Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's your favorite DE Promoter in California?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Who's your favorite DE Promoter in California?

Out of the half a dozen promoters who put on DE events in California (mostly northern) who do you like to run with best????

What do you like about how they organize and run their events?

What are your favorite tracks to Run?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking In my humble opinion.....

I have always heard good things about the Golden Gate Region of PCA. They have some great events...I ran Infineon with them years ago. They are very safety conscious (This is good) and they want their drivers to be well trained. There are other clubs up there...I don't know them personallly si I will reserve any comment.

Tracqust runs events in NoCal...they too are very safety conscious. Safety for their drivers is their #1 concern! You can get an instructor to ride with you every session...and you can ride with the instructors during their run sessions. Out of control and erratic drivers are given one (1) chance to calm down...and if that doesn't work, they are asked to leave. I have instructed for 4 TracQuest events, 1 at Infineon, 2 at WSIR and 1 at Buttonwillow.

My advice...before you do Big Track events, get your feet wet in autocross. Speeds are much lower, the consequences of a mistake fairly minimal and the investment in safety equipment minimal. Get Hank Watt's Book, Secrets of Solo Racing: Expert Techniques for Autocrossing and Time Trials (Paperback) by Henry A. Watts. Hank is a NoCal guy...I think is is associated with the PRC (The Porsche Racing Club).

Read Hank's book, and read it again. If you intend to do big track events in NoCal such as Thunder Hill, Sears, Laguna Seca, get the safety equipment regardless of whom you run with:
1. Roll bar,
2. Race seats where the shoulder harnesses thread through the seat. You can always put the seats in just for track days,
3. 5 or 6 point harnesses
4. Snell approved full face helmet
5. Fire extinguisher.

These are all the items you are going to have to purchase to do a Time Trial with PCA GGR and or Porsche Owners Club (POC). POC runs Laguna Seca this month and Thunder Hill in October. http://www.porscheownersclub.org Note you will need a special license to run with POC. You have to do a one day school and 3 events at the Streets of Willow, their home track for their Short Track Series. This would be worth the drive from Napa.

Good luck with your driving (Read Hank's book!)
Old 08-03-2005, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,638 Likes on 2,319 Posts

come to tracquest. 9/13-14 sunday and monday at thunderhill. you will have a lot of fun.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make that 8/14-8/15 mooty.....
Old 08-03-2005, 01:55 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Get Hank Watt's Book, Secrets of Solo Racing: Expert Techniques for Autocrossing and Time Trials (Paperback) by Henry A. Watts.

After you get the book, you can sit in Hank Watts' classroom with about ten other guys and drive with him out on the racetrack. He's the chief instructor for a great northern Californian group: Northern California Racing Club. They also run time trials and (in conjunction with ARC) wheel-to-wheel races. Their last event was last weekend, and me and a friend drove our 911's 500 miles north to attend it. We had a blast.

Their next event is September 30 and October 1, at Thunderhill.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:43 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Eric,
My $. 02.....

If you're just starting with instruction and DE's, go to a small track environment rather a large, fast track like Laguna. You'll have much more time to learn and absorb all the lessions you'll be subjected to. I think that's why the POC short track school is so effective. In performance driving it's all about seat time, and you learn more if you take the steps incrementally.

BTW, POC is holding their semi-annual driving school at Streets of Willow on Saturday, September10th. Sunday the 11th is a regular DE event so you No Cal guys & gals could participate in the school Sat., and drive in the DE Sunday all on that great short track. You won't be disappointed!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,638 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Make that 8/14-8/15 mooty.....
_________
LOL, i was thinking about the "bonus" track days wife allowed on my birthday.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking I agree with John Gordon...

The POC driving school on Saturday is good...follow up with the event on Sunday where you'll drive in the Yellow student group...you will peg your fun meter.

Inn at Lancaster is cheap....grub is good and great camaraderie amongst the drivers. The event is less than $150 a day.

Sitting in a classroom with Hank Watts...that would be a treat. Hank is truly a legend in his time.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:09 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

Maximum exposure, minimum cost award: Golden Gate Lotus Club - lots of racer types seem to run w/ them to sort their cars or practice.

Friendliest Award w/ P-car centric instruction: LPR's Coastal Driving School - like hanging out w/ family. Less competitive environment than GGR. Hi fun factor. Another Hank run operation.

Best club to introduce your disinterested partner to a HPDE: Audi Club, Golden Gate Chapter - hosts a great dinner w/ auction, 1/2 day car control clinic for newbies. Cars look prepped for a concours event rather than a track event. This is where I'll bring my kids when the're ready to be introduced to the track.

Best mix of street machines: Northern California Racing Club - lots of driving here too, as you can run in your own group and the run group below you. TTing is fun and you get an entire 20-25min session to establish you best time.

(I obviously have a NorCal bias)
Old 08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Spelling typo in previous post...those of us from San...

Luis Obispo county and south, call the upper part of the great state of Cali, NoCal...never NorCal. You can thank Jim Rome of the Jim Rome show for this...its not my invention.

SoCal Man
Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

And then there are those from down south who say Frisco. I like to just refer to it as The City.

Hey guys, Thanks for the input. I have only run with a couple of groups @ DE events and am definately interested in what else was out there. Also helps me to find more available track dates that work for me.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

Sheesh. OK. Lived in "Cali" - does that really means Northern California? - for 40+ years and never knew not to call Northern California "Norcal." Cheers.

NoCal guy
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Hhmmmmm... Why don't Y'all just call it the...

LEFT COAST ???

Todd at TracQuest.... puts on good events. Shorter tracks (fewer corners) with less speed, are better for the Newbe's. Too many things to remember on some of the longer tracks.

Quick Reply: Who's your favorite DE Promoter in California?