Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in new RA-1's - At autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breaking in new RA-1's - At autocross?

As the title suggests - it is ok to 'break in' a set of R-compounds (Toyo Proxes RA-1's in my case) at an autox event, or is that not wise?

I've never really done the 'proper' procedure of running the tires at a session, taking them off, letting them rest for a day...etc. Even without doing such things, I've managed to do 18 DE days and a handful of autocrosses with my RA-1's before the chords were showing.

So is taking my brand new RA-1's to an autox a good or bad idea? It will get them 'scuffed up' for my upcoming DE event at the Glen. But do you think that autocrossing them is too harsh a thing to do with a brand new (not shaved) tire?

Thanks,
-Z.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my shaved RA-1s I put them on and go. There's no need to heat cyle the RA-1 because the compound doesn't gain all that much from it.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gort - I've never heat cycled RA-1's before use, but I usually run 4/32 shaved without issues. Full tread will give you a lot of tread squirm particularly in that environment. You might chunk them up, especially if you're running on a concrete surface.

My vote is that it's not the best idea.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never had my RA-1 heat cycled, but typically do it myself. Really I think you will befine autocrossing on them. Don't expect them to have any grip however.

I have noticed that shaved or not they are pretty darn slick on their first heat cycle. They are better on their 2-6 (10th if not shaved). Then after this they get quite good on the track. For racing I shave them to 4/32 and run the new tires in practiced until they begin to grip well. Usally by them my raceing set are on their last legs and once those are done the new ones become race tires. Shortly after I get a new set and start the cycle over.

Now on think I have not done is autcross on RA-1's. I do feel that the tires will be just fine, but may not be any better for track after this use.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Thanks for the advise guys.

Yes, the RA-1's aren't the best tire for AX - but my setup is more biased towards DE's.

But now that I have plenty of spare wheels lying around, I may just get a set of 710's for next season...

-Z.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For more fun, you can do what this knucklehead did...

TRIED RA-1 IN THE REAR, HATED IT
Old 07-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
For more fun, you can do what this knucklehead did...

TRIED RA-1 IN THE REAR, HATED IT
Apparently, a certain S2000 owner doesn't understand the concept of understeer and how it can be attained!

At least he didn't do the opposite! We once had a Jetta own put R's on the front and street tires on the rear. Wanted to experience that "Mad drift-yo" type of driving at an autocross.

Well, he drifted......

.....right off the course.....

....and right into a dumpster!

-Z.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Z, you're going to need hoosiers and a 2500lbs weight redux kit to take down what I'm planning on bringing on the 8th. Just have to confirm transporation plans...the racecar is comin to town.

drifting RuLeZ!!!

ahem

back to the subject at hand

No experience with the Toyo's, but I know for the hoosiers you are supposed to scrub them in at 8 or 9/10's (no sliding) until they are up to temp, then take them off quickly after doing this and put them on their side. From what I've read, this produces a long consistent life. Although, Hoosiers are heat cycle limited (theoretically that is...we run em to the cords) while your Toyos appear to be tread limited.

By that logic, I would say go for it but keep an eye on em after each run. If you start to notice chunking, best to pull em off and throw on one of your other many sets of tires.

Don't do it for the good of the tires...but if you have no other R's...go for it.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

I broke in a set of RA-1's at an autox early this year. I did not get any chunking at all, just a little wear on some of the tread blocks (very faint) and these were full tread tires. The tires have lasted all season including 2 trips to Mid-OH this year. Just last weekend at BeaveRun I noticed that I got cords to show on two of my rears. This could have been avoided though I think by flipping the tires on the rim in between Mid-OH events instead of running both Mid-OH's and then flipping them.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:14 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

TJ:

how many heat cycles did you end-up getting?

Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

I was around 42 on those. They were definitely not heat cycled out yet though, just ran out of tread on one side on two of the tires, the other two are pretty thin on one side as well, probably got one weekend out of them left.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Darth Coupe
This could have been avoided though I think by flipping the tires on the rim in between Mid-OH events instead of running both Mid-OH's and then flipping them.
I flipped my tires on the rims after about 10 DE days. That's a big contributting factor as to how I was able to get 18 DE days out of them.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll be breaking them in at this Saturday's AX. They may not be as fast as my really, really worn down RA-1's, but then I won't have to worry about them at The Glen DE laster this month!!

-Z.

Quick Reply: Breaking in new RA-1's - At autocross?