Sponsored by:

On the Beach

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default On the Beach

Has anyone seen the old movie "On the Beach" It stars Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, and Fred Astaire. I just saw it on Flix. It is about Australia being the only place left with people, because of a nuclear war. The people in Australia have just a few months before the nuclear cloud kills them.

I't's a pretty good movie, but the race toward the end of the movie is cool. I saw the movie in the theaters when I was 17, but had forgotten about it. The race has Ferrari's, a Mercedes 300SLR, other Mercedes lots of Jags, porsches(550 spyder), etc. The drivers race like there is no tomorrow, which of course there is. A 356 does an endo, and there are several fiery crashes. Fred Astaire wins the race in a Ferrari. If you haven't seen it, do. I would assume there was no 13/13 rule.

I guess it is terrible that I think a crash filled racing movie is cool, but what the heck.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classic movie! It was based on the novel by Neville Shute, and was the first [and only, for many ears] nuclear disaster movie. Quite different to today's disaster movies, this one focused on what good you can do with a finite amount of time before the inevitable.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:42 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have'nt seen it in a long time..

My favorite part was somewhere outdoors, you hear some off screen men drunkenly singing "Waltzing Matilda". Over the course of the song, their voices turn into a strong, steady chorus.

Said to me that they knew they were going, but they would go with honor and dignity.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great film. An early example of the genius of Stanley Kramer. Fred Astaire had a great line at the race, "We're all doomed, you know, the whole..................pathetic lot of us." But the most memorable scene for me was the sub's visit to San Diego. Powerful stuff.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I've never seen the movie, but did have to read the book back in highschool, wow, that was a long time ago
Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in Florida
A great film. An early example of the genius of Stanley Kramer. Fred Astaire had a great line at the race, "We're all doomed, you know, the whole..................pathetic lot of us." But the most memorable scene for me was the sub's visit to San Diego. Powerful stuff.
Make sure you avoid the remake with Armand Asante - it has the same name. It is as bad as the original was good!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The description seems to bring back some memories of watching said movie.

Definately on my 'must buy' DVD list.

Thanks!
-Z.

Quick Reply: On the Beach