Sponsored by:

Summit Point club race

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:18 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cris. I was at pit out and listened to the other end of your ordeal whithout knowing it was you they were talking about. They said they had a driver mad at them for not pulling him back to the paddock. I reminded them that pulling a car back and driving back unloaded was about the same thing time wise. Sorry to hear that it was you they abandoned. I will bring this up at the next C.R. meeting.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Kurt,

It couldn't have been me they were talking about. I wasn't mad, I was cooperative and appreciative. When the guy hopped out of the back of the truck and unhooked me and coiled up the tow line, I (mistakenly) figured they were going to switch to a shorter tow strap for the trip back. I watched calmly as they hung a left without a word to me and disappeared behind the little hill, thinking WTF?

Once I figured out that they had abandoned me, I was pretty PO'd. But by that time they were long gone.

I guess pull'em and drop'em was the Standard Operating Procedure that weekend.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Cris
I was a volunteer helping in EV (Emergency Vehicles) this past weekend. The EV crew was very short staffed, 3 of us total. This count does not include the EMS people who serve a different function.
We responded to you broken down on the side of the "hot" race track. I was riding in the back of the flat tow vehicle, I hooked on to your car and we pulled you to a safe position. We were in structed by race control to leave you in a "safe" position in the crossover road so that we could proceed to another incident in the lower part of the course.
I have worked with EV several times in my racing career and as a racer myself have a great appreciation for anyone who will go out on a "hot" race track to rescue a broken down car.
I think that if you have a complaint it would be better directed towards the steward and race control who made the decision that we should leave you there in the crossover road.

I enjoyed being able to help with the event and will ignore your "thumbs down" or perhaps you can buy me a cold beer and say "thanks".

cheers
Dave Parker
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 10-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Dave,

I think that if you have a complaint it would be better directed towards the steward and race control who made the decision that we should leave you there in the crossover road.
The gist of my complaint was the lack of communication involved. If you could've taken the extra 5 seconds to walk back to me and say that you were instructed to drop me there in a safe spot and had another incident you needed to respond to, I would've been totally cool with that. I'm a reasonable person. Otherwise, how would've I have known? I'm not the one with the radio to control. All I had were the actions to judge from.

Perhaps my "thumbs down" was a bit harsh, I apologize and will be glad to share a beer sometime. Like I said in my last post, I was appreciative of you and the rest of the EV crew for pulling me out of a hot zone.

And yes, "thanks" to you and the rest of the other volunteers.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Cris:
Which 944 was yours. I never did run into you at the event. I drove in the enduro with Starla Phelps in her 944. I drove about an hour without seeing another 944 NA running on the track. I guess I was on the opposite side of the track from the other 944s.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Mark,

It was a pretty busy weekend for me so I didn't find a lot of time to go wandering through the paddock. I got the car back from the cage builder late Wednesday night and was busy chasing various issues all weekend long.

My 944 was dull red with only the required numbers and decals on it. I was running as old 88 though. If you started the race, you had to have seen me, as my car died in the middle on turn 1 & 2 on the start and I had to take it off track left until it refired again. The whole field passed me and I had chase them down from the back. It eventually died for good about 15 mins in. We believe that its a faulty kill switch which I'm replacing.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:45 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Around lap 10, Ray Williams co-driver (www.lawsonaschenbach.com) tried a late pass into T1 and hits me in the rear right on the tow hook. Not too much damage to Karl's car (we think) but it does destroy the rear bumper, rear wheel and tire, and disrupts the rear right toe setting which was otherwise perfect thanks to TPC. Aschenback gets a 13 and I get an introdution to PCA Club Racing.
Lawson is an amazing driver, he should have certainly been on the pole. He does tend to smash em up a bit though driving that fast, as seen on my website

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the car!

Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking at the list of fine cars/drivers for this event has me thinking that some of my fellow Colorado racers might enjoy a trip east (ala our WG visit this year) to meet and compete against you right coasters. The question is: Is Summit Point a "Top Ten" type of track that one would want on their gotta-do list or would VIR be a better venue for anyone doing an 1800 mile tow to get there?

Thanks in advance

Mike Quigley
911 Euro SC "F"
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Hard to beat WG. The VIR race is this weekend, but it is a limited field with shortened sessions due to the fact that Grand-Am is also running. One of these years, maybe PCA will get a full 3 day race weekend at VIR and it will be awesome.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Glad to see that there was a reason to the hook and drop. The crew at Summit point is top notch and I was surprised to hear that "service" was less than good. They were hopping this last weekend for sure sometimes on multiple calls at a time.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Summit Point is a good track, but it is getting bumpier with age. IMHO VIR is worth an 1800 mile tow. The high speed esses, the 4200' back straight, and the rollercoaster/hogpen complex are breath taking!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry,

The rumor (and it is ONLY a rumor) is that you were buying Rick's cup car?

Are you returning to VIR w/ NNJR in November?

Richard
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 AM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Thanks for the input Larry. I figured VIR would be the answer. It could also fit in well, leaving about a month after the debut of the new Larry Miller-financed track in Salt Lake City which will have a club race next Sept 22-23. It will be over 4 miles and fast, but I digress. Thanks all for letting me butt in on the Summit Point post.

Mike Quigley
911 SC Euro "F"
Old 10-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Larry,

The rumor (and it is ONLY a rumor) is that you were buying Rick's cup car?

Are you returning to VIR w/ NNJR in November?

Richard
It is true that I am seriously looking for a car this winter for club racing, but it will not be a 996 cup car. It's a little over my budget, both purchase-wise and maintenance-wise. It will probably be a 92 US Cup Car, or a C2 Turbo for D. And Dan and I are registered for VIR, so we should be there.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry,
Great to see you down there! Just curious why you're not considering running your GT3 in B stock? Sounds like you can already drive the hell out of it anyway, come win B at Sebring!

Quick Reply: Summit Point club race