Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOTON TUNING

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005 | 02:32 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Default MOTON TUNING

Just finishing installing a set of Moton Club Sports on my 89 951. I have also put in the Kelley Moss rear end (torsion bar elimination setup). I had Bilstein Cup coil overs and torsion bars with Delrin bushings prior.

I will get it out on the track in 2 weeks. My question is, I am wondering how much adjusting I will have to do to find the ideal adjustments on the shocks. I am running 600#front and 500#rear. I dont imagine I will need to adjust the sway bars any, but will I? What handeling characteristics should I be looking out for and what adjustments would one make for them. etc etc?

I am sure someone out there has been in my position. Please share any of your experience.

Thanks in advance.
Rich
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:53 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

The shocks will help with corner entry and or exit....under or over steer as you like ..you adjust with rebound...

the sway bars will help with steady state cornering...that is when the weight transfer is done.

Yes it will take some track time to sort out but it's not difficult ...practice ....go slow with the changes...One at a time....the more you practice the better you will understand.
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:55 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Rich,
I went through a similar situation earlier this year when I installed my club sports.

The Moton website has some good information in an Abobe file:

http://www.demo.forcez.nl/moton/v2/i...ustomersupport

I followed this procedure and had everything reasonably tuned in a couple of sessions. I think the document suggests disconnecting the sway bars, which may be difficult depending on which models you have.

My guess is that you'll have steady-state understeer with those spring rates. Most people I've talked to use higher rear springs than fronts when running non-functional t-bars.
Old 08-01-2005 | 04:37 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Jerome
Thanks for that link. I will check it out. If I'm dialed in, in a couple of sessions as you say I would be very happy. I can pretty easily disconnect the sways if that is the procedure. I am also gonna call my mechanic now in regard to those spring rates.
Thanks again
Rich
Old 08-01-2005 | 04:54 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Z06 you state over/under steer is adjusted by rebound, compression adjustments will effect...(what)?

Jerome spoke with my shop they say 600#fr 500# rear sould be the ticket. Weight about 2565lbs with driver and fuel. Didnt see any mention of disconnecting the sways to dial in shocks.
Old 08-02-2005 | 08:23 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Rich, at that weight, my spring recommendations are worthless. My car is stock weight so need a heavier spring.

I may have seen the mention of disconnecting sways somewhere else (Carrol Smith's book or Neil Wright's tuning guide, maybe). The benefit is you take another variable out of the equation when dialing in the shocks. When you're dialing them in, your're not worried about balance of the car, but rather wheel contact with the road and car oscillations. Since the sways can impact this, it's better to disconnect them.

Ask your organizing group if you can run a few laps with another class occasionally. Since you'll run 2 laps to get a feel of the car, come in to make a 1 click adjustment, run 2 laps to feel the car, make 1 click, etc., it may take you a day to dial them in if you can only do so in your run group. Doing all of this back-to-back really allows you to feel the difference that an adjustment makes.
Old 08-02-2005 | 03:16 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Disclaimers: I have no experience with Motons and I am certainly not a supension engineer or authority of any sort.

I will say that my research has indicated that most people with 944s running torsion bar delete run a heavier rear spring than the front spring. My research indicates that most people run between 15% and 35% heavier in the rear.

By the way, what coil springs were you using with your torsion bar setup? That should help you find appropriate springs for your torsion bar delete setup as we can subtract the spring rate of the torsions.
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:58 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

I run a 968 3086# and am curre3ntly running 500 f and 550 r. I should have run 600 or so in the rear. Most guys run more rear spring relative to the front at least in the 968. These cars have a tendency to understeer with stock rates thus the heavier rear rates.

Mike

Quick Reply: MOTON TUNING