Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Pueblo for the first time....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:05 AM
Mugs914
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Pueblo for the first time....

...with a couple of buddies for the PCA race in September. Does anyone have any hints or tips for that track?

Oh come on... we promise not to use them against YOU...

Well, okay then...how about any hints or tips for a good restaurant?

Cheers!

Mike
Old 07-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Jess
Instructor

Mike,

Glad to hear that you're making the trek out here. It's a fun race both on and off the track!

Pueblo is a pretty easy track to learn. Except for turn five, there is little elevation change. It is a very safe track with the important exception of turn ten which leads onto the dragstrip portion of the track. Don't mess around with ten! Many racers and even DEers have found themselves bouncing off the concrete walls of dragstrip by running out of room on the exit of ten. Take it late and you'll be fine. Also, there is a metal plate right in the middle of dragstrip at turn ten (cover for the Christmas tree hookup) that should be avoided by stradling it.

What kind of cars will you and your friends be driving, what class are you guys in. I won't give you too much info if you're in F.

As far as restaurants go, well, this is Pueblo after all. Actually there are a few decent ones there but I don't know the names.

Definitely look me up when you get there and I'll find out the names as well as talk you through the track or take you out for a DE session if you come out on Friday.

See you in Sept,

Jess Wurmbrand
Yellow 101 F stock 911
Old 07-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Mugs914
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jess
Mike,

Glad to hear that you're making the trek out here. It's a fun race both on and off the track!

Pueblo is a pretty easy track to learn. Except for turn five, there is little elevation change. It is a very safe track with the important exception of turn ten which leads onto the dragstrip portion of the track. Don't mess around with ten! Many racers and even DEers have found themselves bouncing off the concrete walls of dragstrip by running out of room on the exit of ten. Take it late and you'll be fine. Also, there is a metal plate right in the middle of dragstrip at turn ten (cover for the Christmas tree hookup) that should be avoided by stradling it.

What kind of cars will you and your friends be driving, what class are you guys in. I won't give you too much info if you're in F.
Ha ha! No, no-one in F. We'll have one 944 turbo S running in E and either a GT-1 look-alike running in GTP-3 (Ron Mistak's red "914") or a GT4r vintage 914. I doubt my car will be ready by then, so I'll most likely be running the 944 in the DE and "crew-chiefing" the other cars.

As far as restaurants go, well, this is Pueblo after all. Actually there are a few decent ones there but I don't know the names.

Definitely look me up when you get there and I'll find out the names as well as talk you through the track or take you out for a DE session if you come out on Friday.

See you in Sept,

Jess Wurmbrand
Yellow 101 F stock 911
Can't wait! I'll surely look you up when we arrive. New track, new friends. That's what it's about, after all...

Thanks!

Mike
Old 07-23-2005, 05:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Mike,

I'm in LA and will probably go there also. Perhaps we can get a caravan going....I'll know after Laguna in late Aug. with POC.

Hi Jess, I met you at Las Vegas in May. I'm Norman's friend with the TT. I have some pics of you and your friends hanging around the trailers, PM me with your e-address and I'll send them over. You drove a great race that Sunday!

John
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2005, 01:47 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike,

Here are some videos from the PCA race last year: Skip's Videos

Pueblo is a great racing track, and one where knowing a few things goes a long way. Turn 1 scares some people, but the reality is that you can carry a lot of speed through there, and there is quite a bit of racing room. Turn 2 is a fast left-hander, and depending on the car you might not need to lift. Turn 3 is a trickier left-hander, throwing many people off to the right. It's one where slow-in/fast-out works well. Turn 4 is a mini-carousel right, where there is often some bunching up due to the need to slow down. Learn to exit fast, using all the track, for the downhill straight to turn 5.

This is where it gets to be really fun. Turn 5 is an uphill right where you can carry lots of speed, although the surface can upset the car and you don't want to get "thrown" off to the left. At the top of the hill the car will unweight a bit, but it's pretty grippy and not hard as long as you haven't gone too far to the left. Get set up for the 6A to 6B "esses" correctly and you'll realize that it's one big curve where you can go very fast and catch the drivers who think that they have to steer the car through it. Turn 7 is left carousel, with some weird surfaces and typically very slow. The trick there is to get setup for the exit and accelerate hard on the short straight to turn 8.

Turn 8 is a nearly 90 degree right with a nasty curb on the inside. You can get a tire up on it, but be careful as it will upset some cars more than you might think from looking at it. On the outside of 8 there is some dirt/dust if you go off, and the trick there is to drive straight through, even if you can't see through the dust. Many drivers yank the wheel to the right to get back on track and end up shooting off to the left, with ugly results. The short straight from 8 to 9 is fast, and turn 9 (a right) can be used as a good place to pass, as Jess can attest. You can hook your tire on the inside, and if you go off on the exit to the left, keep straight and get on track.

The short straight from 9 to 10 is where some racing can be done, especially when passing lapped traffic. Turn 10 is perhaps the most dangerous as it's a blind right onto the main straight. The control tower blocks the view, and the straight is a drag strip with walls on both sides. There are a variety of surfaces in the turn, including some metal plates and slick areas which are part of the drag strip. You can carry lots of speed through there, although PCA often puts up cones to widen the turn and slow things down. SCCA doesn't to this, and I think that it's safer, but PCA seems to like the "DE line". If you do go off at turn 10, again, keep it straight and ease back on to the track. The worst accidents are from drivers who yank the car back onto the track and ping-pong off the walls.

A final tip is to come to the DE on Friday and get a local instructor to ride with you, if you have a seat. If not, see if you can get a ride in their car, as they'll show you a fast line.

See you there!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Jess
Instructor

John,

Good to hear from you and I'm glad you're planning to attend Pueblo. Thanks for posting that picture of Norman, my dad, and I. I'll send you my email and I'd love to see the rest.

It's always been kind of a regional race so It's wonderful that you guys from CA are planning to come.

See you all in September,

Jess

Quick Reply: Going to Pueblo for the first time....