Sponsored by:

Amer Le mans

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 09:36 AM
jim911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amer Le mans

Why has Porsche built a LMP2 car when there are very few cars running in that group?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Think about it
Old 08-27-2005, 12:18 PM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

Isn't Mazada entering(first time) a LMP2 car at Road Atlanta also?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi rules LMP1. Porsche has neither the budget or the desire to compete.

Mazda allready has an LMP2. It sounds like a chainsaw with a miss. LMP2 has a big upside. It seems like the (LeMans) Prototype future is going that way.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 PM
onasled
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
Porsche has neither the budget or the desire to compete. ......
But they are.

Audi rules ALMS because of durability and the HUGE amount of $$$ behind them The Tyson cars are much quicker and faster, but have been plagued with electronic problems.
Porsche will not just be entering the American series, but I believe you will see them in all the LeMans series over seas. LOTs of completion over there.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:07 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche has entered LMP2 to sell race cars. This has been their stated goal.

Privateers cannot compete in GT1 against the Corvette and Aston Martin teams. LMP1 has been and will be for the near future the play ground for Audi/VW. LMP2 has been waiting for a legitimate constructor and team. Well, they have it now with Penske and Porsche. The privateers will benefit from a year of Penske development and Porsche will make money as it has with the GT3 Cup, RS, RSR, etc.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Another fact: The new guidlines for LMP1 favor 10Cyl TurboDiesel engines. Porsche has no inclination to develope diesel engines. LMP2 is wide open with poorly developed, fragile cars with more DNF than any other group! I can see Porsche easily dominate LMP2 for years to come (just as Audi with LMP1).
Old 08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim911
Why has Porsche built a LMP2 car when there are very few cars running in that group?
LMP2 is privateer-oriented. LMP1 is manufacturer-oriented. Once Penske gets a crack at the LMP2 championship as the sole team running the Spyder in 2006, the cars will be sold in 2007 to Porsche customers looking to step up from the GT ranks. With Porsche's clear profit requirement for all new programs (i.e. nothing moves forward unless the business case indicates it will make money for the company), there was little likelihood that Porsche's "return" would be in LMP1.

Also, FWIW, the development of the LMP2 Spyder is being funded by PCNA/PMNA (e.g. PCNA/PMNA contracted PAG to develop the prototype). So, this cannot be interpreted as PAG's desire to return to top-level (or "higher-level") competition. If, however, the LMP2 proves suitably profitable in 2007 and beyond, perhaps that will be enough to lure PAG back with a true factory-backed program (think 956/962 era). However, I'm not holding my breath on this; I'll just be happy if LMP2 has 6-8 consistently competitive entries in a couple years.

Finally, despite its LMP2 status, don't be too surprised if the Spyder runs toe-to-toe with the Champion and Dyson LMP1 entries at the end of this year. Next year, if/when Champion gets R10s and Dyson gets B06/10s, the gap between LMP1 and LMP2 will open once again.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3 Racer
Isn't Mazada entering(first time) a LMP2 car at Road Atlanta also?
The Mazda-powered Courage debuted at the 2nd round of this year's ALMS season (Road Atlanta). For now (and perhaps until a four-rotor engine is developed -- *if* a four-rotor engine is developed), the car is significantly down on horsepower compared to the AER-engined competition.

It sure sounds cool, though. Zoom Zoom...

Old 08-30-2005, 06:00 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

It is very interesting that Porsche's American arm is the impetus for their return to racing. With Porsche commited to developing and producing a 4 door sedan, I don't see them competing in LMP 1 against Audi.

Quick Reply: Amer Le mans