Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a prepped DE and (eventually) Club Race 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005 | 07:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Default Looking for a prepped DE and (eventually) Club Race 911

Where is the best place to look for a dedicated track car (I need an aluminum trailer also)? I'm meeting with Dan Jacob's ( Hairy Dog / Red Cup Racing ) in a day or so to talk about it, have looked on PCA Mart and Pelican so far and found a few. Really like the look of the RS Replicas but wonder if they are a little "squirrely" compared to SC-based cars.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2005 | 08:01 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Take a look at Jim Newman's US Cup listed in the rennlist classifieds. He has it for a very good price and they are the Sh*t for D class. I raced mine with the stock suspension that came with it for several races and it was fine. Do a track set-up, put in a fire system and throw on a RS America tail or 3.8 tail and you are basically done.
Old 07-10-2005 | 08:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ditto what CarreraCup21 said.
I got my 964 Euro Cup from Jim. A true gentleman....who BTW is also featured in a nice article about Sebring in this month's Pano.
Old 07-10-2005 | 09:02 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Where is the best place to look for a dedicated track car (I need an aluminum trailer also)? I'm meeting with Dan Jacob's ( Hairy Dog / Red Cup Racing ) in a day or so to talk about it, have looked on PCA Mart and Pelican so far and found a few. Really like the look of the RS Replicas but wonder if they are a little "squirrely" compared to SC-based cars.

Thanks!
Gary-

Dan will provide you great advice. Heck, I bought his old 964 Turbo, and I absolutely love it (it's serviced there too btw).

If you want an already done car, try Rennlist, Pelican, or PCA . If you want to build up your own car, try autotrader. If you are going to build up your own car, just fine something in good mechanical shape...don't spend a ton of money on a low mileage car, since you will be tracking it.

A Carerra Cup would obviously be very nice, but you are probably looking at 60+. For something less expensive, I think Wayne was thinking of selling his polar silver 964, which was all built up by Dan (and formerly owned by DrJupeman here on Rennlist).
Old 07-10-2005 | 10:08 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

You can also read about the US Cups here. They are expensive relative to a regular 964 C2 or RSA, but the maintenance is the same. Also I think you will find that it is not uncommon to spend nearly the same money on something else that you have to "build up" to race. When I bought mine last year, I had never been on a track before. 30 or so DE days later I was racing with it. They handle very well and since there are only 45 of them ( probably only 40 left now ), they tend to hold their value well. They are after all, a real RS !! Take a look at what a real 73 RS brings now days.
Old 07-11-2005 | 02:36 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto Dan J... he is very knowlegeable and really knows how to set up a car... he would know a good car from a bad one. Just because a car is "built-up" doesn't mean it was done properly. While it is cheaper to buy a built up car, it is not cheaper to buy one that has to be redone.

Also try PCA Club Racing News Classifieds... its on the PCA Club Racing website.

If budget is a major consideration, an SC or 3.2 Carrara is a very robust car that is relatively easy to set-up and not horribly expensive to maintain. Also G or F Stock are extremely competitive classes so you will get your money's worth. $20-30K should do it.

IF you buy a street car, budget about $10K and 1 year to get it fully sorted for racing. If you are starting with DE only, you can do it in stages to spread the cost. Again, if you work with somebody like Dan through the whole process, he'll make sure you end up with a properly done car.

I'd say start with safety equipment..(seats and belts and cage), then suspension. If you plan to race, go with a full boat racing suspension right out of the box... any compromises you make will just have to be redone in the end. Then Tires and engine (exhaust)

Here's roughtly where I'd suggest you be:

Green: Track brake pads and fluid. Good performance street tires. Track alignment, oil cooler.
Blue: Seats, Belts and Roll Cage
White: Suspension Package, "R" tires
Black/Racing: Exhaust. Extra wheels and tires.

Good Luck
Old 07-11-2005 | 03:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks, you guys are the best. I'm going to see him tomorrow. What is Blue (is it what CVR calles Yellow run group?).

Thanks again!
Gary
Old 07-11-2005 | 03:59 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

let us know what conclusions you two come up with, what is your price range?
Old 07-11-2005 | 04:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

In the $30K area. What I DON'T want to do is get a car that pushes me into a class that is beyond my fledgling skills, I would rather add to the car a bit at a time. At least thats the way I see it at this point. I doing this to have FUN after all!
Old 07-11-2005 | 04:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Thanks, you guys are the best. I'm going to see him tomorrow. What is Blue (is it what CVR calles Yellow run group?).
Thanks again!
Gary
Blue = Yellow Sign/Off.

Some regions will have Blue run with White; other will have Yellow SignOff/Blue run with Green/Yellow.
Old 07-11-2005 | 04:47 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

I would buy a track version of what you already have. Not sure what your plans are with your existing car, but around $30,000 you can buy a solid early c2. Dan Jacbos is an expert. Hard to do a money shift in these cars, they make great power and can win in E class when you're ready. As long as you avoid the early c2 engine problems, most prepped cars will have, the motor will go forever on pump gas. All about suspension in these cars.
Old 07-11-2005 | 04:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I know Dan is big on the 964, we wil see!
Old 07-11-2005 | 05:10 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary R... if you are planing on Club Racing, any class will be a challenge, so don;t worry aobut it. IMHO I would stay in the stock classes... the GT classes are all about money and there are some awefully deep pockets out there. As an old 911 guy I'm biased, but F Stock is the most competitive class around... you will always be able to find folks to race with regardless of your skill level. G Stock is also pretty good.

Get the rulebook from the Club Racing web site and read it carefully. Be sure not to modify anything that would put you into a GT class. Something innocent like fiberglass fenders or a gearbox, or engine swap could put you against full-bore race cars... not good.

Especially if you are looking at a car that was DE only, almost all of them have something that might move you to a "prepared" class... upgraded brakes, slotted shock towers... again, this might make the car hopelessly uncompetitive...check the car carefully against the rules.

As a rule of thumb, you pretty much have to do everything the rules allow to even hope to be competitive... certainly you can do a couple of "exploratory" races as part of your rookie period with a car that is not full tilt... this really is a lerning period anyway... but once you start racing for position, you'll need the car maxed out.

I would highly recommend doing quite a bit of DE with the car before you start racing with it... you really need to be very comfortable with how the car handles before you race, so this will give you a period to sort it out.
Old 07-11-2005 | 05:15 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

E Stock is also very competive with good sized fields
Old 07-11-2005 | 05:34 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Ditto what everyone says about buying a built car with a logbook. there have been some terrific G cars for sale in the last six mos, check PCA classifieds, rennlist and the PCA racing magazine. G is a terrific class.
B

Quick Reply: Looking for a prepped DE and (eventually) Club Race 911