Sponsored by:

Homestead Advice / Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:38 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Homestead Advice / Video

I'm going to Homestead next weekend to drive in the CHRA historics, for the first time.

Anyone have any advice or a narrative describing the best way around the track?

I searched here, and found a great in car video from C4 Guy, but anything else would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help

Mark McKenzie
Old 09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you liked the video!
Here's a track map to facilitate a little discussion.

Do you know if they'll be running the same track configuration as the drivers ed does? ...or will you guys get access to some of the banking?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:42 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Terry,

I'd assumed it would be the same configuration, but I really don't know. Do some of the road race groups use more of the banking than shown in your video??

Thanks!

Mark McKenzie
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 PM
agio
Racer

Homestead is a nice track...and class A paddock. The only track in Florida with "elevation"...that's almost a joke here in Florida. Not at all like the Glen or Lime Rock, etc. But I've driven Homestead quick a bit. A turn is a turn (just about). But there are 3 turns in particular that I'd recommend a bit of caution to begin with...to learn the track is not a problem, but pay particular attention to 1, 6 & 10. As usual, back off the speed a bit and you'll get the point if you've had seat time at other tracks.
Have fun and if there's anything in particular you'd like to know about Homestead, let me know.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 PM
agio
Racer

should have said "quite a bit." Quick? I don't know.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
DanS911
Pro

Mark,
Yes some of the Pro race groups use what I think is NASCAR 3 & 4 instead of going into the infield for turns 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 in Terry's video. If that is the case you come down the back straight, stay up on the oval all the way around until turn #1...........WOW........... Probably have to tap the brakes to get it to turn in there!
Most of us (including Terry) are pretty much flat out going into T1 with the other configuration.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Dan and I have been experimenting with the approach to 12.
DE drivers take a wide approach on the left side of the track as they approach turn 12 to get a good entry. If you try that stunt in racing someone's obviously going to dive on your inside and take that spot away from you. We've been trying to carry more speed through the 9-10-11 straights by taking a late entry into 11 getting towards the right side of the track for the entry to 12. It makes it a little harder to get a good launch down the front stretch, but I think anything we're giving up down the front straight is made up by the amount of speed we're carrying in the back.
......it's our theory at least. I wish I had a lap timer to see if its any faster.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:13 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Homestead is a fun track for sure. And one of the safest we have down here. Turn one seems to be getting a lot of press here but in reality it has so much great runoff that you can feel safe trying to take it flat. It's not the turn that's hard to do flat, it's slowing for turn 2 that is the problem. If you don't think you can make 2, just go straight. (also if for some reason you don't think you can make turn one, go straight and you will just go up on the banking)

Now turn ten on the other hand is quite a pucker factor turn because most of the carnage that occurs at Homestead involves this turn. If you can't make the turn, please just go off straight!! Everyone that has hit the inside wall here makes the same statement, "I thought I could save it after I dropped two wheels off and then BANG! I hit the inside wall" Same story everytime. In fact, turn ten is the reason my good friend sold his Boxter and is now into a 996.

Have someone give you a drive around when you get there. With only 14 turns, it's a fairly easy track to learn.

Have fun!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:08 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Talking The Sphinctometer!

Originally Posted by mitch236
It's not the turn that's hard to do flat, it's slowing for turn 2 that is the problem. If you don't think you can make 2, just go straight.
Been there, spun that!

Now turn ten on the other hand is quite a pucker factor turn because most of the carnage that occurs at Homestead involves this turn. If you can't make the turn, please just go off straight!!
Amen!
Maybe we can get ColorChange to help us out with a little data aquisition here!
I want an in-car clench-o-meter or sphinctometer and see what kind of pucker factor I'm getting in ten! Then I can plot my g-sum over *ss-puckerage!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:10 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I tell you, I went out with Justin Bell driving my 951 and we got so loose in turn 10 that i crapped diamonds for a week!!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:59 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Thanks for all the input!
The 1-2 combination looks a lot like Texas World Speedway, only not quite as fast. TWS 1-2 has a tremendous pucker factor coming off the high banking through a very abrupt transition.
Anything more greatly appreciated.
Mark McKenzie
Old 09-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Mark,

Which class would you be running on? My notes are similar to those above.

See you there !
Old 09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...It's not the turn that's hard to do flat, it's slowing for turn 2 that is the problem. If you don't think you can make 2, just go straight...
Ditto that! Turn 10 IMO is much more "hairy" than turn 1 which is much more flat and has good runoff area.

As already said, if you need to go out, go out straigh, don't go to the grass or gravel trap sideways!
And if you're not panicing, most likely you don't need to go all the way straight, just enought to slow down and make the turn. Then return to the track and continue.

Ah well, picture is worth 1000 words, right?
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2005, 02:35 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Mark,

Which class would you be running on? My notes are similar to those above.

See you there !
I'll be in Group 3, Race Class GT5 and in the Continental Enduro. Group 3 has the Carrera Cup & Ferrari Challenge cars.

I have a 355 Challenge, that I've been club racing in Texas. I'll be there for Thursday's testing also. Hopefully you guys can help show me the way around.

Thanks,

Mark McKenzie
Old 09-22-2005, 03:02 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Turn 6 & 7

Don't underestimate Turns 6 and 7. (Always suprised by the number of cars that hit the wall at Turn 7 exit.)

If you need to shift between T6 and T7 track out.... Try straighting the wheel on the T6 curbing (drivers left), and upshift then turn in for T7 after the curbing ends. you'll track out on rt side of track which is also protective line.
With no traffic, and a long gearbox, one big sweeper is faster, ending up on left of track, heading toward hairpin.
in the dry its slippery due to cement repairs.

The entry onto the front straight has been futher restricted with plastic walls, to keep you off the banking.

bring spare brakes and fluids!

have fun!

Quick Reply: Homestead Advice / Video