Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:53 AM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sparco Helmet and R3 Head and Neck Restraint Question

Hi Guys,
I am purchasing the R3 Head and Neck restraint

and I am slo picking up a new helmet to drill for this device. I was looking at the Bell M3 and the Simpson SPeedway Rx, but I stumbled across a, presumably, better option.....the Sparco WTT-TK-Helmet.

From OG Racing's website:
  • The WTT-TK is designed with a wide eye port for the sedan and touring car racer. The TK has extra ventilation designed into the front chin bar for improved ventilation when used in a closed cockpit. The TK comes with removable cheek padding so the driver can order different pads to achieve the desired fit. The TK also includes a 3mm homologated shield with CNC machined aluminum hardware, positive lock down hinge and lightweight adjustable air ducts.

Features
  • Shell Properties: 100% Fiberglass construction offers optimum strength to weight characteristics. Sparco's Vacuum Form Resin Strengthening Process removes air during curing, ensuring a void free laminate. Proprietary Robotic Resin Thickness Control combined with a computerized measuring process ensures zero variance between helmets and precise weight uniformity. Precision Robotic Hydro-Jet Cutting Process for all helmet openings eliminates material fatigue which preserves laminate integrity.
  • Ventilation Characteristics: Proprietary Sparco AeroFlow channeling system provides optimal ventilation and air flow throughout the helmet in the most demanding environmental conditions. The WTT System consists of 4 Naca-shaped inlet slots on the chin bar; 3 reversible inlet/outlet air vents on the crown; 2 multipurpose exhaust/communication ports.
  • Shield Technology: Crystal clear un-obscured vision means better control and comfort. Optically correct, polycarbonate pre-formed 3 mm anti-scratch shield.
  • Aerodynamics: Revolutionary shape virtually elimates turbulence or buffeting.
  • Advanced Ergonomics: The SurroundSoft comfort system utilizes the optimum density of foam in each area of the helmet ensuring a proper fit and maximum comfort. An ultra-soft knit Nomex lining is used throughout. The inner liner is completely removable for easy cleaning and service.
  • HANS Device Compatible: A specially engineered platform eases the installation of HANS Devices.

The most important spec is the fact that there isn't some bogus disclaimer about drilling the helmet!! Instead, SParco recognizes the use of head and neck restraints and has specifically designed the helmet for a Hans device. Since the R3 utlizes the same concept, is it a fair statement that this helmet is a good choice for use with the R3??
Does anyone have this helmet and if so, how do you like it?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a nice choice. The Hans and R3 preferred mounting points are close enough that it should be fine for the R3. Is it Snell 2005?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good to me Ken. THe design looks great. I think the single most important point in a helmet is as tight a fit as you can stand before pain and distraction. So, if the helment (barely) fits, wear it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sparco Helmet

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Looks like a nice choice. The Hans and R3 preferred mounting points are close enough that it should be fine for the R3. Is it Snell 2005?
We have been told by Sparco that the SA2005 helmets will not be available until after Nov 2005.
Bill Love
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 09-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bill. I will need one for next season, so I'll get in touch with you after their release. Also, you have an e-mail from me.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:00 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have experience with this helmet? Comments regarding the compatibility of the Hans / R3 devices?

Quick Reply: Sparco Helmet and R3 Head and Neck Restraint Question