Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who don't trailer their cars -- how do you get your tires to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Note to self: don't sit next to Jay at the driver's meeting on Sunday.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a trailer but there is a big problem with them. I blew a head gasket at my last track event. I knew some gracious people at the event. One person trailered my car and another happened to be there spectating with a Dodge Charger with a hitch and he took my tire trailer home. If you break down you not only have to worry about your car but the tire trailer also. Other than that, they are a great convienence. I built mine from a basic Harbor Freight trailer. I'll likely be looking for a truck soon to tow. I drive a 944 Turbo and love it but it's an old car and I drive it very hard. I knew it would happen sooner or later. You may be better off with a roof rack if you have an older car, that way you can get the car and tires home on a tow truck or a trailer if needed.

Mark
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Have had success with hitches on AMG and 911. Fabricate own hitch for 996. PM me for photos and isntructions. Have photo of track trailer (version 1) that has served me well for 2 years. If you ahve any mechanical ability, you can assemble one.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lately I have been flat towing my '76 911. It is great! I just load up the van with all my junk and extra tires, hitch up the car and go. The car tracks great behind and I don't have to wear earplugs!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ed,
HAHAHA!!!! That story is true, except the clothes part. No need to worry, we in NH shower everyday. But shame on you for not wanting to sit next to the guy with the beer.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:27 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

i've done this but it definitely overheats the motor.... not to mention that on a slight hwy incline speed drops down to about 55mph.....

otherwise i'm drag limited to 65

the tracks that are close by, i drive on slicks, and have 1 or 2 spares. one in the trunk, the other on top of it:

for real long distance events, i'd find someone w/ a van/trailer and have them haul them for me (for a case of something cold ) and i'd drive on RA1's, just in case it rains the entire week/event
Old 11-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
the tracks that are close by, i drive on slicks,
So what tires were you running at Shenandoah two weeks ago? I'm curious...

-Z.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:45 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
i've done this but it definitely overheats the motor.... not to mention that on a slight hwy incline speed drops down to about 55mph.....

otherwise i'm drag limited to 65

the tracks that are close by, i drive on slicks, and have 1 or 2 spares. one in the trunk, the other on top of it:

for real long distance events, i'd find someone w/ a van/trailer and have them haul them for me (for a case of something cold ) and i'd drive on RA1's, just in case it rains the entire week/event

Dude, you really need a trailer or something. Doesn't that tire on the hood move around and tear up the paint?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:56 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by Z-man
So what tires were you running at Shenandoah two weeks ago? I'm curious...

-Z.
Z,
I'm running Avon TechR's
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=2
Old 11-08-2005, 04:05 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by sjanes
Dude, you really need a trailer or something. Doesn't that tire on the hood move around and tear up the paint?
LOL, i have a towel under the tire and no, it doesn't even budge. Strapped in fairly snugly. The front-back strap doesn't have to be that tight.... the way it's threaded through the spokes, it will never move back under acceleration, and won't go forward b/c the strap doesn't stretch much. Same for the cross strap. Not sure it would be ok for a rally/track, but if I'm heading to a track, the car is full of stuff anyway so I'm not really pushing in order not to have tools etc. fly around.

Maybe some dirt/sand gets under the towel, but I don't really have a concours car anyway. Among all the dings and scratches, I doubt I would even notice.

It's been labeled ugly too

BTW, i don't think i'd try this mounting w/ a fiberglass hood

Quick Reply: Those who don't trailer their cars -- how do you get your tires to the track?