prepared cars can keep up with M. Schumacher? But I'd guess there are one to two hundred world class drivers out there. Most of them we never or seldom see and when we do see them they are in junk because the costs to get a world class seat in a world class series simply prevent it. I'll bet there are a couple dozen drivers better than 1/3 of the current GP grid but they either ran out of money before getting a chance or they got into junk because that was all they could afford and they were written off.

Of course, I'm just guessing here, but I often wonder about the drivers who never make it to the top or are never able to show what they can really do because they didn't get into the right team/car. Many of the paid sports car drivers are world class drivers who ran out of money to stay at the top of the best classes in the world. So, they went down a notch (series-wise) and took a paycheck rather than have to keep paying to drive.

I think the answer is one we will never know, but it's a great question to ponder and comes back to what is fast and what is slow?

Quick Reply: The 'Golden Second' - what is fast, what is slow?