Double Duty at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Duty at VIR

As was said in an earlier post, VIR this year was an extreme example of changing conditions. I have been looking forward to this weekend for about four months. The plan was for me to run my PCA GTC3 car in the Club race segments and to be co-driver in the number 27 Rolex GT car.

Thursday, I was able to get in about 25 minutes in the Rolex car practice. Then got in a dry PCA practice before the rains came.

Friday, wet and rain. The PCA group was given two qualifying heats. The first was wet and run on rain tires. The second one was dry and if you didn't do the second qualifier, you were really gridded back in the pack. After that, most of the Rolex practices were in wet conditions.

Saturday gave us a dry track for the sprint race and that was the only dry track for the day. With about 50 cars on the track, it was a rather clean race and we really put on a good show. Some of the drivers were really fast especially Mark Hupfer, Lawson Wilder and Rene Robichaud. The rest of the day though had rain on and off again. The Grand Am Cup race was a nice one in misty conditions. Numerous off's and when you went off, the wet grass and clay became extremely fast. You could speed up if you used them right but not many drivers tried that tactic on purpose. Of all things, the winner was one of the new Ford Mustangs.

Sunday's PCA Enduro was on a track that was half wet, half dry. It was scheduled for 60 minutes and as we left grid, that had not changed. Most drivers went out with rain tires on with the intent to change at the "mandatory" five minute pit stop. I made a decision, not using my brains and came in during a full course caution. So that time in the pits wasn't allowed. However, the race ended on the full course caution after only about 40 minutes so nearly all the enduro cars except an estimate of eight cars technically were DQ'd. That would put as overall winner a couple of F - I cars...great for them. I think all of the GTC3 cars would be DQ'd. However, the PCA officials hadn't really decided what to do under the circumstances. However, since I made it through all the races with no damage and driving relatively well, I was happy and now working on getting ready for the Rolex race.

There was no qualifying for this race because of weather so we were gridded by points. Our car, with little points, would have been last except some very fast BMW drivers failed to meet the qualfying driver posting time limit so they were gridded behind us. My co-driver was Patrick Small from Birmingham. He own's the car and was driving for the start. It was a clean start for both groups as many of you saw on Speed Vision. After eleven laps, Patrick called in saying the clutch was slipping so we brought it in and retired. How selfish of me to be upset with not driving in the Rolex considering how much I got to drive for the weekend. Still...bummer.

It was a great weekend for anyone wanting a fix on sports car racing. Very reminisent of the old days. PCA cars, Formula Ford open wheel cars, Grand Am Cup and Grand Am Rolex...what a feast for junkies! That's why I love the VIR race. Next year however, the Rolex Race is scheduled for April and the Cup race will stay in October so I'm not sure if I'll be there again. Depends on what they do with the Club Race.

On the positive side, I had more rain driving in four days than I've had in the last four years...combined!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:11 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mac;

When I met you, it was just before a bad outing at Sebring this year. Happy and glad you had nothing but "good" out of this one!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hi Mac;

When I met you, it was just before a bad outing at Sebring this year. Happy and glad you had nothing but "good" out of this one!
Good to hear from you Redline...yes, it is always good to come home with a dirty car with no body damage. I must say though that splitters and me had some issues. Once in wet straight through turn one, the other at the top of the climbing esses. One splitter was trashed, the other was reusable. Glad they don't 13 / 13 you for just going off track. I think everyone at one time or another went off at least once.

I love VIR!!! Great track that is relatively forgiving.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

M:
Always nice to get the inside scoop! It is hard to always know what happens when you're watching the race on-site.

For more interesting reading on VIR, you can go to theracesite.com, my favorite "newspaper" of racing on the Web.

With regards to PCA, the Summit coverage is up there (Across North America section) and the VIR PCA coverage will be up there shortly.

PM

Quick Reply: Double Duty at VIR