Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, BTW, any more pix?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Oh yes, a spare set of drive belts (not the timing belt - if that goes, replacing the belt will be the least of your worries). They are the devil to find in most towns that host tracks, especially on a sunday. For each car I buy, I purchase new belts, replace, and either stock new ones or keep the removed belt as a spare.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice! OK you 944 guys. Two follow-up questions:

First, which vendor has the best prices for the basics (hoses, belts, coil, etc . . . )?

Second, would you just buy the parts and keep them as spares, or would you put the new parts on now and keep the parts you are replacing as spares?

Thanks,

TD
Old 07-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Geo
Race Director

By and large I just buy all the parts I need from Paragon. Their prices are good, their service is excellent, and they are a Rennlist sponsort and supporter (Skip has been rather quiet the last few months, but typically he's on the forum answering technical questions).
Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Speaking of spares -- is the 944 DME relay the same across the model line? (Can I use a 944 Turbo DME relay on my 944S2?)

944 Fan relay -- same question.

-Z.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:47 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Second, would you just buy the parts and keep them as spares, or would you put the new parts on now and keep the parts you are replacing as spares?
Install the new parts and keep the old ones as spares... Much easier to install parts in your garage instead of at the track. Keep the old ones in case you have a failure, or for that long trip home...

gb
Old 07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

And you will know how to change them and what tools to use having done it once already. Working on you car (at home unhurried) also builds familiarity with the lump under the hood and other systems.

The problem is that cars seem to know what you have on hand and can then plan accordingly. They then break something that you are not ready to deal with. My parts and tool time seems to end up on other cars in the paddock.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
First, which vendor has the best prices for the basics (hoses, belts, coil, etc . . . )?

Thanks,

TD
Paragon Products

Put the fresh parts on and keep the old ones as spares.
95% of parts that will fail on 944 are because of age or normal wear. Replace these and they will not fail at the track. Now if one does fail and you have used spare. Then throw it on. Unless it was in really bad shape it will probably get you throught the event and allow you to go home and fix it right.

Couple things from my list that I forget when I posted in the other forum.
1) Power steering (if still using) and Alternator adjustors. I have seen these things fail many times.
2) Fuel Rail. I have cracked a couple.
3) Fuel injector (1 or 2) Yep i have cracked one of these two

The above parts can be stuff from anyone parting a car as they will much cheaper this way and junk yard parts for these will get you through an event.
Infact while I have replaced these parts I never used a new one.

Also it is a good Idea to inspect the car. I have found many issues that I needed to correct in the mornings when I bleed the brakes. I like to bleed the brakes every track day for a couple reasons.
1) Returns my brakes to the firm feeling I like
2) Forces me to get the car up on jack stands and inspect it on a regular basis.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:51 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 832 Likes on 418 Posts

One half shaft with CVs + triple box socket and a really big breaker bar.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
kary993
Drifting

Motorhome with full air, kitchen, satellite HD tv, trailer, tools, and team to fix any issues Got all but the team....hhhmmmmmm
Old 07-19-2005, 07:29 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Well, it turns out that my idea about stocking up spares parts wasn't so stupid at all . . . I just found out from the shop that my DME went out today . . . and this is before I have ever even started the car.

Now I wonder whether I was just prescient enough to know something was going to go wrong or whether my decision to stock up on parts created a karmic disturbance that led to the failure . . .
Old 07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
John Brown
Instructor

George's comments on cleaning to ensure close inspection can not be overstated. The DME we already discussed; assume you are getting a spare.

About hoses and belts: They are MUCH more durable than even 20 years ago. It is VERY unusual for either to fail unless from age. And, visual inspection is not adequate to determine condition. So, unless there are records to document replacement or inspection clearly shows they are very new; replace them all. If one cooling hose fails anywhere on the car, I replace them all. ALL, as in EVERY, even the ones between the firewall and block that are so hard to get at. And after that I wouldn't worry about spares.

Quick Reply: List of Spare Parts for the Track