Sponsored by:

Ferrari of Washington

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 03:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Turns out certain relatives will be visiting that weekend and I'll be unable to sample the hospitality offered by our Italian brethren after all....maybe I can do Schattenbaum the weekend earlier. But thanks all anyway.

But Kurt passing a Challenge Stradale would be a must see event. .....the M-Man vs. Pizza Boy....in this corner....the pride of Potomac.....the master of momentum.....with one huuunndred and fifteeen horsepower....
I would pay to see that. I would even try not to get kicked out just so I could see it. I am not sure I would know how to act with linen and silver at Summit Point. Do they still eat 200 mph chili?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:56 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the Tifosi can be different from PCA guys for sure.

I ran the tower for my region for some years and was invited to do the same for a Ferrari dealership's day.

Well, promptly at 09:00 the track was ready to go, but the Ferrari guys were filling the pit lane, admiring an F40 (brand new at the time) and a GTO.

Now, at a PCA event, if the track isn;t ready on time, the lynch mob starts forming at the base of the tower about 09:03. It took us until 09:45 to get the Tifosi off the pit lane and into thier cars. It is NOT aobut the driving for them.

That's not bad, just different.

However, I can tell you Big Head Dennis and his Challenge buddies are nobody's slouches. I ran with them a Mt. Tremblant in August, and they are fast, courteous and know their stuff. As always generalities are suspect.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"However, I can tell you Big Head Dennis and his Challenge buddies are nobody's slouches. I ran with them a Mt. Tremblant in August, and they are fast, courteous and know their stuff. As always generalities are suspect."

I believe that Bob and I were at this event ( Fri. only). I didn't think that the Ferraris were particularly quick. As well, they could have been a little faster with the pass signals. But, they were not a hazard or badly behaved.
Don't think anybody will be getting by those guys with a 944 though.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Blaaaaahhhhh. You obviously don't know my "mad skillz" or my motto: Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. If you see a 944 that looks suspiciously like something from Animal House, be afraid, be very afraid . . .
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

O.K., I'm Afraid!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

O.K., I'm Afraid!!!!!!!
I bet you are . . .
Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Hmm,
I have to fine those qualfing results were I was slotted one spot in front of an F355 Challenge car.

Yep that was in my 131 rwhp 944.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:12 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

But Kurt passing a Challenge Stradale would be a must see event. .....the M-Man vs. Pizza Boy....in this corner....the pride of Potomac.....the master of momentum.....with one huuunndred and fifteeen horsepower....
115? I wish! Thanks for the extra 20 hp. 90 at the wheels on a good day for real. About 60 with the compression down to single digits. I have a feeling that even when driven at a "Relaxed pace" which I don't think they all are, a F car just might be able to get around me. I got more bugs on the back of the car than the front. They keep running into me.

It would be fun to drive with them and meet some other folks along the way. Do they discount for P car instructors?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

The real problem with Ferraris on the track are many. I know I race one.

1) I'm the only guy I have ever seen in 2 years with a Ferrari in a race group.
2) 90% of F guys are waxer polishers who think they can go fast because they have a Ferrari
3) these same guys have zero track time. Track time is everything that's why guys with 100hp 944's or miatas can killa Ferrari
4) F are very hard to drive fast. They have funky handling too much hand builtness to cars so that there is a huge variation in how the cars feel from one to another even in the same yr and model
5) Nobody races them and there is no aftermarket of true race test parts that works. I could buy big reds for my 944 and 5 guys right here on Rennlist will tell me exactly how much my stoping distance wii decrease from 100mph.
6) my dented fender is $20,000 to replace. My gearbox is $17,000 to replace
a 944T was sold by my house for $7k!
These are just of the few problems we F racers haveto face. So yeah when I see a POS 944 worth $2k and he wants to dive bomb me guess what? I move over! So why drive a Ferrari. Well If you haev to ask you just have never raced one. Read the poll on Rennlist sex vs racing. Ferraris take it to another level. Very high smiles per dollar even if you are not the fastest guy on the track. When I want to be fast and don't give a rat's A...I'l dive bomb the Porsche turbos and 100k GT3's in my Z06 vette worth all of $40k.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:15 AM
M758
Race Director

I know of a racer In southern Cal that races a 944-spec car and usally has 3 360's at the track too.

I think 1 is stock street car, another is a steet/track car and the final one may be 360 challenge car. (maybe not I forget).

It is intersting to see his line up. 3 360's next to semi car hauler and next to them is an old 944.

Well here is the best pic I have. No F cars in it, but you can see the hauler he brought the cars in

Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 227 Posts

They evidently don't discount- and evidently also require a full nomex suit for the upper run group (there is only one). The cost is $390 for both days- kind of steep and no discounts. But I'll bet the food is pretty good and it would be interesting to see the cars.

I may go up there if I can just to see how they structure it. I love freaking Ferrari's- always have always will but my favorite (the 275GTS Spyder) is a little out of my price range now. I think one sold at Pebble for close to 4M. In fact pretty much everything except ratty Mondials and 308s are out of my price range...and those are two I wouldn't want to own.

I did meet a hell of a nice guy in a Ferrari at Pet Smart last week- loading a dark blue 360 Challenge with boxes of pet supplies I kid you not.....I went over to talk to him as I couldn't believe it. He tracks the car, knew a lot of the Potomac folks and seemed to be as genuine in his desire to enjoy the driving as any of us are....
Old 09-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I did meet a hell of a nice guy in a Ferrari at Pet Smart last week- loading a dark blue 360 Challenge with boxes of pet supplies I kid you not.....I went over to talk to him as I couldn't believe it. He tracks the car, knew a lot of the Potomac folks and seemed to be as genuine in his desire to enjoy the driving as any of us are....
Wish I was there, that must of been a funny sight to see!

That goes to show that a lot of ppl, regardless how expensive their car is is extremely down to earth and are enthusiasts that love cars and love to drive.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:47 AM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

"However, I can tell you Big Head Dennis and his Challenge buddies are nobody's slouches. I ran with them a Mt. Tremblant in August, and they are fast, courteous and know their stuff. As always generalities are suspect."

I believe that Bob and I were at this event ( Fri. only). I didn't think that the Ferraris were particularly quick. As well, they could have been a little faster with the pass signals. But, they were not a hazard or badly behaved.
Heh-heh.

Just got around to reading this thread, thought I'd toss in my $.02. FWIW, there were seven Ferraris at the BMW club event at LCMT in August. A 348 street car (stock), five 355 Challenge cars, and one 360 Challenge. The 360 was having some quirky electrical issues (eventually fixed back in Boston by cleaning some ECU connectors!), and ran all of 1/2 of one session over three days.

The five 355 Challenges were driven by drivers with varying degrees of experience, including the teenage son of the owner of one, who was in run group 4 and is just getting his feet wet in DE, so he wasn't that fast (though fastest in Group 4 and then in Group 3, where he got bumped). Of the other five drivers, two are somewhat slower, and were being passed by various other vehicles, while I doubt that any of the other three drivers gave any point-by signals the entire weekend (just because there wasn't anything faster).

I was running 1:52's in traffic, on (literally) five year old used slicks (never got around to mounting newer rubber), with a few clear laps down in the high 1:50s, which I thought was decent enough.

vty,

--Dennis
Old 09-24-2005, 06:12 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

"I did meet a hell of a nice guy in a Ferrari at Pet Smart last week- loading a dark blue 360 Challenge with boxes of pet supplies I kid you not.....I went over to talk to him as I couldn't believe it. He tracks the car, knew a lot of the Potomac folks and seemed to be as genuine in his desire to enjoy the driving as any of us are...."

Thank you, George. I was glad to meet you. That was my '04 Challenge Stradale, now traded in, as of last week, on a '91 F40, my dream car. That car also went to Lowe's, Giant, the dry cleaners, and pretty much everywhere else. I didn't pay all that money to look at it in the garage!

I'd encourage you all to come out to the FoW event 10/22-23. I personally prefer having a variety of marques at these events - the highlight of FoW's last Shenandoah event was watching a Porsche factory race car (GT3RS?) play with a 360GT. At a Watkins Glen FCA event a couple weeks ago, there were 2 962s and 4 333SPs - I had the garage next to the 962s, and my car was completely invisible for two full days. No one looked at it, don't think I even looked at it.

FoW usually attracts a good collection of cars, Ferraris, Elises, Nobles, Porsches, a Ford GT last time, and so on.

Ferrari speeds? This past weekend, at Summit, we had a number of 360 Challenge cars, running times from the 118s on up. There was a BBLM in the 17s, I believe. Bring your race car and run with us in red. We'll do the best we can to make it interesting.

If you don't have a race car, the next group down sported a stock Gallardo doing 120s. I know he'd like someone to play with, too.

No silverware that I recall, but pretty good food and nice people.

The thing you have to know about FoW is that the owner is a racer (Grand Am Rolex series and others) and enthusiast (has put thousands of track miles on his F40). Lots of the FoW sales guys and techs are hardcore as well - one of the sale guys has some Winston Cup starts. Three of the sales folks, and often some of the techs, typically sign up to drive at these track events. Not many dealership have that level of enthusiasm.

Incidentally, passing signals are now mandatory at FoW's events. The red group is reserved for race prepped cars. I drove in red in both in my '03 Mini Cooper S SCCA race car (waaaaaay slow) and my 360 Challenge car.

Hope to see you in October. Registration is handled by Redding Finney at FoW, 703.478.3606.
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wch
"I did meet a hell of a nice guy in a Ferrari at Pet Smart last week- loading a dark blue 360 Challenge with boxes of pet supplies I kid you not.....I went over to talk to him as I couldn't believe it. He tracks the car, knew a lot of the Potomac folks and seemed to be as genuine in his desire to enjoy the driving as any of us are...."

Thank you, George. I was glad to meet you. That was my '04 Challenge Stradale, now traded in, as of last week, on a '91 F40, my dream car. That car also went to Lowe's, Giant, the dry cleaners, and pretty much everywhere else. I didn't pay all that money to look at it in the garage!

I'd encourage you all to come out to the FoW event 10/22-23. I personally prefer having a variety of marques at these events - the highlight of FoW's last Shenandoah event was watching a Porsche factory race car (GT3RS?) play with a 360GT. At a Watkins Glen FCA event a couple weeks ago, there were 2 962s and 4 333SPs - I had the garage next to the 962s, and my car was completely invisible for two full days. No one looked at it, don't think I even looked at it.

FoW usually attracts a good collection of cars, Ferraris, Elises, Nobles, Porsches, a Ford GT last time, and so on.

Ferrari speeds? This past weekend, at Summit, we had a number of 360 Challenge cars, running times from the 118s on up. There was a BBLM in the 17s, I believe. Bring your race car and run with us in red. We'll do the best we can to make it interesting.

If you don't have a race car, the next group down sported a stock Gallardo doing 120s. I know he'd like someone to play with, too.

No silverware that I recall, but pretty good food and nice people.

The thing you have to know about FoW is that the owner is a racer (Grand Am Rolex series and others) and enthusiast (has put thousands of track miles on his F40). Lots of the FoW sales guys and techs are hardcore as well - one of the sale guys has some Winston Cup starts. Three of the sales folks, and often some of the techs, typically sign up to drive at these track events. Not many dealership have that level of enthusiasm.

Incidentally, passing signals are now mandatory at FoW's events. The red group is reserved for race prepped cars. I drove in red in both in my '03 Mini Cooper S SCCA race car (waaaaaay slow) and my 360 Challenge car.

Hope to see you in October. Registration is handled by Redding Finney at FoW, 703.478.3606.
That is great. Glad you are using it as intended! Any pics of the F40??

Quick Reply: Ferrari of Washington