Sponsored by:

Putnam Park Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Gilhart 54
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putnam Park Club Race

Congrats to all the podium finisher's of the Sprint and Top Gun races. The results are up on the national website.

The rain held out for most of the weekend however with the high humidity you'd have thought it was raining. It was good meeting some Rennlister's for the first time in person and hanging out with fellow PCA'ers and friend's at the track.

Thanks to Dave Schardt and Wheel Source for making some seriously bad-**** wheels for my TT. We are now running the new light-weight 10 spoke Forgeline's and the extra width of the rims combined with our wider front and rear tires were a killer combo.

I was sidelined in the first race after a linkage came loose in my shifter after 3 laps(first time ever). In the reverse order Top Gun Race we managed to race to 4th place after 20 hot, humid laps.

Congrats to the rookie driver's who did a good job racing as well as holding thier lines.

Rick
Old 07-19-2005, 10:55 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Rick:

I saw your car out there and it looked great. What kind of times were you running?

Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 02:03 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick,
It was great meeting you at PP. For all of you that have been lusting over Rick's car online, it looks even better in person. Beautiful!
Jim
Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Rick,
Any videos you could post, especially of the wild start in the sprint race? Your car looked awesome as it was lapping me (a couple times) in the top gun race. Those new wheels are sweet.

Jim,
Congrats on your win, you did a great job!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats to many of the board members that had outstanding races!
Group A topgun
Rookie Mike Ward 3rd
Alan C, 1st in D
Rick Fairweather 3rd in E
Group 3 Sprint
Fast Dave Parker 1st in G and well ahead of many F and GT5S cars
Jim Child 3rd in F
Group 2 Sprint
Jim B 1st in C
Alan C 1st in D
Greg Fishman 3rd in C
Rick Fairweather 3rd in E

Sorry I dont have the results from Group 1 handy

Excellent race weekend and a job well done by the OVR region!!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Gilhart 54
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments, it was good meeting you guy's and thanks to Norm G. who helped find and fix a brake issue.

Mike,

I was running laps in the 1:12's with a best of 1:12.2. The car has more in it and with the newly arrived GT3R wing I should be able to be in the 1:10's. That's still about 2+ seconds more that what Norm would be running at Putnam, oh well 2nd is not all bad.

Jim,

Your car looked and sounded great! Congrats on the win!

Greg,

I do have a good video of the start and will try and get it up by tomorrow. When the pole-sitter missed a gear and checked up Dave Schardt almost tagged him, then I almost tagged him, and so on. I really didn't know anyone else had a problem as when I got around the track everything was clear.

Eric,

Good seeing you again.

Rick
Old 07-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick,
Thanks.
The bright green GT3 cup car behind you guys spun across track and somehow managed not to hit anything. Another orange 911 also had to go into the grass to avoid others.

The race between Dave Schardt and Gene McGillicudy was awesome, Dave did a great job passing Gene's 650 rwhp beast in turn 7 and pulling away from him with three or four laps to go. Gene's car was a rocket on the straights but Dave was faster in the corners.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Jim B, congratulations on your win,...I was out of the country and could'nt make it. The PCA site has your car as an 04, is'nt it a 99 with a 3.6l conversion.
Jeeva
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,
The first three C cars (you, Jeremy and I) were separated by .8 seconds at the finish. That's fun stuff.

Eric,
Good to see you. Running in F looks like a lot of fun.

Rick,
I wish I had a video or picture of our cars running down the straight together on Friday. A shot of our two black 996s from that brief moment we were together before you disappeared would look great on my garage wall.

Jeeva,
In club racing you can "update" your car and keep it in the stock classes. In my case, my chassis is a 1999 but since the drivetrain is newer I run it as a 2004. I picked 2004 because in that year you could order a 3.6L X51 with factory LSD. It will still struggle against 993 RSs which are really street legal race cars but at least it's fast enough to have some fun.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jim,
But it is "funner" when you are in front! I would put your car with equal drivers up against a 993RS ClubSport any day. You got a serious machine and are getting a lot out of it, you have improved immensely in the last couple years.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:58 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was strange being at Putnam Fri & Sat without my car. I had to leave the track Saturday so I was not able to race.

Anyways, it was actually awesome getting to watch our group run.

There was a lot of great and close driving throughout the field.

Too bad for Rick's shifter problem, the car was hooked up and he was driving great.
Oh well, next time :-)

Congrats to all!

Norm
Old 07-21-2005, 11:30 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,
I'm anxious to put my car up against an RS Club Sport with a similar driver. Maybe at RA? As you know, I've put a lot of time, sweat and $$ into making mine competitive. They are very different cars though. Mine should have better aerodynamics, a better chassis and maybe a small hp advantage. The RSCS is much lighter, has bigger brakes and better gearing. I guess time will tell.
Jim

Quick Reply: Putnam Park Club Race