trailer tow angle

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default trailer tow angle

I am thinking I need to drop the tongue down 4" but I am concerned about the bed weight. This is a pic with the trailer loaded. What do you think?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:39 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would dropping add weight to the front? As it is it looks like the rear trailer tires/susp is compressed more than the front. I would think lowering the front would get the tires closer to the pivot point compressed a bit more and this would slightly shorten the distance from the wheels active center to pivot point. My guess (and just a guess) is that leveling it up might lower the bed weight a bit and would also even up the work done by the trailer tires/susp.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Kurt,

I agree on the rear wheels/suspension carrying most of the load. I will drop it down and try to even it out a bit before the tow to Watkins Glen.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:55 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, at the angle it is in the picture the rear trailer axle is carrying more weight than the middle ofr front trailier axle. Hard to say without weighing individual axles just how much more but it is possible the rear trailer axle is getting overloaded as it sits. Also, you will get more weight on the dually back end when you do level her out.

Quick Reply: trailer tow angle