Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys...
Old 08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
McMaster-Carr calls them Two-Piece Clamp-On Shaft Collars. I don't see a way to get the URL for the page with these guys, but it looks like page 1035 at http://www.mcmaster.com/. I think Schroth suggests using SFI tube padding, held in place by hose clamps, just as John suggests, but I like these collars. They will NOT move if properly sized, and they look good. I really don't need padding on my bar, so far as I can tell.
Oopha, $37 each?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd like to know what split collar locking rings are, and where they can be found, also. I did a google search, but I came up with a male chastity device web site, and I could look no further....
A bit OT, but I did a Google on "male chastity device" and got a picture of my wife.... what's upt with that?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Charlie,

I'm swinging by OG Racing this afternoon to check out what they have and will let folks know. Also, I was browsing and was thinking that the Longacre or BK helmet hook would also work as it is pretty much the same thing, but with a hook. The helmet hooks are about $15 each.

-Skip
Old 08-18-2005, 04:29 PM
TrackRat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know what split collar locking rings are, and where they can be found, also. I did a google search, but I came up with a male chastity device web site, and I could look no further....

Wow, it sounds to me like the search engines are working overtime with some of these .. uhh... more unusual requests...

Coleman Racing makes a split collar that has extended "ears" on them. These ears have threaded holes to allow mounting of other things. In the attached photo, the collars are the gold anodized pieces. I have some seat back braces bolted to the bottom "ear". You can also see the other threaded hole in the top of the collar. Consequently these split collars perform a dual purpose in this car: keep the belts together and brace the seat back.

Coleman deals mostly with circle track parts. All parts are excellent quality. Coleman can also provide custom brake rotors to your specs. Their catalog would be a good addition to any garage library.

Doug B
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2005, 05:43 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. The other issue I have found is the alignment from the horizontal bar where the belts attach to to the holes in the seats to the top of my shoulders seems fine...until you add the 1.5" of the hans device. Now the shoulders are much higher in relation to belt mounting point on the bar. I think as I am in the seat and cinch the belts down it will get better.

Mike
Old 08-19-2005, 06:36 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Note that HANS does not mention the seat in the equation. That is likely on purpose, and they must realize this is a sticky wicket. The 3" recommendation probably should have an asterisk after it. Of course, the seat is going to effect this, and I'm sure they realize that 3" is not always "possible.".
John,

This wicket may not be sticky at all. I have never seen the width of seat holes an issue with HANS. Most seats are 90% standard with 4" as the closest spacing. Even custom made ultrashield seats do 4" spacing even when they know you are using HANS. I have a little neck and my HANS yoke is 6" at the base. The seat spacing is 4" and the harness to the harness bar with 3" maximum space and is about 2" at the camlock. All those angles shape up to a diamond with the HANS yoke at the apex of the small points of the diamond and the seat holes may not be an issue at all since the HANS is the widest point.. Perhaps this is why HANS is silent on this issue. To use their mentality...(just like the "belt slip issue") why engineer a solution to a problem that does not exist? Anyway, I may be completely wrong but that is how I see the belt angles lining up.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:08 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

www.mcmaster.com sells split collar rings, although I'm not sure if they're available in 1.5" size. I bought a couple in 7/8" size for my sway bars. Mine were approx $6 ea. Maybe search on "shaft collar"??
Old 08-19-2005, 07:35 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

McMaster-Carr calls them Two-Piece Clamp-On Shaft Collars. I don't see a way to get the URL for the page with these guys, but it looks like page 1035 at http://www.mcmaster.com/. I think Schroth suggests using SFI tube padding, held in place by hose clamps, just as John suggests, but I like these collars. They will NOT move if properly sized, and they look good. I really don't need padding on my bar, so far as I can tell.
You mean like this?

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PS...MMainWidth=722

In case you care: If you use Firefox (or similar Mozilla product) you can right-click a Frame page and "This Frame -> Show Only this Frame" (and the like). Safari has a similar notion.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Here is a detailed description of how the belts are to be mounted: http://www.fiainstitute.com/documents/HANS_Guide.pdf.

If your seat spreads the belts wider, you need to chop up your seat.

Quick Reply: Using Hans device