Sponsored by:

Data Aquistion/ Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking at the G-Dyno Plus with GPS for $600. You can buy the G-Dyno first ($380), then the GPS($230) to split up the cost.
http://www.nology.com/gdynom.html
Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

If you're in for $600, why not get something that does meaningful data logging? From the looks of the web page, the G-Dyno Plus looks like a hopped-up G-Tech box. In that price range, the Traqmate looks much more useful for track work.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would think that Seven 10 bit analog channels (12.5 SPS), 4 digital channels(100 SPS), a tach input and a two axis accelerometer with up to 12 hours of storge on a 128MB MMC is data logging.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm actually running a less expesive AIM system, the MyChron3, which starts at around $850-950. Less analog channels than the MXL's, but enough for me, and the data analysis SW is excellent - pro level IMO. For video, I'm using a very inexpensive digital setup with bullet cam as mentioned above (and in my other threads); quality is sufficient, not awesome, but fine for review and analysis. To put the two together, I'm using TrackVision, which is likewise a very cost-effective solution; maybe not as simple as the David or other integrated real-time systems, but saves a lot of cash for nearly as much functionality.

The only things I feel limited in my setup at the moment are the video resolution (consequences of using an $80 recorder, but like I said it's OK) and lacking a TPS into my data (need to install one, there is no such sensor in my car).
Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jack667
I bought the DaVid system from AIM and I'll post some video when its finally installed properly and after I'm out on the track...
Jack, the DaVid setup is fairly spendy, right? The prices I got from AIM pre-release were around $1200 if you had an existing AIM MXL, or $1500 stand-alone. What is teh street price now?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Its up there. I'd need to check my records, but its north of where you're quoting, I believe. I bought the stand-alone and I think retail is $2800. I got a good deal but it was still very painful.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by beab951
I would think that Seven 10 bit analog channels (12.5 SPS), 4 digital channels(100 SPS), a tach input and a two axis accelerometer with up to 12 hours of storge on a 128MB MMC is data logging.
Brian,
Technically, you're right. You can do even better than that if you carefully research generic data logger hardware.

The issue quickly becomes a software question. The basic software to download data from a logger like this is fairly simple, but all you get is a ton of raw data. No smoothing, no math, no application specific funtionality like lap time, track map, sector analysis, run comparison, etc, etc.

Something like Traqmate gives you the GPS and logging features you need, plus decent analysis software to make sense of the results without having to write the code yourself. They will soon release the nest version of the Analysis package that exports data for TrackVision. We've tested already, and it works nicely.

Guess it depends if you want something you can use out of the box, and with some certainty of added functionality from the vendor over time, or a science project, for around the same price.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where will I find more info on teh Ultra Lap timer? I am still stumped by what to buy...so I am still looking and reviewing. Keep those suggestions coming please
Old 10-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony, I do like the software for the Traqmate but it states in the user manual (page 15) that the data logger is a future feature. Do you know if this is available yet? I was hoping to log a least 5 functions plus the GPS and G information.

Link to Ultra Lap information.

http://www.suspensionsrus.com.au/ima...ltra%20lap.htm
Old 10-12-2005, 11:50 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the difference between hot Lap and Ultra Lap? I must be missing something?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Ultralap stores 2000 laps. Hotlap stores 50. Ultralap keeps track of the temperature, date and track name. It can download lap data to your computer. It's better in about every way.

And oh yeah, hotlaps shake apart, over time.

I got mine from:

http://www.plavanracing.com/ultralapindex.htm

Last edited by JackOlsen; 10-13-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:36 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by beab951
Tony, I do like the software for the Traqmate but it states in the user manual (page 15) that the data logger is a future feature. Do you know if this is available yet? I was hoping to log a least 5 functions plus the GPS and G information.
You mean that the auxilliary sensor inputs are a future feature, right??

This is a quote from the guys at TrackSystems:
"The units we are shipping today are ready to accept the sensors so they can be added when the software and sensors are ready which will be later this year, currently scheduled for a Fall release.

The Traqmate has provisions for multiple user configurable I/O points - 7 Digital Inputs (brake light, gear, etc.), 4 Analog Inputs (steering position, throttle position, brake pressure, lambda sensor, etc.), and 2 Frequency Inputs (RPM, wheel sensor, etc.)."

My understanding is that the next version of TraqView is scheduled within a month or so, and will provide support for these inputs. You should check with TrackSystems. Post the questions on their forum at http://traqmate.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=2
Old 10-13-2005, 12:42 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by sleder
What is the difference between hot Lap and Ultra Lap? I must be missing something?
Read Jack's post.

What's the difference between 80's technology and current technology from a size and reliability viewpoint?
What's the difference between a pure hardware timer and a software-driven feature set?

The UltraLap is a very nice product. It does everything you want, and a few things you hadn't though of that are extremely cool - like figuring out that the session is over, and then showing you your best and average lap times for the session. All session data is date & time stamped, and can be downloaded [if you don't have a data logger].

No association, just a really happy customer. Nothing I don't like about the UltraLap. Rennlist sponsors CDOC have 'em too.

Last edited by APKhaos; 10-13-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:02 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Nothing I don't like about the UltraLap.
One thing. It goes through batteries a little bit quicker than Hotlap.

But then, the Ultralap tells you how much battery life you have left -- unlike Hotlap, which just lets you lose all your times for a session when the battery's done.

And the Ultralap turns itself on and off automatically, which Hotlap can't do.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Thanks Tony

Quick Reply: Data Aquistion/ Video