Sponsored by:

HAHNS and DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005 | 01:34 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I don't think that I would instruct someone with a car like that. If they have enough money to buy a Cobra, then they have enought money to buy a "learners car" to properly develop their skills on, and then get into the Cobra when they have enough training to do so on their own. My $.02

...fortunately it was more of a 'check ride' as they were both experienced but just not with that club... ..my 'student' was bumped in my run group in the afternoon and was passing me.. What made it acceptable for both of us is that both drivers understood how we felt and took it easy while we were in the passenger seat... ...and we were able to sign them off after the 2nd session...
Old 08-01-2005 | 01:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I don't think that I would instruct someone with a car like that. If they have enough money to buy a Cobra, then they have enought money to buy a "learners car" to properly develop their skills on, and then get into the Cobra when they have enough training to do so on their own. My $.02
I couldn't agree more.

The question that was asked here was about a student with a H&N restraint when the isntructor didn't have one, not when an instructor couldn't wear theirs in the car which I think is another story entirely.

Actually, if I saw a student with a H&N restraint and an instructor without one (assuming the passenger seat a proper race seat with proper race belts) I'd think the student was smarter than the instructor.
Old 08-01-2005 | 01:48 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

not all instructors out there have invested in a HANS (not yet anyway)... I think in a few years we will see more and more HANS out there IMHO... eventually NASA and SCCA and PCA will make it a requirement I'm sure.... as it is, in our region, you cannot run group III (advanced) -- red group I think if I remember right... without roll bar and 5 or 6 point belts.... soon the HANS will be required as well I'm sure...
Old 08-01-2005 | 01:53 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ceboyd
my other half also was instructing a Cobra driver and in his case, he didn't even have a roll bar on his side
Reminds of a boxster I was behind a few months ago. Top down (it was a nice day), with driver and passengers helmet sticking a few inches above the rollbar. The only thing I could think of when driving behind them was, if they go off, I hope they go off straight.
Old 08-01-2005 | 02:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Our rules say that the instructor will be provided the same level of safety as the student. I have been involved in motorsports for over 30 years and the only injury that I have seen from fire, was a backfire through the stacks on a CanAm car that burned the mechanic. Sudden stops and high instantaneous g-loads are a much more frequent occurence.

I had originally believed that DE was all about taking your street car to the track and learning how to drive. The instructor corps is all volunteer with very little pay involve - maybe a discount on event entry, free entry, free lunch. Everyone participates to the level they can. Unless all instructors purchase Hahns devices or don't worry about it, the task of assigning students to appropriate instructors will become even more daunting.
The CVR rules are the same, but it doesn't apply to suits, nomex, neck padding. or HANs devices. It applies to seats and harnesses and should be strictly enforced. The thought of assigning an instructor based on his use of a HANs device makes as much sense as matching him up with a student wearing the same amount of Nomex and same grade racing suit.

Just my opinion of course!
Old 08-01-2005 | 02:55 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Lots of opinions here. It was not purpose to present an opinion, but to gather data and I appreciate the opinions. In my tenure as CI, I have attempted to collect data so that I can make more informed decisions, which I hope will result in less changes during the event. From my perspective the HANS is personal equipment that is also part of the restraint system. From my unscientific observations, the impact (without rollover) incidents far out number roll-over incidents which far out number fires. If an instructor tells me they will not instruct in a Boxster or cabriolet, I have to respect that.

With regard to the comment about not instructing in a particular car, there are a number of us on this board that instruct for BSR, and have developed our survival skills because of some personal observations. The Cobra replica or Viper that lines up first on the grid will be the last car with an instructor in the right seat.
Old 08-01-2005 | 02:56 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

So, who has the best price on the devices? I've seen the economy (heavy) model for as little as $865, anyone know where I can get it for less. And yes, I'm getting one, I just want the best price. For now it will be used for DE's and hopefully racing in the future.
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:02 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Cris Brady]As an instructor I would be glad to see a student with a HANS. To me, that says here's somebody who thought hard about safety and has made a significant economic decision to put his money toward safety. As opposed to more go-fast parts. And that attitude should carry over to his/her demeanor and/or willingness to listen on the track.

- Cris
=QUOTE]
Well said, put me down for the same. No, I will not get in a car that has all the latest safe stuff in the left seat and a stock no headrest seat from 1967 with an age hardened lap belt but I will use the amount of gear I feel is needed and the student can use more if he/she likes. I would not get into the above car regardless of the left seat systems.

Potomac tech form requires same type gear right to left but does not delve into personal gear other than cotton clothing and SA helmets.

Would a student feel diferent if an instructor hopped into his/her car with one of the self contained systems?

Last edited by kurt M; 08-01-2005 at 04:12 PM. Reason: addition info
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:14 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm pretty sure the HANS is price regulated and the same price anywhere..... the only savings is location and tax vs. shipping cost... in my case, shipping was cheaper than tax so I opted to get one shipped to me right from hans in Atlanta. ...I think ogracing (site sponsor) has free shipping now for any order over $150.. so I would have gone that route had I known when I got mine...
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:57 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

You may want to keep an eye on this site: headrestraint.org

[Edit to fix link. Sorry.]

Last edited by gbaker; 08-01-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2005 | 04:01 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbaker
You may want to keep an eye on this site: headrestraint.org

The link is broken. It goes to "headrestraints.org". Try this: headrestraint.org
Old 08-01-2005 | 04:12 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

My ISAAC has been ordered and I await its arrival before my next DE at Sebring...
Old 08-01-2005 | 04:13 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmw44
My ISAAC has been ordered and I await its arrival before my next DE at Sebring...
I did too, and I am also patiently waiting.
Old 08-01-2005 | 04:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by kurt M

...I will use the amount of gear I feel is needed and the student can use more if he/she likes.
This is really a good statement. I may be in the minority, but I really don't like the equal restraint rule. If feel it mean some folks won't get better equipment because they would have to do it to both sides.

... In 95% of cases I am out with novice students or those that still new. Some may come from autocross or have 2-3 days a year. For the most part I am fine with stock seats and belts in most 80's and newer cars. As long as the stuff on my side is sound I don't car if the driver wants a harness and I don't have one. I don't care if the driver has racing seat and I don't. As long as I feel safe with my level of safety gear I don't care of the driver has more.

... flame away if you want.

PS... I have never felt comfortable in a Cab of any type and typicaly don't instruct them. I have always been ok in Boxster, but I am not that tall and my helmet is under the hoop.
Old 08-01-2005 | 05:20 PM
tlark
Drifting

Its personal as individuals to us that DE. I wouldn't have a problem with wearing a HANS b/c I know what my abilities are and its been considered. The use of good judgement after loosing two friends over a decade ago while racing is whats most considered in my case. I'm not passing judgement on anyone or the happening at WGI this past weekend but a driver must know their abilities and/or the saftey of their car, being aware of danger spots on certain tracks and the like. If you run at place like RA, WGI & R-Atlanta you had better have your $h!+ together mentally and the saftey stuff together as well or you stand a greater chance of getting hurt IMO if you screw up. If you don't have all your bases covered as far as saftey you better plant that in your mind when pushing up to 9/10ths and remember where your at on these tracks and where your at in your learning curve.

Quick Reply: HAHNS and DE