Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shenandoah for 2 days or LRP for 1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:44 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shenandoah for 2 days or LRP for 1?

I've got 4 DE days under my belt (2 at LRP, 2 at Pocono), and it looks like I can now fit in one more event this year because I just had the weekend of 10/28-29 free up. I can do a BMWCCA day 10/28 at Lime Rock or a full two days at Shenandoah with NNJR PCA 10/28-29. Both actually cost the same, although Shenandoah would be my first 2 day event and require a extra few hours of driving and a two night hotel room stay. LRP is a one day trip for me.

Given all of the above, which would you do? I know nothing about the Shenandoah circuit, but certainly felt that I improved by leaps and bounds on my second LRP day recently (my first time doing the same track twice -- my Pocono days were split between north and south). Since I guess I'm OK with the extra travel, effort, etc. to go to West Virginia, this should probably be an easy choice, but all opinions are welcome to tip the balance one way or the other. TIA
Old 10-07-2005, 10:08 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shenandoah is a BLAST in 944s/951s. I really had a hoot the last time I went. Join me and my buddies, many of whom will be there with NNJR (I hope) at Shenandoah. Beisdes, you have already been to Poconos.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:29 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how much track time you will get at LR with BMW but I suspect we will be running three groups at Shenandoah which means tons of track time. Hope you will join us.

Arlene
NNJR Track Chair
Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Folks around here much prefer LRP to shenadoah but you probably would enjoy a new track. LRP has gotten ridiculously priced, as well. And the weather is likely to be warmer in west Va. than in the southern Berkshires.
Metro has a three day event that includes a day at Summit toward the end of October. SP is a heck of a fun track (TD will vouch for that as well) Now that's a better reason to drive to West VA.
Marc
Old 10-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be at Shenandoah and am looking forward to trying a new track. I may seem biased, but two days vs. one, and learning a new track, would easily help me make the decision. (I do like LRP also)
Old 10-08-2005, 12:40 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

When learning to fly with the Air Force we were able to see the advantage of continual vs sporadic training. It's worth can not be overstated. What you learn on the first day of a DE is reinforced on the second. This is a hand/eye/mind excersise and we all benefit from practice. Practice becomes experience. Experience is good!!!

I go for two days whenever I get the chance and hope for three....all other things being equal.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

This was exactly the shove that I needed. Thanks!

Arlene -- I sent the application in this morning.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

I vote to do West Va, also. As stated practice through repetition is everything. I was just a Summit Point for the first time last week. AWESOME track, great facility, havent done Shenandoah yet, not in any rush to do so, but would definately opt for 2 vs's 1 day. Lime Rock days usuaully are pretty easy to find, the NNJR guys are a great group to help you gain the experience you are looking for, and always put on a very well organized event.
Have Fun, wish I was going too..
Old 10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by KLR
This was exactly the shove that I needed. Thanks!

Arlene -- I sent the application in this morning.
Looking forward to seeing you there, KLR!

-Zoltan (Guards Red 944S2, #142) - look me up!
Old 10-08-2005, 04:30 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surveyed Shenandoah before it opened I did not like the layout. Drove it and really liked it! Do Shenandoah. NNJR runs a well organized event. Your Instructor will be essential on the "line" there. Engineering marks are pretty accurate also. By the way, I just did a 4 day school at the actual Nurburgring (Germany) and the Sheanandoah "Karusel" turn is accurate with the entry just on a smaller scale.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Surveyed Shenandoah before it opened I did not like the layout. Drove it and really liked it! .
We locals are hearing this all the time. I too was expecting something less and was not looking foward to instructing on it. We have have had a blast on the new track and the overall response has been two thumbs up. It is a drivers track and will expose you to many driving concepts. Don't let the cement scare you. When driving on the track you don't get the feeling that you are going to hit them. You CAN but they don't feel like they are looming over you and the speeds are lower at those points.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:31 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

The only place that bugs me a little is the "pit straight" (I think that is what they call it). You take a fairly hard right hand turn that places you on a very short straight that is next to a concrete wall before another sharp right hander that leads into the esses.

I was trying to work on not braking too much in the section coming up to this straight (actually, I was playing this game where I told myself that my brakes didn't work). I was in complete control, but once I tracked out fairly wide coming into that pit straight and I imagined what it would be like if your tail came out and "kissed" the wall. Think T9 ("the offcamber") at Watkins Glen but a concrete wall right at the track edge rather than armco 6" or so off the track edge, and a lot slower.

It gave me the heeby-jeebies and I concentrated on accuracy for the entry right-hander so that my fears did not become reality, but I can see how it could happen, particularly if traction is compromised. The good part is that it is a fairly slow part of the track, so you might dent your car, but not your head (or anything else).

Quick Reply: Shenandoah for 2 days or LRP for 1?