Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE at Daytona ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005 | 04:05 PM
tlark
Drifting

Terry, (C4Guy) would you post when this is official and the dates are set. For me, this will take some extended planning depending on what time of year this is coming from the mid-west. TIA
Old 08-20-2005 | 08:54 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Default new course daytona layout

This looks pretty good! sure will slow the bus stop, but still get Nascar 3 and 4. yippie!

Terminal Velocity on most cars there. BALANCE EVERYTHING!

T1 braking is always tricky, no ref pts.... like t17

Anyone run there since they re-did T4 tunnel? should be much smoother.

the Scca School just uses the infield and turns right at nascar T1 back to infield on bottom of oval. basicly short and slow course.

Good thing at daytona was in most places IF you'd go off, there was a lot of room. on the infield anyway.

BTW the blue shirt security guards at the track, are sworn officers with arrest powers... they take their job V e r y seriouly lol.. Hope we get the good garages.... the old ones were very cool. new ones must be awesome.
Old 08-20-2005 | 09:09 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I have a trade association convention that will be on a cruise ship out of Miami from Jan 20th to 23rd. I have been looking for an event the week before or the week after in either FL or GA since we northern guys dont usually get seat time between December and April. (The last event for my region is early November) Car would trailer down just as easy as driving down without it. So if this DE comes off and I can get in this would make the trip to FL worth the effort. If any one knows of any other events that are planned for the 2nd half of Jan in FL or GA I would appreciate a heads up.
Old 08-21-2005 | 08:41 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Brian_77_3.6, check suncoast and goldcoast PCA region web sites.
typically suncoast runs a DE at sebring (long) new years weekend (aka: hangover DE)

goldcoast runs one the weekend after (typically) at moroso (WPB). not sure either is posted yet.

you could also look for PBOC florida, chin motorsports or nasa florda on the web.... they maybe running Robeling or Homestead.

bingo:
http://www.pbocflorida.com/2006_calendar.htm

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 08-21-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-21-2005 | 08:44 PM
Bill935K3
Racer

Default DE on Daytona banking??

Hi Everyone,
Caught this threat kind of late;
I ran Rennsport II and man Daytona is a blast I would do a club race there in a New York minute BUT. With one event there I’m sure no expert but I would be extremely concerned about a DE and seriously concerned about a club race using NASCAR 3-4 from the exit of the bus-stop on the back strait because….
I had watched several pro races where 911 cars (GT3RSR’s at the time) have RR tire troubles. Prior to the Rennsport II event I made a lot of calls to teams that ran there IE setup. Here a summary of what I learned.
A, Most “race cars” need stiffer springs than they usually use to run the banking or the car will bottom to the fame on the banking between air/down force and centrifugal force. (fyi; the bus stop on the back strait is BIG and FAST a very fast 4th gear corner for me and I was in 5th and flat before the entry to NASCAR 3, at the exit if 4 I ran out of revs. 7100 in 5th (rev limiter set to 7200) 184 MPH and held that through tri-oval to braking for infield) Lots Porsche street cars will be 150 MPH +
B, because of spring compression “camber gain” is a major issue for several types of cars in the banking. We were lucky and hit the right setting for the RR -1.0 degrees and tire temps were perfect for us. In my opinion you MUST have a special setup for Daytona and the banking. A RSR type race car parked near us ran his standard -3.3 RR and blew a tire on lap 5 of a session. Luckily he was on the banking and spun down with moderate damage to his front valance. If it was on the exit of turn 4 ??? The guy packed up and left one 150 spin was enough for him.
C. We reduced rear wing too much. I run a twin element 48” wide. On advice we removed the top element, put small end plates on it and ran a slight angle. First time though the tri-oval over 180 WOW. The reduced air on the back really made the front dig into the transition to that banking entering the Tri-Oval section and the back stepped out. We put the 2nd element back on and flattened it out. Drove though there so comfortable after that this section was where I would chat on the radio.
D. We ran 1 compound harder on the fronts and left rear and 2 compounds harder (the hardest) on the RR. As it turned out we could have done away with the special RR due to are setup being good. We were advised by our tire supplier and did check our “shoulder” temps as well as the usual spots after our first two (2) laps at full speed.
Everyone did a really good job at Rennsport II but remember this was not a really competitive event and most of the sessions were only around 5-8 laps. I think we could have a great major club race event at Daytona but there should be technical bulletins sent to all entries and a mandatory ‘test and tune” day with plenty of tire and setup help available. Lastly I would wonder at the wisdom of Stock class cars running with just a roll bar/

Last edited by Bill935K3; 08-21-2005 at 08:47 PM. Reason: claity of location
Old 08-21-2005 | 09:28 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by APKhaos
We ran it in the full road course configuration. The track map above is a shortened version.
Any chance you kind find a track map that shows the layout your describing?

While we're on the subject - someone post some Daytona video!
Old 08-21-2005 | 09:49 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Thanks mrbillfll. I will keep an eye on all those organizations web sights and keep my fingers crossed that I can come up with a DE or open lapping day that fits my schedule.

Wonder if the issues with the banking at Daytona could be overcome for a DE by restricting cars to the bottom only. Not the proper way to drive those corners but it would eliminate some issues.
Old 08-21-2005 | 11:01 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4 Guy
Any chance you kind find a track map that shows the layout your describing?

While we're on the subject - someone post some Daytona video!
Terry,
You have PM. There is a link to video in my second post on the first page of thid thread.

Bill makes a very good point folks. My E Stock 951 handled it nicely, but a hot driver in a cup car [and others] could easily find themselves in the danger zone that Bill describes. Careful briefing and preparation are required.

Aside from being blindingly fast, the banking is much rougher than it looks. You are being tossed around quite a bit, which might cause its own problems.

The more I think about this, and the fact that you are planning a DE, the more Daytona-specific preparation [and education] seems to be essential. As Bill righly says, this is not just another road course.
Old 08-22-2005 | 02:10 AM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
I’m sure no expert but I would be extremely concerned about a DE and seriously concerned about a club race using NASCAR 3-4 from the exit of the bus-stop on the back strait because/

Valid concerns for sure. With respect to the DE I would suggest that mph be limited on turn 3-4 to prevent problems with bottoming out or significant wear/side loading. I'm far from an expert w/tire, however 100-120mph max on the banking would be acceptable to most (excluding a PCA race of course). A cone at say the exit of 4 that you can open it back up again until you come into the road course would be fine and would allow for an ample passing zone too.

Someone mentioned running on the flat apron of 3-4. Not interested if that was part of this event, if you've done Daytona before, part of the allure is the banking and whats the point if you take it away. More tire wear on the apron at those speeds too, your actually better off on the banking with limited speeds IMO. In addition, the tire engineers at Michelin, Pirelli and the like will know what you can do. It doesn't have to be at the limits on the banking and safe tolerances can be determined. I would also suspect that a submission of your equipment before acceptance is a must, restraint systems, Hans device perhaps, certain approved tires and spring rates for specific cars and a proper experience level.
Old 08-22-2005 | 01:16 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Terry, I need a better track map with turn numbers to describe the old road course (24hrs course).

basiclly from road course T1 to the 180 degree Rt are the same (think thats t4), then infield track stays left (on posted map) until a 270degree (aprox) left to enter Nascar T1.

The exit from T7 ? (infield) to nascar T1 was exciting, but then it was just building up speed until the bus stop braking zone. the exciting part was braking into bus stop, and back on gas, without going off in middle of bus stop. (drivers left), then the exit into Nascar T3.

I saw a photo from SCCA (CFR), the turn 4 tunnel was re-done as was that section of track... hopefully smoother now. (the photo was from the cover of the 'Checker' and the track was MISSING in that area..) also garage construction and the old 'hangar garages' are now history.

-any run there since the remod?

OH YEAH, you RACERS should know, T&S Start / Finish was not at the line in front of the pits, but after the T1 left hander, in front of the 2 story grey (blue?) T&S building...

U have to stay on gas after checker until t/s line for qualifying laps... but race does end at S/F line... -watch out for that!

-get clarification on s/f line in qualifying and race!!!! as laps are in 3 min range, loosing a lap is a big deal...
Old 09-12-2005 | 04:54 PM
tlark
Drifting

Terry R. I just PM'd you.

Anyone have any news yet ?
Old 09-12-2005 | 05:56 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

I'm not sure a posted speed limit on the banking will work because we all don't drive at the speed limits.
Old 09-12-2005 | 06:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

While I understand that Daytona is not to be compared to any other tracks lest the God's be upset!!! What is the big deal with the concerns. Other NASCAR banked tracks (I realize they vary) allow many DEs, which are run very successfully. Or, is this as much to continue the "Oh My God" myth?
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:00 PM
James Achard
Pro

Actually, there is a new 1.68 mile road course that we use at Skip Barber. I have attached the link below. Maybe this is what they plan on using.

Cheers, James

http://www.skipbarber.com/locations/...a_raceway.aspx
Old 09-12-2005 | 09:18 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZBlue996Kam
I'm not sure a posted speed limit on the banking will work because we all don't drive at the speed limits.
A stationary radar gun works wonders and so does a black flag !!!

Quick Reply: DE at Daytona ?