Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 03:25 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Default X-Post, my first track video. 1 1/2 laps around Road America in a 928

Enjoy!

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/223787-my-first-track-video-1-1-2-laps-around-road-america-in-an-ob-928-a.html
Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
onasled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can not be found .....
Old 08-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice smooth driving, but you appear to do a lot of coasting. Not the fastest way around. And what's with the upshifting technique? Either you've seen "Bullitt" too many times or you have no syncros!

BTW, the video looks and sounds good. I noticed that you have a widescreen camera (like mine) and I bought a wide angle lens (.6 something or other). It allows you to get even more width to the shot, and the "peripherial vision" that it mimics makes an even better view.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Nice smooth driving, but you appear to do a lot of coasting. Not the fastest way around.
When I'm approaching a turn?

And what's with the upshifting technique? Either you've seen "Bullitt" too many times or you have no syncros!
I was wondering who would bring that up. Yes I've seen Bullitt more times than I can count, and yes my syncros are horrible in this car. A few times 4th gear was not there and the little "blip" seamed to help prevent that. Between 2nd and 3rd isn't that smooth either. Not fun when you go in for a pass, have a wave by and suddenly cannot find 4th. The "pack" behind me I'm sure wasn't amused. Oh well, it was the slow beginner group.
The duel disc clutch in this car might also be hanging up a bit. Hopefully I'll have a new trans lined up for next season.

BTW, the video looks and sounds good. I noticed that you have a widescreen camera (like mine) and I bought a wide angle lens (.6 something or other). It allows you to get even more width to the shot, and the "peripherial vision" that it mimics makes an even better view.
This was a loaner camera I given at the last minute - good idea on the wide angle adapter. I'll make sure whatever camera I buy has that available.

If you want to discuss beginners mistakes - I should upload the video where I lined up on the grid with my hatch open.....
Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice smooth driving, but you appear to do a lot of coasting. Not the fastest way around.
Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
When I'm approaching a turn?
Yes. I just re-read your initial post on the 928 forum, and seeing as how this was only your 2nd DE, I would not stress hard braking at this point. Smooth entry and full power coming off the turn is the first skill to develop. Then, as you can enter the typical turn, transition to the gas, and put it right to the floor every time, you can start working on compressing your braking distances and carrying more entry speed.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Larry, thanks for the critique.
I spent all weekend trying to get used to the breaking with this car. My last DE was in a stock 81 928 with a single piston stock caliper for the early cars.

This car is lowered, upgraded suspension, lighter, has 4-piston brembo calipers, and rotors that are significantly larger/thicker. The breaking distance on this car is so much shorter vs my other car, it scared me the first time. I went into turn 5 after my warm-up lap on Friday, hit the brake's hard at my previous spot and almost came to a stop before the final brake marker. This car is a blast!

I might be running Sunday with a Shelby club, not sure if I’ll have a camera though. I’m waiting until after my wedding in October to show up with a $2k HD Sony camcorder.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:22 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I’m waiting until after my wedding in October to show up with a $2k HD Sony camcorder.
bahwahhhaaah
After the wedding I'll bet you won't find any money available for car toys like camcorders!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:03 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Nice job on the video! I especially liked the jaws theme music! The sound of the 8 was pretty sweet too.

You might want to start uploading your video to Googles new video site - it's free!
click here to check it out
Old 08-26-2005, 10:27 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Hey the car sounds great and the video was first rate. I don't believe you mentioned what camera you had borrowed. It looked like something was on top of your mirror, was it a bullet lense??
p.s. nice smooth line.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:49 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by renvagn
Hey the car sounds great and the video was first rate. I don't believe you mentioned what camera you had borrowed. It looked like something was on top of your mirror, was it a bullet lense??
It's a JVC camcorder mounted to a BK mount on the rollbar. I used Vegas Video 6 to render the video in a WMV format with the audio on full quality.

Originally Posted by renvagn
p.s. nice smooth line.
Thanks! I know that car can go faster, but my #1 goal that weekend was learning the lines and learning that car.
The "cheater" cones help and I had a great group of instructors. Its amazing how much you can lean from different people. My main instructor had a tire issue, had to leave for one session, ended up with someone different and the 3rd person that road with me races a silver Fabcar 911 in GT1. Between the three I learned more in 3 sessions than some learn in an entire weekend.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I love that track! Planning on returning for the 2006 race.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:24 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

sounds like the V8 corvettes that raced there last weekend in ALMS. it's cool to see your video after watching a pro race there.

DE is addictive. i'm still focusing on learning the lines and not carrying too much speed into the corners.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:17 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Joe,
I thought the same thing (still throaty and way cool), but thought it was sacrilegious to say a porsche sounds like a vette.

Quick Reply: X-Post, my first track video. 1 1/2 laps around Road America in a 928