Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've spent all my fun money, I haven't started my car, and I still can't drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've spent all my fun money, I haven't started my car, and I still can't drive

I just got my bill from my shop, and I now have officially spent more "preparing" my car than I spent on the car itself (I am not complaining about my shop). No HP mods, only safety/reliability modifications (installation of seats, harnesses, fire supression system, accusump, boxed a-frames, etc. . . .).

My new car has broken down twice since I bought it, and I have yet to even hear it running myself let alone drive it around the street before my first track event this weekend at a new track (Shenandoah).

My new car has less than half the HP of my former car.

I still can't drive my way out of a paper bag, and my wife is already pissed at me about this addiction, not to mention my mother-in-law.

Even if I do learn how to drive well, I most likely will only ever win a plastic trophy for my efforts.

Yet, I remain optimistic and inexplicably happy.

I have only one question: Am I making a good first step towards HWFMR membership?

Can I drove your car?

Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

It'll all seem worth it when you're on the track.
Next step is to update your sig. with a pic of the 944.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Ahhh, the joys of racing.... Just wait until you start buying Hoosiers that last one weekend!!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

In club racing, you're lucky to get a plastic trophy.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I still can't drive my way out of a paper bag, and my wife is already pissed at me about this addiction, not to mention my mother-in-law.
Well, at least you see something good in all this. Glad to hear that your wife is pissed at your mother-in-law. At least you both are on the same page.

That is what you meant, right?

-Z.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:34 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But just wait till you crawl up some 911's butt corner after corner- payback! Oh yeah - then you reach a straight, and he's gone, but hey, it was fun for a moment<G>. Just kidding - enjoy that thing. And remember- you'll _never_ be slower that me!
Alan
Old 07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

"I now have officially spent more "preparing" my car than I spent on the car itself "

yeah, that ship left the harbor a long time ago. Wait until you spend a load of $$$ and your lap time gets slower...yup, that's a priceless credit card commercial moment
Old 07-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Ok, here's my story:

Last year, I cracked the head on my 16-valve 944S2, most likely due to the track use.

$5500.00 later, I'm back to square one. No performance improvement whatsoever. But I now have a head that's cracked that Porsche doesn't want (due to the location of the crack) that is waiting to be turned into a coffee table...

-Z.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Geo
Race Director

Your wife is pissed at your mother-in-law?

Can I drove your car?

Can't drive my car. I've spent 10x (at least - I refuse to add up the receipts) what I paid for it and it doesn't run either.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
In club racing, you're lucky to get a plastic trophy.
Shoot, when I finally earned one I was so shocked/happy that I plum forgot about picking it up!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:19 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

TD, you think it's expensive now, wait until you actually start driving it......

Wait until the performance bug bites. You can easily drop the price of the car in a new suspension, and again in engine work....
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

TC,
We talked via PM. I already figured it out, and I haven't even gotten out of the joint. Interviewing with tons firms from DC and a few from NYC by the way. Still looking at DC cause it will be more sports car friendly i think. Either that or cali. We'll see. More question/answer sessions to come I am sure.... :rofl:

Quick Reply: I've spent all my fun money, I haven't started my car, and I still can't drive