Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:24 AM
wasteg8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed Trailer Recommendations Please

Greetings--
Time to start shopping for an enclosed trailer now that I have a proper tow vehicle. ('06 F250 diesel) With that truck to pull it, weight obviously isn't an issue--more interested in quality, features, etc. I'm going to look at Haulmark ,Pace and Wells Cargo--anything that sets these apart from one another? Any others I should consider?
Many thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Featherlight (maybe featherlite?) should be at the top of your list. Very high quality. I had a 24' for 4 years and loved it.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:54 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wasteg8
Greetings--
Time to start shopping for an enclosed trailer now that I have a proper tow vehicle. ('06 F250 diesel) With that truck to pull it, weight obviously isn't an issue--more interested in quality, features, etc. I'm going to look at Haulmark ,Pace and Wells Cargo--anything that sets these apart from one another? Any others I should consider?
Many thanks
Yep these suckers will pull just about anything, but, as Bill implies, lighter is better. A friend of mine with an '05 diesel and an Iron Horse was just complaining that he was getting 10MPG towing, which I suspect is largely attributable to the fact that it is A) not a V-Nose and B) weighs a ton...actually almost two unloaded.

I'm about to get a lightly used Trailex as I value small and light. Beyond Featherlite, Thules, ATC are a good aluminum trailers as well. The other hard to value advantages of aluminum trailers are that they are lower maintaince and retain higher resale value.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 20' Cargopro (now owned by Thule) + 50" V nose aluminum enclosed, towed by both the Cayenne and my bride's 05 Excursion 6.0L PSD. You hardly know it's there.
Another rennlist member has an 18' ATC V nose enclosed which he pulls with the Cayenne.
As RJay said, aluminum enclosed have a very high resale value compared to steel trailers, and less weight it always better.
A driver's side escape door on the trailer is a VERY nice to have....makes it much easier getting out of the Cup car when parking it in the trailer.
Attached is a pic of my trailer, along with my 'what the hell was I thinking when I sold it and I wish I hadn't sold it' RSAmerica:
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lewis,
You'd rather have your RSA more than th euro cup? ... or just wish you had both!?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all boils down to get what you will need, not necessarily need today. What are you using it for, and how much do you want to pay for it. I found the Millennium trailers to be an exeptional value. It's what you don't see that is where the big differences usually are. Things such as the framing of the trailer, and the box portion. Review the roof construction, and DO NOT forget about the AXLE RATINGS!!! LED lights I believe are a basic need.
Hope this helps...Good luck
Old 08-29-2005, 01:16 PM
kary993
Drifting

I have had my ATC ( www.aluminumtrailer.com ) for the past 3 years and love it. Light weight and they are very good working on custom designs.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My trailer guy says anything other than haulmark or featherlite is "a headache". That said, I really like the Cargopro (by Thule) and, of course, there's Trailex - expensive, but VERY light = an easy tow.

Richard
Old 08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
phils87951
Instructor

Originally Posted by kary993
I have had my ATC ( www.aluminumtrailer.com ) for the past 3 years and love it. Light weight and they are very good working on custom designs.
A friend of mine also bought an ATC and is very happy with it
Fit and finish is really good, lightweight.
Just pit some skids under it at the corners to prevent damaging the aluminuim should it rub.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MJR911
Lewis,
You'd rather have your RSA more than th euro cup? ... or just wish you had both!?
Both
Old 08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
onasled
Instructor

I'm so jealous of you guys with the nice trailers ...
I'm towing a 14' (x 7'wide) haulmark contractors trailer with my $hitbox Expedidition. Has twin swing doors and I use 12' lam-beams as ramps ...
But it gets me there. I even built a tire rack and work station. All of this and a car in a 16 footer ..
I usually get some chuckles as I unload the Mini.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:32 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another ATC vote. Email Bob Rezner @ Rezner Trailers: rezner@reznertrailers.com
Old 08-30-2005, 11:18 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't go aluminum, which you probably should but they are spendy...I would STRONGLY suggest that you go with a prefinished interior.
I bought a new 20' Haulmark. Thought I would paint the floors and walls....well...after filling the screw holes, filling the gaps in the plywood, priming with oil based primer, painting a billion coats with oil based paint, all I can say is get it done at the factory! What you think will be a few hour project will eat up the better part of your evenings for the next week or so.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

My company sells Pace and has sold them since 1994. Good stand up company and good products. They manufacture steel framed and aluminum framed trailers (Silver Arrow). Their Shadow model (steel framed) is the most popular car trailer in the US.

If it were me buying a unit I'd get LED lights for sure, torsion axles, all wheel electric brakes and a finished interior.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Doing the same shopping myself. If you really want to pull out the stops, check out GoldRush, Wildside, and Optima. A step above Featherlite and ATC, but also really hold their value. Exiss is another premium name, big in horse trailers. Counterintuitively, the super high end AL trailers are almost as heavy as a steel trailer. When I expressed surprise at how much a GoldRush weighed compared to an ATC, the sales rep told me disdainfully, "yeah, there isn't much aluminum in those things..."

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer Recommendations Please