Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle evacuation procedures do you practice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts
Question What vehicle evacuation procedures do you practice?

With the addition of a HANS device, I plan to run fully-suited evacuation drills, both left (driver's door) and right (passenger side).

What is the common wisdom for such evacuations and timing?

For background, PCA F-stock car with full cage, partial door bars, full race-seat / 6-point, full-face helmet + HANS.

Thanks in advance from guy that wants to have the "get the heck outta here" part well-rehearsed in advance.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

We have a customer who practices this regularly and keeps track of his exit times. He goes out the driver's side and passenger's side under two different scenarios. (He can tell you all four times off the top of his head.) One is the more casual scenario where he grabs the fire bottle and pops the hood release. The other is your classic get-the-hell-out bail mode.

His best time out the driver-side window is seven seconds.

Also, he assumes the worst case condition of the car being on fire--when he cannot breathe or see--so he practices while holding his breath with his eyes closed.

This is a very smart idea. Panic is dangerous, and the best way to avoid it is to practice. It's a great way to add to your safety portfolio without spending a dime.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Close your eyes. black out the helmet. slow down, breath, memorize the sequence...... Same order upside down?

Unless you're on Fire, there no rush to get out after a crash. better to stay put til help arrives.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks guys. Agreed on "stay put" scenarios. I am focusing on the "must get out of the car now" scenario (fire, etc.).

Great ideas:

- Hold breath, close eyes or black-out visor
- Consider upside down, any change in sequence
- Memorize and practice sequence steps in uniform fashion

I am also assuming that one door or the other will be in condition to open (thus, no window exit practice planned). I figure the passenger-side-bail-out is in case driver's side is up against something.

Keep them coming. Any others?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:17 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only way to know for sure that a wrecked car is not on fire is to get out and look - preferably from behind positive protection. I would never stay in the car after an impact . I'd get out quickly, calmly but quickly. I guess it couldn't hurt to practice doing it blindfolded and holding your breath. I think in a tight cockpit like mine the passenger window is the quickest way out especially if I dont have time to release the steering wheel. Time to practice.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:46 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you see evidence of fire you are much better off staying in the car until instructed by a corner worker.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:12 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
Unless you see evidence of fire you are much better off staying in the car until instructed by a corner worker.

What if there's no corner worker in sight ? What if they don't even know you've crashed ? They're looking at another off or stuck behind a catch fence etc.
I hope someone will be there to help me but I'm going to try to help myself first. This is just my opinion, of course.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:31 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Stay in the car unless there is an immediate danger.

I'd hate to have another car lose control in the same spot (oil, debris, etc.) or for what ever reason come and hit me as I was getting out or getting to a "safe" place.

My .02
Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

chrisp,
Kevin Buckler would agree with that advice after that GA race at Watkins Glen where he got hit while trying to climb out of his car.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:41 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

not to change the subject, but Greg, why are you selling your car? Moving up or out?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I started using the Isaac for the first time this past weekend, so one of the things I wanted to practice was disconnecting it quickly with only one hand. After every session, when I'd come off track, I would try to pull the pins as quickly as possible with either my left or right hand. The first time I tried, I couldn't even find the green cords on the pins. By the end of the first day, I could just yank them out. I also practice getting my steering wheel out of my way quickly. Makes it a lot easier to get out.

As for staying in the car, I agree with staying in unless you have some reason to think there is a fire. Especially if you are in an impact zone (if you got there, someone else can). A few years ago, a guy in front of me at Mosport blew his motor and spun in his own coolant. Came to rest sideways across the track (in T1) with no motor. He started to get out when he saw cars coming and closed his door and waited to be hit (luckily nobody hit him, but a few came very close). Problem was, he had undone his belts to get out, and didn't do them back up again.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 AM
PT
Racer

Originally Posted by sjanes
I started using the Isaac for the first time this past weekend, so one of the things I wanted to practice was disconnecting it quickly with only one hand. After every session, when I'd come off track, I would try to pull the pins as quickly as possible with either my left or right hand. The first time I tried, I couldn't even find the green cords on the pins. By the end of the first day, I could just yank them out. I also practice getting my steering wheel out of my way quickly. Makes it a lot easier to get out.
Removing the steering wheel with 1 hand indeed requires lots of finesse I find. You have to be very straight before the wheel would go in/out. So this might be your biggest hurdle if you only have 1 mobile hand.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:36 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Always stay in your car with the belts tight unless the car is on fire or you are greeted by track workers. In the case of a follow up incident the safest place is in your car.

Seege,
If you come to NASA Az race please stay in your car. There have been numrious times when folks with mostly mechanical breakdown hop out and start walking around. Not good . We have been lucky and nobody has been injured, but our Race Director STRONGLY reitertates "STAY IN THE CAR".

Get out only if the car is on fire or you are instructed to do so by safety crew. If you hop out at NASA Az event you WILL get yelled at.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a convertible, you might consider installing a zero-zero ejection seat. Be sure not to use it when flipped upside down.

On a more serious note, I got to participate in a submerged cockpit evacuation exercise once. Basically they seat you in a mockup cockpit, and give you o2 tanks, and then slowly submerge you into a pool. You are supposed to get out. It's hard!! Then they do it in the dark, and then they do it upside down and in the dark - which is damn near impossible!!!! One guy started swimming down instead of up!!

I would hate to be in a car on fire, flooded with smoke, with no emergency exit practice!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I have had to exit cars quickly under two circumstances:
water
fire
with water you must not panic, as you need to allow the pressures to equalise inside the cabin, panic uses up the air and saps energy. I had to exit through the rear window, which does not get tested very often.
Fire, close the helmet immediately, be very calm.
You have immense strength in these situations, however removing the steering wheel is vital. wheel removed, no belts you might even be able to dive through the passenger lexan window.
I always think its a good idea to turn off the electrics whilst rolling. If gripping the wheel, be careful not to let your fingers or thumbs get caught and broken, you will notice later. If not gripping the wheel I clasp my arms across my chest to stop them flailing around.
The time I ended up upside down in a creek with gas dripping on me, I did not panic but my voice was a little squeaky. Fortunately I had a routine. It sounds as if I make a habit of this I don't, I just started doing this sort of thing a very long time ago.

R+C

Quick Reply: What vehicle evacuation procedures do you practice?