Help please with MXL Pista Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Help please with MXL Pista Installation

Any help with installation tips would be greatly appreciated. The car is a 993TT. Any pictures of how and where the sensors for speed and RPM, etc were placed and connected will be very helpful. It seems like it is prewired for a straight ECU connection. There is no one in this country who would know anything about this datalogger.
TIA
Old 10-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jean - Where did you buy it from? Perhaps they can help....

I'm having this setup added to my SM, but my mechanic is doing the work, I just want to drive...
Old 10-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kim I bought it from the US (WA) through a Rennlister, and the box was open when I received it, so I don't have the CD software nor do I seem to have the speed sensor and RPM sensor. God knows what else. I am trying to contact the dealer who sold them. Pictures of the install would help me identify what is missing and at the same time where deos the speed sensor go for instance and RPM pickup..etc.. If you get a chance to have some pics, it would be great. You're lucky you don't have to go through the installation process
Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well...I did a tranny swap in the paddock this past weekend...it took all day but I made qual with 5 minutes to spare....a 3 hr shop job took me 9 hrs on my back on asphalt....

I'll see if my mechanic can take some pics. You can probably contact AIM directly for help and perhaps pics...
Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Kim, will do.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Check the 'Documents' section at http://www.aim-sportline.com/
Old 10-05-2005, 03:21 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Oh man! Well, the software (SW) should regardless be able to be downloaded from AIM's website. In fact, starting off by downloading the latest would not be a bad idea at all. There's both the SW for your laptop - Race Studio and Race Analysis - and the firmware for the unit itself. The unit actually comes with firmware already in it, so all you need to get started should be the PC SW.

Regarding speed and RPM - isn't this one of the AIM units that should be able to get all of that from the CAN bus? I mean, sure, you can add sensors, but if it's not necessary and the data's already available from the stock sensors, why not? In my case (AIM MyChron3 Gold XG in a '79 924), I have no computers in the vehicle to talk to, so it was a manual install. The speed sensor I installed on the diff flange to measure rear wheel speed (using a simple aluminum bracket), and the RPM pickup was tied in to the coil.

But I'd try to use the RS232 - CAN connection first, if an option.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the link Kim , I had not checked that section earlier. It is still pretty much technical ( I am very electronically challenged ) but it should clarify a bit more.
Vaughan, thanks for your input. It would be great if I could connect it to the Motronic but apprently they have not yet sorted out the old ones, I think the 996 may be able to get ECU connectivity. This is why I was hoping someone with a 993 or 964 would chime in.
The catalog says that I should have the speed sensor and RPM sensor in there, and based on the pictures provided, they were not in the box, so I think I will have to order them In the meantime, I am waiting for an answer from the supplier. I downloaded the software, I hope it will work, thanks.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jean,

Email me with your specific questions. I installed and have been running a couple of MXL Pro's for over a year. I have 10 channels (2 digital, 8 analog) connected; however, I am not running an ECU link.

I may be able to answer some of your Q's...

Norm
Old 10-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Norm,
You are probably the best person to clarify a few things to me, after all I bought it because I knew you are using a similar one . Thanks for posting, I will send you an email with some pictures and Q's this PM.
Best,
Jean
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
AiM Sports Tech
3rd Gear

Jean,

The MXL Pista kit includes:

A. MXL Display
B. Standard harness AMP connectors
C. Speed sensor, small bag w, nuts and a magnet. ( Sensor looks like a bolt with fine threads and a wire exiting the tip.
D. 1) Thremoresistence temp sensor w/ extension M5X 0.8 or 1/8 NPT threads. Can be used for water Temp or oil Temp
E. Lap RX
F. Beacon TX
G. USB download cable
H. Software. This is a free download from the website. Latest version 2.20.16

Installation

Is your 993 a 1997? if so thier is no communication protocol that we can use. However the MXL is still equipt to accomidate all of your sensor needs.

RPM installation: Take the wire labled RPM (Wht). Connect it to primary neggitve side of the coil. Idealy cylinder 1 but any coil will work.
In Race Studio 2 / MXL System manager/ System configuration the rpm multiply factor will be /2.
If your rpm is showing half the value then select /1.

Speed Installation: Mount the sensor on the either of the front wheels. RF is recommended because it is in contact with the ground the most time in a majority of the tracks in the US. You will need to fab a bracket to mount the sensor. Then mount the enclosed magnet to a part that rotates 1:1 with the wheel. The gap from the sensor and the magnet must be between 10mm-20mm. You will need to measure the wheel circumference and enter it in the software. Note measure the circumference with the tire at the pressure normally seen on track, (Hot pressure) this will give you a more accurate speed and distance value used for the track map.

I hope I have been clear, If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Mario
Old 10-11-2005, 02:51 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Mario! Welcome!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:55 PM
AiM Sports Tech
3rd Gear

Thank you

Mario
Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mario,

Thank you very much for your support, this was very helpful. NGoldrich was kind enough to identify all the items that I received based on a picture I sent him, and I was indeed missing the speed sensor, the software CD (downloaded) and the rubber mounts from the box. He also gave me detailed explanations on how to connect every sensor.

Also, your Italian mother company has proven to be excellent with customer support. FWIW, I ended up ordering the following sensors post my contact with them 2 days ago: Speed, throttle, brake, steering angle, oil pressure, head temp and oil temp!

Mario you asked the question about my 993's MY, would it make a difference? My car is a 1996 993TT but it has a N/A (Carrera) Motronic ECU from 1995 since it is converted for pressure sensing.
Any luck with any compatibility? Most probably not.

Best,
Old 10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
AiM Sports Tech
3rd Gear

Jean,

Excellent Norm is a great guy. My question about the year was related to a question we had in our tech support form, I guess it's n/a. Sorry the 95 Motronic ECU is not compatible.

Best regards,

Mario

Quick Reply: Help please with MXL Pista Installation