Sponsored by:

I'm baaaack (due to extreme stupidity)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I've always felt that Peachstate has a great pre-grid system for DE. For whatever reason it works: folks line up early, they are ready, there is a hand signal from each driver when they are ready to go, etc... For whatever reason, this level of rigor/discipline doesn't seem apparent when I attend various Northeast region's events.

As for constructive criticism, etc, Zman and I still have a charter to fulfill regarding reviewing and enhanceing the tech process for next season. I hope to be able to spend some time on this after returning from Germany. I'll note these ideas and Z and I can discuss them.
I should have mentioned this earlier in this post - indeed we are looking to improve our techs...
Z, on another note, not always a good idea to argue with the guy who wrote the track registration program...
Nor is it a good idea to argue with the guy who can pass or FAIL a car for DE.

Besides, this is NOT an argument: rather it is an exchange of ideas, or a discussion. At least that's the way I see it!
-Z-man.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:24 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
And therein lies the problem!

It does not exist anywhere that I know of. There is no one-source option for learning about this stuff. You have to scratch and dig and claw at every possible source, and then have the smarts to put all the pieces together into a coherent safety model... yourself. Personally, I don't think a lot of people are that smart... or motivated. Give them one source, and it might sink in...
You are not alone. There are some efforts underway, and they have been initiated by frustrated racers. Applause, applause.

So anyway, you guys asleep out there? I posted that safety blurb to get some reaction as to whether y'all thought it was effective in getting a point across and informing folks of the parameters of what we are dealing with.

Hello?
I like it. Concise and effective.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:43 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
...As for the crash video link:
ISAAC Link crash test

That's the test for the ISAAC Link system (I was present for this test). Yeah, it's impressive. Maybe these are appropriate?...
Crash videos will scare the hell out you. Very sobering. For that purpose they are valuable. The problem is that they don't present load data, so people begin making decisions based on the TV screen alone.

The military had this problem years ago. The crash videos showed all sorts of upper body motion, so the designers switched to stronger/stiffer shoulder belts. Great idea--except for all those spinal compression injuries that resulted. Modern harnesses have about 80% of the load carried by the lap belts and the rest by the shoulder belts, but you can't see this on a video.

I like videos. They are great for making a point, but can be dangerous for making a decision.

(YMMV/Do not try this at home/Professional driver on a closed course.)
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Greg;

Everyone else seem to have lost their opinionation here. Is it because they don't understand, or don't feel qualified? What makes me qualified would also be a good point, I suppose. Just an interested amateur.

Your feedback lends much credence. Thanks!

I have a very substantial document already written pertaining to helmets, harnesses, and seats. I have not as yet completed the tubing/harness bar/roll bar/cage portion, having found it the most difficult part to write, oddly enough. Since no one has gotten through my short bio-mechanics blurb, I fear the rest of it would fall on deaf... er... eyes.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

John - I've read it, am sure others have too. I like it.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:48 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Greg;

Everyone else seem to have lost their opinionation here. Is it because they don't understand, or don't feel qualified? What makes me qualified would also be a good point, I suppose. Just an interested amateur.

I have a very substantial document already written pertaining to helmets, harnesses, and seats. I have not as yet completed the tubing/harness bar/roll bar/cage portion, having found it the most difficult part to write, oddly enough. Since no one has gotten through my short bio-mechanics blurb, I fear the rest of it would fall on deaf... er... eyes.
Geeez John, I can't spend every day goofing off at work reading Rennlist

I like it. It makes a good "why", now it just needs to be accompanied by the "how".
Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

John - As always I though your post was informative. This is exactly the type of thing that we should be teaching our novice drivers so that they can be safer.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Z, on another note, not always a good idea to argue with the guy who wrote the track registration program...
If driver = "Zman" then
neverregister.put(driver)
msgbox ("That driver may not be registered for any event due to a technical issue")
endif

Z - no harm no foul. We are all trying to achieve the same goal here!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

I haven't read this entire thread, but I did get most of the last 2 pages. Not sure where any of this is going, but I have done multiple events at multiple venues, with multiple regions, both PCA and BMW. I find it interesting to note the differences.
For example, in the Northeast, particularly with PCA, pre-tech seems pretty good (btw, some regions allow instructors to skip tech), long sleeves are a must, even in 100 degree weather, and solo groups are allowed (usually White and Black). At a recent BMW DE at Road Atlanta, there was no pre-tech at the track for anyone - novices or instructors, short sleeves are allowed - even in 65-70 degree weather, and there is no solo group (even the most experienced students/non-instructors must have an instructor atleast for the first session each day and more if they don't get signed off).

I think that we all can suggest a better way to do things, and a small portion of those with suggestions actually get invloved - most probably don't. For me, I don't really have time to get involved too much, and I just go with the flow for the most part - accepting that no two groups are going to have the same policies - what each group considers important is not universal.

One last thing - I think its great when those who are involved are open-minded. All too often, I've found that the folks on the track committee are snobby and closed-minded. They hide behind the "all-volunteer" mantra as an excuse for poor planning and organization, and they're often rude when suggestions are offered. I have never really thrown too many stones, mostly because I do appreciate the fact that these folks are volunteers (maybe they get free track time?), and bc I don't get involved myself.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by 38D
If driver = "Zman" then
neverregister.put(driver)
msgbox ("That driver may not be registered for any event due to a technical issue")
endif

Z - no harm no foul. We are all trying to achieve the same goal here!
Who's this 'Z-man' driver? Never heard of him!

Colin - agreed - no harm, no foul. We see the same thing, just from different sides of the fence. And as you know, I am all for improving the system, if the system needs improvement.

-Zoltan.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stacy;

You have a "How" PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:17 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stacy;

You have a "How" PM.
That is exactly what I was looking for

While reading it, I even found a problem with how I have my harnesses installed
Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Nor is it a good idea to argue with the guy who can pass or FAIL a car for DE.
Given that 38D runs events with many regions and you only run with the one controlled by the track program, who loses?

Quick Reply: I'm baaaack (due to extreme stupidity)