Summit Point club race

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:46 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeQuig
Looking at the list of fine cars/drivers for this event has me thinking that some of my fellow Colorado racers might enjoy a trip east (ala our WG visit this year) to meet and compete against you right coasters. The question is: Is Summit Point a "Top Ten" type of track that one would want on their gotta-do list or would VIR be a better venue for anyone doing an 1800 mile tow to get there?

Thanks in advance

Mike Quigley
911 Euro SC "F"
Too bad you didn't plan to do this this year as the Summit and VIR races are on concecutive weekends, so you could (theoretically) do both on one tow.

Summit is a great old quirky sportscar track, and a blast to drive... whether it is worth an 1800 mile tow.... who knows? If you are the type to move heaven and earth to see a Cubs game in Wrigley Field, then the uniqueness and history may make it worth your while...

If you just want to drive a nice track, VIR is probably the better of the two. CHeck the schedule next year... you may be able to do VIR race and DE at Summit, or something... if you are here already, it may be worth your while to do both...
Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
D Sprint:
D Enduro:
1. Reading/Reading

Congrats guys.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:09 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks JCP. Anyone have any photos I can put in a Der Gasser article?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some, if you want them of me.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Mitch, I told Pete Tremper that I may have to switch co-drivers since you got by him during the enduro. Your dad and I had a good battle going for the first couple of laps of the enduro.

The track was definitely not as sticky during the enduro as it was during the sprint.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
78SC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great weekend despite a few problems for me. I got to meet Larry Herman, Chris Brown and a number of other Rennlisters.

I had good practice day on Friday dicing with Michael Levitas in his Grand Am/Rolex prepped cup car.

I had been on top of the time sheets on Friday but ended up second in Class for qualifying after Tom Pank showed up and put down a fast 1:16 flat!
I lost my fan/power steering belt in turn one of the sprint race and did not complete a lap which put me last on the grid for the Enduro.

Managed to go from 28th to 4th overall in the eduro despite a blackflag stop for a down window net. Discovered that I do not ever want to go 90 minutes again without a cool suit!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 78SC
Great weekend despite a few problems for me. I got to meet Larry Herman, Chris Brown and a number of other Rennlisters.

I had good practice day on Friday dicing with Michael Levitas in his Grand Am/Rolex prepped cup car.

I had been on top of the time sheets on Friday but ended up second in Class for qualifying after Tom Pank showed up and put down a fast 1:16 flat!
Lawson, you were going great. I noticed that here were a few cup cars out there that seemed to have a lot more grip than the car I was driving, especially through the carousel. Did your car have adjustable shocks, because the car I drove didn't and was bouncing all over the place. It made it very hard to put the power down immediately after turn-in, and I wound up having to "drive around" that behaviour. I really felt that there was more speed in that car if I could have made it softer.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Was you net down? At pit out we were thinking that a corner worker might have thought so as it was a mesh net rather than the web type.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:27 PM
78SC
Instructor

Hey Kurt-my net was down so it was a legit black flag. I hoped the workers would not notice. It was not fully locked in after my pit stop.

Larry-My car is a 2002 and still has the original non-adjustable shocks. The turn in for 5 is bumpy when you hit the concrete patch. My car felt pretty smooth around turns 6-7-8. I tried 3rd gear around 5-6-7 and then a short shift to 4 for 7-8 which seemed to smooth out the power delivery with less torque.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 78SC
Larry-My car is a 2002 and still has the original non-adjustable shocks. The turn in for 5 is bumpy when you hit the concrete patch. My car felt pretty smooth around turns 6-7-8. I tried 3rd gear around 5-6-7 and then a short shift to 4 for 7-8 which seemed to smooth out the power delivery with less torque.
Yeah, I figured out that using higher gears was definitely smoother after completing the sprint race. I was just getting into a groove for the enduro when I got knocked out.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

I was shifting into 4th near track out of turn 9. Leaving lots of time on the table by taking 9 in 4th.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
78SC
Instructor

Chris I have tried 3rd and 4th. With 3rd I was running out of revs before track out. For me it is probably a toss up between the two. Just seemed to feel quicker and smoother to do the short shift and then floor it in 4th through 9. I aslo like not having to shift until I have the car straight going up the hill.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I was on the rev limiter before trackout in that corner too. I just shifted there for the sprint race, but once I worked it out in the enduro warmup, it felt better in 4th, and I could turn in at a higher speed. I didn't have enough time to experiment with a better line through 7 to take greater advantage of this though.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:56 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Larry, send me those pictures (MJReading AT comcast DOT net). We'll throw them in Der Gasser. Can't write til after this weekend though, going down to Summit to run the last MARRS race. Some big names running with our team this weekend... if anyone is around the track the spec miata race will be HUGE (Zalner, Herr, Carter, ..... )
Old 10-06-2005, 10:26 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Manny,
You are right on about the track being slick... slick enough to help me spin in t1! Dad couldn't catch you and gave me the car early. About 60 min into the race I would be entering the carousel as Pete would be exiting, gaining a bit each lap. That is what kept me motivated, to get back to at least where Dad was and possibly more. I think they could have had 2 groups instead of 3 for the enduro, I wanted more cars on the track to race with. See you guys at Sebring!?

Quick Reply: Summit Point club race